U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 01:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,938 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody i need your help im movin from miami to either columbia, greenville, or augusta. I could use your help if u live in or around the Metro Augusta area. I have a brother who stays in Atlanta & since i dont want to move their he said the augusta area is the 2nd best. I am divorced with 2 kids & i need good schools for my children i have been told that davidson & AR Johnson are great schools in augusta are there any others. My friend says augusta stacks up against greenville but what about columbia is it as nice as columbia i know charlotte is much bigger & more traffic. Is this true i hear Augusta is getting a spaghetti junction & a highway not sure of the name is being renovated to connect martinez, & evans to downtown and the medical district. Is traffic a major problem or only in certain parts of the city. Because i want to live no more than 30 minutes from the city. People are saying evans, west augusta, grovetown, north augusta, and south augusta have nice areas. I did some research what about martinez, thomson, aiken or harlem. What area is the nicest and has the most things to do like shop,eat, etc. I hear evans is predominatly white i have no problem with with white woman jessica simpson is very attractive. But i am a african american male who is a doctor that may accept a new job at MCG. Will i have to date in richmond county to find a black or even brown woman. I know GA is the second blackest state & that atlanta has the richest black people in the U.S. they have alot of upper class blacks, does Augusta have alot i hear Belair Estates is a rich black neighborhood full of proffesionals are there any more. Any info on the augusta area will be nice thanks!!!!!

Last edited by Miami Boy; 05-02-2007 at 01:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 06:18 AM

275 posts, read 1,207,765 times
Wow...Alot of questions. I live in Evans which is outside of Augusta, most of the information you have been told is true, except South Augusta. If you have kids you do not want any part of Richmond County schools. (Augusta) As far as the black/white thing you will find plenty of "brown" or "black" women to choose from I'm sure.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:38 PM

43 posts, read 186,289 times
Richmond County schools are not bad its just kids who dont go to college take the SAT which make GA scores lower than other states who have only kids that are goin to college take the test. Why do kids graduate from Richmond County High Schools every year & go off to college if their so bad. Augusta offers AP Classes at Richmond Academy why have such hard classes & huge workloads if theres no students to do the work. Why are Davidson and AR Johnson 2 of the best schools not only in Augusta but the whole state, along with C.T. Walker. The news just makes ppl think richmond county schools are not good, because they never report problems that happen in columbia county because they are hidden by the school board, their friends work for the media, or there paid off. If you live in augusta & watch the news you wouldnt even know Augusta has two of the top Schools in the state when it comes to SAT scores. But i bet you will know when something negative happen like a student had drugs or somethin. Perception is reality i know plenty of people who went to schools in richmond county like westside, richmond, or butler who graduated from GA Tech, UGA, and they are very successful now. Moderator cut: off topic/racist remarks

Old 05-03-2007, 12:17 PM

275 posts, read 1,207,765 times
Augga706, clearly you have a political agenda here. But if Richmond county is so great, then why is all the growth in Columbia County? Miami Boy, come take a look for yourself.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:05 AM

43 posts, read 186,289 times
evans, martinez, & grovetown are growing but columbia county population is 106,000 and richmond county is 200,000 so with all its growth is still 100,000 ppl short aiken county has more with 145,000. Richmond County is growing downtown added 50-60 businesses, augusta mall expansion, new library, new terminal at airport, 2 10ft watermark condos, 15-20ft judicial center, convention/exhibiton center, I-20 520 interchange, MCG & University expansion, J.B. Whites building retail/residential, forum of augusta, augusta canal, james brown museum, new stadium downtown, possible water park downtown & still proposed race track in south augusta or somewhere else.

West Augusta(most urban area nice homes on belair rd & jimmie dyess )
South Augusta(has the most land & is probably growing faster than west added 2 elem schools and plans to build a middle & high)
East Augusta(Historic areas like harrisburg, laney walker, & east boundary being rennovated. Downtown getting (mostly retail/residential)

Last edited by augga706; 05-04-2007 at 03:14 AM..

Old 07-10-2007, 02:11 PM

18 posts, read 63,940 times
Default For the Kids!

I reside in and taught in Richmond County Schools. From the years I was employed in that school system, I can tell you the schools are in deplorable condition. I am a well educated, Black female who resides in the county, also. What you have heard is true as far as which areas are wealthy and safe. Unfortunately, the schools are in disarray. I teach in Burke county and find that many of the children in my neighborhood and even those whom I've taught in Richmond County are migrating to neighboring school districts due to the fact that the schools are so terrible. Therefore, if you do accept a job at MCG (great place to work) then you will probably find that your best options are enrolling your children in Columbia county schools, Burke county schools, or some private institution. Columbia county has less diversity than the predominately Black Richmond county, but there is a significant amount of professional Blacks in the area. I should know since I visit them often. Richmond county is on a downward spiral evident from the migration of EVERYONE out of here. Taxes are high, there is nothing much to do except visit neighboring counties, and the amount of violence/crime amongst the natives is ridiculous. For your children's safety, don't put them in these schools and don't reside in Richmond. Visit Richmond, Columbia, Aiken, and Burke counties and you will see the differences easily. Good luck!

Old 07-11-2007, 05:59 AM

634 posts, read 2,750,195 times
Augusta hands down!

Old 07-11-2007, 10:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,744 times
August is not soooo bad and it is growing. I am military and have been here for two years and haven't been killed yet. But you must keep in mind that running away from an area doesn't help. People we have to reinvest in our own community. Georgia is not just Atlanta or Columbia county. As far as placing your kids in a good school the only thing I can recommend is to shop around read the stats and just pick what's best for you and your kids. My children attend private school, yes, in Richmond county. Don't throw Augusta just yet. And like i said Richmond County should not be just written off. Everything white ain't alway right.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:14 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,668,897 times
No doubt about it.. Greenville, SC. The economy is vibrant.. The Augusta area is fine.. if you want to work in a call center or a Wal-Mart.
Greenville has a very nice downtown.. is fairly cosmopolitan for a medium sized city.. lots of good restaurants.. lots of educated professionals.
Columbia County is nothing but a suburb of Augusta.. it's pretty bland and generic.. good school system (pretty typical of middle class suburb)... bt not very cosmopolitan or interesting.. Most of the ppl work in Augusta.. Columbia, SC is also nice.. it has a college town vibe.. nice downtown.. but with Greenville you are just a stone's throw from the mountains.. ton's of outdoor activities. The Augusta area would be last on my list. Visit all three thoroughly and I'm sure you will come to the same conclusion.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:59 PM

22 posts, read 105,247 times
LOL, and you can move to the Greenville area and work in one of the hundreds of FACTORIES that make its landscape so beautiful and cosmopolitan!!

and btw, Greenville to me (and I live there) seems to be the most bland and generic town in the South. Its downtown is nice...really nice, but apart from that is no different than any other mid sized city in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or