Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 10:59 PM

1 posts, read 8,258 times

Advertisements

Howdy I would like to go to Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) for animation. ive already talked to admissions people about which campus would be better for animation and stuff like that, and basically there is no difference. so as far as the cities go, which do people prefer? I really like rural areas, but i could take a city if its clean and what not. savannah is "coastal" but from google earth it looks like it has a bunch of marshes or something, so its not the typical california beach id be used to (I am from southern california). Is atlanta near the appalachian trail (Springer Mountain?), or at least near the Appalachian mountains? Is there a difference between the weather of the two cities?
Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 08:51 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
You need to take a few days to visit BOTH cities to see for yourself what they're like. If you're from the West Coast there is no way you can get a feel for either place unless you actually visit, as they're night and day. Atlanta is a metro area of 5+ million, land-locked, often referred to as the "L.A. of the east" (traffic), sprawling, busybusyrushrush, etc. Savannah is old South, laid back, coastal, etc. The Savannah art school is however, considered extremely good.

Your best bet - fly into Atlanta. Spend 3 or so days here. Bring a friend. Rent a car, drive to Savannah (4.5 hours from Atlanta), check it out for 2-3 days and go home. You'll appreciate the trouble.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:26 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
I agree with everything stated above except what I wrote below. Check everything out first in person. The SCAD Savannah (Main campus) is really all of downtown Savannah. There are buildings scattered all around. It makes for an interesting campus.

Depending on what part of Atlanta, the drive is usually between 3.5 and 4 hours driving the speed limit with no traffic delays. (Usually its more like 3.5 from downtown ATL)

Old 09-16-2009, 04:20 PM

199 posts, read 627,704 times
savannah does have a nice beach out at tybee island. you will think you are in fl. !! only a few minute drive from uptown savannah. unless you like all the rush hour stopped traffic and 1-2 hour delays, i would suggest savannah.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:51 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
I don't think people generally 'prefer' one city over the other...they are as different as night and day, one is much larger than the other, and each is appreciated for what it is. I see Savannah and Atlanta as nice compliments to each other...a 'yin and yang', if you will. Loosely speaking, think of Savannah as GA's San Francisco, and Atlanta as Los Angeles.
Savannah is beautiful, walkable and steeped in history...you will love the campus there, which is spread out throughout the historic district. Some of the buildings are located in somewhat sketchy areas, but I think that if you get your bearings and use due caution, you'll be fine.
Atlanta's campus is smaller, of course, and much more contained; most of the school is in the old Equifax Building (excellently located at the transition from Midtown to Buckhead), with '3-D arts' such as sculpture located in the ACA Building adjacent to the High Museum of Art. This is in the heart of Midtown, BTW...an excellent neighborhood with some great housing options (including the dorms, located nearby).
My daughter is in her third year at SCAD Atlanta, and loves it...the enrollment is increasing rapidly. Her assessment of the faculty is that they are generally on par with Savannah, but Savannah still has the edge on Atlanta in the Illustration Dept. Much ballyhoo is being made on this thread about Atlanta traffic, but she and many of her friends live near the school and generally utilize the mass transportation system. Since the school is located in Midtown, most amenities are located within walking distance, and they can go weeks without seeing an expressway.

savannah is "coastal" but from google earth it looks like it has a bunch of marshes or something, so its not the typical california beach id be used to (I am from southern california).

Yes, the GA coast is nothing like CA's. It's a string of coastal islands, separated from the mainland by marshland and estuaries...quite beautiful in its' way. Savannah is about 10 miles from the beach (Tybee Island).

Is atlanta near the appalachian trail (Springer Mountain?), or at least near the Appalachian mountains? Is there a difference between the weather of the two cities?

The mountains start about 1 hour from Atlanta...the Trail itself is about 1.5 hrs. away.
Yes, there is a bit of a difference in weather between the two cities, particularly in the winter. Savannah is balmier and feels more subtropical; Atlanta, being to the north and in the Appalachian foothills, feels winter a bit more keenly.
Still, both enjoy a good climate IMO. I think it boils down to whether you want to matriculate in the bustle of a large, modern city or in a smaller, more historic one.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:23 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,419,786 times
As the previous posters have mentioned, we are talking about night and day. Also, Atlanta is in the north central portion of the state and Savannah is on the coast. It's a beautiful place, but also very humid (especially in the summer). Keep that in mind since you are coming from California.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:42 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times
If you like rural areas, I'm not sure you'll like anything near ATL's core. I believe Savannah would be right for you. Savannah is a very cool city for it's size, with unique beauty/structure/history than the rest of GA. It offers urban amenities without the hassle, congestion, and headaches of a major city like ATL.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:22 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
I wouldn't quite cast Savannah as rural...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia