Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 10:34 AM

12 posts, read 97,295 times

Advertisements

Our family is relocating to Georgia. I have been researching the Alpharetta, Roswell, Lawrenceville, Norcross areas. I would like to hear from the moms who live in these areas who can offer valuable information regarding what they consider are the best schools. I have children in Elementary, Middle, and two going to High School this year. I am very concerned about the High School. I am looking for a property but want to locate the best schools and then find a house in those areas.

Also, I would love to hear from any south floridians (Miami) who have relocated to Georgia and what their experience has been like so far. Anyone else who has valuable information to a relocating family, please post your comments. We need all the help we can get. Thank you y'all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2006, 08:59 AM

27 posts, read 155,283 times
Default Another mom in search of info!

My husband is interviewing for a job north of Atlanta and I would love to hear from the moms out there as well! I have a preschooler and a 2nd grader. I'm thinking of the Suwanee, Lawrenceville, Buford area (proximity to husband's job). But I really want to know how welcoming the other moms are to new people! One of the reasons we are leaving the area we are in now is that the moms are "snooty" as my husband likes to say! It's as if they have enough friends and have no time to be nice to anyone else! We researched the town, school, etc. before we moved to this "perfect place" only to find that the people aren't nice to newcomers!! So much for searching the web!!
Any help will be appreciated!!!

Old 07-15-2006, 10:49 AM

Default I know what you mean

I know exactly what you are referring to. What part of the country are you residing in right now? Sounds alot like here. We did lots of research too before coming out here and it is not a great place to raise a family. The folks out here are very affluent and apparently that is all that matters. Manners are a thing of the past out here. Anyhow, I am with ya......If any moms out there can offer some good advice, please do. I am sure you can relate to how we are feeling. What we want is a decent environment and good schools for our children. Once we get situated on that, we can proceed in working out all the other details on the relocation. Thanks!

Old 07-15-2006, 11:09 AM

894 posts, read 4,349,918 times
Movingon...

I am also a floridian who is moving on, but we recently became empty nesters when our son left for college so schools are not the issue for us.

I think some of the areas you picked look good in terms of schools and such. There are many sites to research the schools, I know that greatschools.net is one, and you just need to dig deeper into the areas. And one would think that the schools have just gotta be better than in S. Florida. Ours was an "A" but my son has no idea how to write a paper, study or do homework. The FCATS took away all of that. Good thing he relied on his own smarts to get himself into FSU.

Good Luck!

Old 07-15-2006, 12:21 PM

Movingon,
We are in Texas...in a very affluent town. I wanted the "best" for my girls, but it's turned out that that's not what really matters! I'm hoping to find a place we all can call home complete with people that are happy to talk to us!

Old 07-15-2006, 01:35 PM

Well as it turns out, we are not too far from each other after all.....I am in Las Vegas, Summerlin to be exact. This is the very end of the city of Las Vegas. Homes out here have become not affordable for real families. Well, I guess the "snooty" attitude is not just happening here in my neighborhood. Well, I sure will keep you posted if I come across some good info. on schools, etc..... in Georgia. I did look up the GreatSchools.net website and it is valuable tool. Another website I came across is LiveinAlpharetta.com . Thank you ready2move for your helpful hints..... I would love to hear anything else from any locals with school age children that would prove useful in this relocation. Thanks y'all!

Old 07-15-2006, 02:09 PM

Default I love LV

Movingon,
I just love LV! We spent a week there in June! My husband actually looked into jobs there since it's my favorite place in the world, but as soon as I saw the houses we could afford (and the lack of a yard!) I said no way! I went to college in southern California and would go to Vegas all the time. But I can't imagine having no yard for the kids to play in. I thought Texas yards were small until I saw the ones in Vegas! I'm excited when I see the yards that some of the homes have in the Suwanee and Lawrenceville area. Lots of grass and trees, too! Can someone tell me if bugs are bad in Atlanta? Should we try to get a house with a screened in porch?
Thanks!

Old 07-15-2006, 02:17 PM

onthemove.....

yeap, out here only the older homes which are now in very undesirable neighborhoods are the ones with any acreage or yards. The home we live in now is listed for 500K and that would leave us with no vacations.....for an indefinite period of time. I am sold on Georgia. I have been applying to positions hoping I can land an interview within the next month. Before I moved out here.....Vegas was my favorite place in the whole world too. That is why we came out, but that was a different Vegas. Thanks so much for chatting.

Old 07-15-2006, 02:25 PM

Default Thanks!

Thank you, Movingon! I've added you as a buddy so I can look you up again!

Old 07-15-2006, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 12,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthemove
My husband is interviewing for a job north of Atlanta and I would love to hear from the moms out there as well! I have a preschooler and a 2nd grader. I'm thinking of the Suwanee, Lawrenceville, Buford area (proximity to husband's job). But I really want to know how welcoming the other moms are to new people! One of the reasons we are leaving the area we are in now is that the moms are "snooty" as my husband likes to say! It's as if they have enough friends and have no time to be nice to anyone else! We researched the town, school, etc. before we moved to this "perfect place" only to find that the people aren't nice to newcomers!! So much for searching the web!!
Any help will be appreciated!!!
On the Move,

My wife, Mary Anne, our son(13) and daughter(10) and I are planning to move to the western side of Atlanta - Douglasville, Carrollton, Villa Rica (maybe) within the next month. Your comments (and those of movingon007) concern me since we are pretty much using the same sources as both of you. Are you sure that the attitudes you are seeing are merely symptomatic of our society in general, or are your experiences particular to the region? I am not trying to put you on the spot, but I am trying to get objective information. What are your thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia