Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 06:58 PM

726 posts, read 2,818,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
The actual city sizes of Roswell, Sandy Springs, and John Creeks are smaller land wise, but city sizes are determined by population. I never liked it too much either. That's why Charlotte is bigger than Atlanta on paper but in reality we know which one is the larger city...I see your point.
Exactly......My point.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 08:49 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
Atlanta is the driving force.... take it away and it would be like pulling the power......
Why am I convinced that this is wishful thinking on your part?

Newsflash Newtown - we aren't going anywhere.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:35 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,100,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I think in the next 20 years that Roswell, Sandy Springs, and John Creeks will be larger than Augusta and Columbus too. They are not the main city in the area but only metro Atlanta cities are growing. The rest is pretty Stagnant besides Athens.
Augusta city population is growing and definitely isn't stagnant. You should visit Augusta sometime. In 2007-2008 Athens gained 3,000 people and grew at 1.5%. Augusta gained 6,000 people and grew at 1.2%. Savannah isn't stagnant either, in 07-08 the city gained 5,000 and grew at 1.4%.

In 2007-2008 Valdosta grew at 2.6% and gained 3,400. So in 2007-2008, Valdosta was the fastest growing city in GA. Atlanta was second then Athens, Savannah, and Augusta. When you compare growth rates.

Last edited by nortonguy; 09-02-2009 at 11:52 AM..

Old 09-02-2009, 11:53 AM

1,303 posts, read 3,856,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Augusta city population is growing and definitely isn't stagnant. You should visit Augusta sometime. In 2007-2008 Athens gained 3,000 people and grew at 1.5%. Augusta gained 6,000 people and grew at 1.2%. Savannah isn't stagnant either, in 07-08 the city gained 5,000 and grew at 1.4%.

In 2007-2008 Valdosta grew over 2.0%.
We really won't know till the next census how Augusta fared from 10 years ago. Let's hope the numbers are up from 2000.. the numbers between census are just estimates.. or guesstimates. The city is really pushing the census and getting people to send in their forms so they are counted. It would be ncie to break the 200K barrier.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:42 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
NO it LOOKs LIKE ATLANTA............................ And that's all it will be even known as and never a stand along city. Also if someone that is not from Atlanta, drivesor travels through this area and someone calls them on the phone and ask"where are you, the first thing that comes out is; I'm in Atlanta"........ NOT sandy springs................
That's ridiculous. That's like saying that Cambridge, MA looks like Boston, or Jersey City or Hoboken look like NYC, or Oakland, CA looks like San Francisco. There are many metro areas where the large anchor city has various smaller cities that border it. Only in the Atlanta do most people refer to where they live as the metro area. In Boston, you would not say.."I'm from Boston" if you were from Waltham or Cambridge, even though they are two cities that border on Boston.

Sandy Springs is a city that borders on Atlanta and is part of the Atlanta metro area. It's still a city...on its own. Do you think there must be some minimum number of miles between two cities for them to count? It's part of the metro Atlanta area, but that doesn't mean it's not a city...legally or in practice. The whole argument is absurd.

BTW....that picture I posted is Sandy Springs....not Atlanta.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
That's ridiculous. That's like saying that Cambridge, MA looks like Boston, or Jersey City or Hoboken look like NYC, or Oakland, CA looks like San Francisco. There are many metro areas where the large anchor city has various smaller cities that border it. Only in the Atlanta do most people refer to where they live as the metro area. In Boston, you would not say.."I'm from Boston" if you were from Waltham or Cambridge, even though they are two cities that border on Boston.

Sandy Springs is a city that borders on Atlanta and is part of the Atlanta metro area. It's still a city...on its own. Do you think there must be some minimum number of miles between two cities for them to count? It's part of the metro Atlanta area, but that doesn't mean it's not a city...legally or in practice. The whole argument is absurd.

BTW....that picture I posted is Sandy Springs....not Atlanta.

I know that, i have been there countless times.... but Sandy Springs will never have it own identity being in the shadow of ATL no matter how the pop increases... The one thing that sandy springs differ from those cities you mention above is, they all been incorporated cities for years with there own identities, which just happened to sprawled over by their hub cities... you can expect a city that is only a few years old to be this stand alone meca as well as being that close to ATL;Besides it just became a city, what about 2 years ago......

Old 09-03-2009, 08:44 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
The one thing that sandy springs differ from those cities you mention above is, they all been incorporated cities for years with there own identities, which just happened to sprawled over by their hub cities... you can expect a city that is only a few years old to be this stand alone meca as well as being that close to ATL;Besides it just became a city, what about 2 years ago......
I agree with you regarding the history of Sandy Springs, Milton, and Johns Creek, but look at Alpharetta, Roswell, and Marietta, just to name three cities that have existed for many years. The Atlanta metro area has grown and they have become integral parts of the metro, but they are still separate cities with Mayors, City Councils, and in some cases different agendas from the City of Atlanta. 20 years ago, Alpharetta wasn't even necessarily considered a key part of the metro area and was really on the outer fringe, as was Cumming. Cumming was considered the redneck boonies, and is now considered part of "Atlanta."

You pick Sandy Springs because it hasn't been a city for long, but the others have been cities for a long time and are in the same mold as the other metro areas that I mentioned.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:45 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
NO it LOOKs LIKE ATLANTA............................ And that's all it will be even known as and never a stand along city. Also if someone that is not from Atlanta, drivesor travels through this area and someone calls them on the phone and ask"where are you, the first thing that comes out is; I'm in Atlanta"........ NOT sandy springs................

Old 09-03-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
I know that, i have been there countless times.... but Sandy Springs will never have it own identity being in the shadow of ATL no matter how the pop increases... The one thing that sandy springs differ from those cities you mention above is, they all been incorporated cities for years with there own identities, which just happened to sprawled over by their hub cities... you can expect a city that is only a few years old to be this stand alone meca as well as being that close to ATL;Besides it just became a city, what about 2 years ago......

Yes that's true, But with a city like Atlanta as their Hub it's hard for people to recognized or acknowledge them separate from Atlanta; although they are.... Even with Warner Robins, Ga, it is one of fastest growing cities in Ga and it is still in Macon's shadow...... it's hard for suburban cities like Marietta, Sandy Springs, and etc to have there own identity when they rely on and have such a huge large driving force so near......

Old 09-04-2009, 10:01 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Wrong. Sandy Springs already HAS an identity, and has for years. Just because it is recently incorported takes nothing away from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia