Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 06:42 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,122,510 times

Advertisements

LOL

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,515 times
thank you i am doing a state study for abeka you helped alot

Old 03-23-2012, 04:48 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,234,974 times
Repost of updated data for this topic:

I pulled the combined statistical area populations because that is what seems important to me. The census says that if 2 metro areas have moderate employment exchange, they qualify for CMSAs. If you can pull workers from 2 close areas, it makes sense to combine them. Definition:

If specified criteria are met, adjacent metropolitan and micropolitan statistical areas, in various combinations, may become the components of a new set of areas called combined statistical areas (CSAs). Using Census Bureau data the OMB compiles lists of CSAs. The areas that combine retain their own designations as metropolitan or micropolitan statistical areas within the larger combined statistical area. There are 125 CSAs defined by OMB as of December 2009.

Note that CSAs represent multiple metropolitan or micropolitan areas that have a moderate degree of employment interchange.

Note: Augusta is not close to any other metropolitan areas according to the census and thus is not part of a CSA so its MSA population is listed.

City (CSA/MSA), 2010 Population, Percent change from 2000
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL CSA 5,618,431 +23.53%
Augusta-Richmond County, GA-SC MSA 556,877 +11.45%
Columbus-Auburn-Opelika, GA-AL CSA 456,564 +8.46%
Savannah-Hinesville-Fort Stewart, GA CSA 425,528 +16.61%
Macon-Warner Robins-Fort Valley, GA CSA 399,888 +12.08%

The good news is that every area is growing! Just thought it was interesting data.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:32 PM

2,487 posts, read 1,827,532 times
I find it funny how the Augusta MSA includes a part of South Carolina, but the Savannah MSA (or CSA for that matter) does not. Bluffton and Hilton Head South Carolina are definately a part of the Savannah area. Shame the Census Bereau does not include them.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:16 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,784,766 times
^^^ RIGHT YOU ARE BULLOCH RESIDENT! Every time I fly in or out of "Savannah-HILTON HEAD International Airport" or watch the local Savannah TV stations and endure the endless amount of news and commercials coming out of South Carolina, I ask myself the same thing. I know tons of people who live in GA and work in SC and vice versa yet the Census still hasn't gotten around to recognizing the "cross-pollenization" between the two states to create a "Savannah-Hinesville-Hilton Head CSA." if it did so based on the 2010 Census it would have a population of 612,538 people! You could even make the argument that STATESBORO belongs in the Savannah CSA because so many people go back and forth between the two. That would give the combined CSA a population pushing 700,000 -- far and away the largest of any of Georgia's second-tier cities outside Metro Atlanta.

Another couple of ways at looking at this is with RTZ (retail trade zone) and DMA (designated market area) for broadcast advertising. Both Arbitron (radio) and Nielsen (TV) consider Savannah and Hilton Head ONE MARKET; many of the Savannah stations also brand themselves as Savannah-Hilton Head just like the airport does, for marketing purposes. For comparison's sake, Savannah's TV DMA (which covers all the areas I've mentioned above: Hilton Head, Statesboro and Hinesville) is the 92nd largest in the country with 338,085 households. That is SIGNIFICANTLY larger than the next biggest Georgia market in Augusta, which is ranked 111th with 257,030 HH. Macon is the 118th largest market with 245,910 HH while Columbus is fourth in the state and 127th in the nation with 215,410. These figures are all for 2012 BTW and more current then even the census!

THE POINT BEING: Any way you slice it, Savannah is FAR AND AWAY the second-largest market in Georgia after ATL for not just population, but media, retail sales, tourism, air travel, etc. The unique location of Savannah at the nexus of two interstate highways and the explosive growth in Georgia's ports, along with the far more desirable factor of living on the coast rather than inland, is only going to excel growth in Savannah's CSA over the state's other urban areas. I can easily see a metro population of 1 million plus in Savannah-Hilton Head within 20 years.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:03 AM

2,487 posts, read 1,827,532 times
As of right now, including Statesboro is kind of pushing it. Especially since the southeastern part of Bulloch is still very VERY rural. Still, I'm happy you agree on the issue of South Carolina.

I decided to do more research into that, and it seems that Beaufort is its own Micropolitan area sandwitched between Charleston and Savannah, so maybe that's why the CBA is stubborn on not including South Carolina in Savannah's MSA. Still, I think that's no excuse. I can't even count the number of times I hear "Buffton" whenever I watch WSAV news 3.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:26 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,015,830 times
The problem is Hilton Head has it's own economy away from Savannah.. It's not even apart of the CSA yet, let alone the joining the MSA...

This whole time I thought Augusta was the second largest market.. That's the reason why developers seem to think we can support Costco, Apple, PF Changs, Imax, Sephora, Pandora, Tutti Frutti, Chop House, etc...

For example Augusta has Fresh Market/Earthfare/Costco and Sephora/Ulta/Bare Essecentuals..

The 115 acre Village at Riverwatch will attract restaurants and retail not coming to the other 2nd tier cities anytime soon. Costco is already one example of this dynamic..

Old 03-25-2012, 01:11 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,784,766 times
On paper you are right, Nortonguy - Augusta would appear to be the second-largest market due to MSA population. You make a good point about Hilton Head being a secondary market to Savannah, but I think the same can be said for Aiken. Aside from
North Augusta which is right across the river from your downtown, I think the rest of Aiken County probably identifies with SC rather than GA. The completion of I-520 through the Palmetto State may eventually change that. I've read some it your posts about the impact that has had on increased air traffic at Bush Field.

One of the facts you frequently point out is that Augusta is the only Georgia metro with TWO "suburban" counties with 100,000+ populations. While technically true, this fails to acknowledge the fact that growth in Augusta-Richmond County is stagnant -- fewer than 1,000 people added between 2000-2010. Chatham County on the other hand is not only the LARGEST Georgia county outside metro Atlanta with 265,000 residents as of 2010, it grew by 33,000 people over the last 10 years! That's on top of the record -setting population growth in our immediate core suburban counties of Bryan and Effingham, among the fastest growing in the state. Even without the last decade's remarkable population growth in South Carolina ( largely driven by retirees) the Savannah region remains the fastest growing in Georgia outside Metro Atlanta, thus why it has risen so quickly among rankings for media market.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:14 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,015,830 times
Both Aiken County and Edgefield county identify with GA more than SC..

I don't know why you're bringing up the previous decade when it's the year 2012.. The previous decade can't relate to this one in terms of growth, because have over $20 billion tied up in three projects(MOX, NSA, Plant Vogtle) being invested into our MSA by 2018...

Richmond County is growing much FASTER this decade, and can't be compared to 2000-2010 at all.. Two new walmarts(including the first neighborhood market in the state), 115 acre Village at Riverwatch, $115 million Rockwood Plant, $172 million Starbucks plant, $1 billion NSA, renovated Regal Theatre, Whites condo building, etc...

Let's see what happpens over the following decade...

Last edited by nortonguy; 03-25-2012 at 09:38 AM..

Old 03-25-2012, 07:12 PM

37,795 posts, read 41,505,631 times
There's no sinister motive on the part of the Census Bureau/OMB for not having the Beaufort area (Beaufort/Jasper counties) included in the Savannah metro area. That area simply does not meet the commuting threshold for inclusion. It is tied with Savannah in many ways, but the commuting strength isn't quite there yet. Perhaps a valid argument could be made to expand the criteria to include other things that were mentioned like DMA, but as it stands, it's simply a function of numbers that's easily quantifiable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia