Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 06:40 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,785 times

Advertisements

All crime statistics are relative and cannot be taken as gospel. There are variables that are discussed throughout this thread. If you need more proof that one should not take crime statistics without considering methods, here is another one that ranks Columbus 11th nationwide and Macon following them at 25th. Funny as I don't feel anymore threatened or safer in Columbus than Macon, at least the parts where I spend time.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2009...9_Rank_Rev.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 01:01 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
rcsteiner, I'm not sure but I'm guessing the Cochran person was comparing the individual cities of the suburban ATL counties to Macon, and was calling them smaller. Bibb County is much less populated than the core suburban counties of Atlanta, of course.

I think I can understand where he/she might be coming from though. I hear about the crime problems in Clayton, Dekalb and various parts of Gwinnett/Cobb.

The crime rate in Macon is listed as being so much higher than those places because the population is so much smaller, but I'm pretty sure I'd be more worried about the crime spots in those counties than I would in Macon/Bibb.

In suburban ATL you have not only the traditional Crips, Bloods, and Folks gangs...but now you have to worry about the even more violent hispanic gangs like Latin Kings, Sur 13, and the most dangerous gang in the world MS-13. Mexican Cartels are even big in Suburban ATL, and Atlanta is now a major drug distribution center for the ENTIRE COUNTRY. We dont have to worry about most of that in Macon.

I'm not downing those places as of course they have a TON of nice areas, but I agree with Cochran in a way. Macon gets a worse rap than those places, yet the criminal organizations and activity there is much more organized with more violent gangs and characters roaming around. This is why I say it's much better for people to judge crime rates based off zip codes or neighborhoods of their interest instead of just relying on the broad rates given for entire cities or counties...because like I said above ...Macon, Albany, etc. will have crime rates listed as being higher, yet you wont have to run into the majority of those things in those cities that I named which are prevalent in suburban Atlanta counties
As some one who grew up in W.R. and in my last year of High School in Clayton County(Rex-near Henry).Clayton is not as bad as people think it.As least not universally.The only counties that gangs are really major are in Gwinnet.Not saying gangs do exist but on an organized level Atlanta is not as major as many other cities.Yes Atlanta is a major distribution for drugs,but you really don't hear of all the gangland type violence.I guess because its not so much a "turf" war.More for logistics.These people set up shop in some quiet suburban neighborhood, blend in and keep low profiles.

Macon has had the reputation of being crime ridden and gang plague since I was a kid in the late 80-to present.I remember for years especially in the mid 90's how the gang problem was always mentioned as a culprit for most of the violent armed robberies of restaurants particularly in North Macon and around the Macon Mall.Macon for such a small city has become smaller due to the crime.Macon population at one point was more than 120,000 people in the 1960-70's,Today its less tha 94,000. Regardless of what is "perception versus reality",perception (at least in Macon's case)has done even more damage,although I do believe that there is or was a large bit of truth that should be associated with it.

Gangs have virtually taken over some small cities,because the local police do not have the resources that larger cities have.
Now I agree Macon is not as bad as people make it,but it is my contention that is quickly changing and is in danger of becoming a Camden NJ.I really like Macon and have always pulled for it,but that anti Macon sentiment of its surrounding areas has become

Old 12-15-2009, 03:28 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
afonega1, I don't think Clayton Co. or Macon are as bad as made out. I know there are nice places to live in all of them, I was just taking a stab at what I believe the guy from Cochran was trying to say, and yeah Gwinnett was the main county I was referring to, but pretty much all of those counties have a larger variety and more well organized gangs involved in their criminal activity than Macon.

Macon's stats look really bad because of limited city limit boundaries. Almost everything that's technically counted as Macon city limits are rough areas. Even without consolidating with the county, simply annexing all of Riverside Dr. and the area up by Tom Hill, etc and portions of East Macon that arent listed in the city population...would significantly drop the rate.

The Westside of town out by the mall, and pockets just out from downtown on the southside account for the vast majority of the crime...If you arent venturing around those areas late at night then you should be just fine in the rest of Macon.

Macon does have a large amount of "Crips" and "Folks" gangbangers.....but that's largely revolved around middle and high schoolers starting fights at school and bball games or something.

I remember a time when you literally couldnt go to the Macon Mall on the weekend without it being packed with thugs everywhere. This was when they had a movie theatre across the parking lot, I was a young teen then. Atleast that isn't going on any more.

The one thing I can agree with and deserves all the negativity it gets is Bibb County Public Schools, but the city/county as a whole....slammed far too much

Old 12-16-2009, 01:17 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
afonega1, I don't think Clayton Co. or Macon are as bad as made out. I know there are nice places to live in all of them, I was just taking a stab at what I believe the guy from Cochran was trying to say, and yeah Gwinnett was the main county I was referring to, but pretty much all of those counties have a larger variety and more well organized gangs involved in their criminal activity than Macon.

Macon's stats look really bad because of limited city limit boundaries. Almost everything that's technically counted as Macon city limits are rough areas. Even without consolidating with the county, simply annexing all of Riverside Dr. and the area up by Tom Hill, etc and portions of East Macon that arent listed in the city population...would significantly drop the rate.

The Westside of town out by the mall, and pockets just out from downtown on the southside account for the vast majority of the crime...If you arent venturing around those areas late at night then you should be just fine in the rest of Macon.

Macon does have a large amount of "Crips" and "Folks" gangbangers.....but that's largely revolved around middle and high schoolers starting fights at school and bball games or something.

I remember a time when you literally couldnt go to the Macon Mall on the weekend without it being packed with thugs everywhere. This was when they had a movie theatre across the parking lot, I was a young teen then. Atleast that isn't going on any more.

The one thing I can agree with and deserves all the negativity it gets is Bibb County Public Schools, but the city/county as a whole....slammed far too much
Well I guess we do agree.My whole thing is that people still have the perception that Macon is that bad.It hurting its image and ability to grow.Columbus,Augusta,and Macon are pretty much equal in my opinion as far as the crime in reality vs perception.I fear that Macon however has is dangerously close to turning that corner of say;Camden N.J. where too many people think there is no saving grace.Not yet but,if things keep "appearing" to go bad,then it might as well be "the truth".

Old 12-28-2009, 12:55 PM

8 posts, read 30,649 times
You didn't notice that cobb county had a crime problem because its bigger than the eye can see.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:02 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CochranGA934 View Post
You didn't notice that cobb county had a crime problem because its bigger than the eye can see.
Not if you stand on top of Kennesaw Mountain.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:10 AM

8 posts, read 30,649 times
I'm not sure of the actual size of cobb county only thing I know is that its the metro area of Atlanta in I wasn't talking about population I was talking About size of the city limits ,and by the way watch tv cobb county has made the history channel due to a large increase gangs as well as organized crime. THANKS

Last edited by CochranGA934; 01-20-2010 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: misspellings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia