U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2007, 08:39 AM

11 posts, read 35,346 times

Advertisements

I want a renovated Victorian within a block or two by sidewalk of a downtown with a pub or coffee shop where I can read, write or grade papers. Anything like this in Lagrange?

Is Lagrange a nice place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 08:49 AM

8,862 posts, read 15,346,069 times
Google says>>>
http://tinyurl.com/yq628h (broken link)

I am certain that La Grange is a nice place to live. It is in west GA--Troup county--textile manufacturing was once the major industry--certain that there have been some changes.

I have seen 'a lot' of nice places to live in GA. Maybe you would like Flowery Branch? Perhaps more rustic --but that seems like a good area to me--Buford, Suwanee, Cumming, Gainesville, Braselton--a nice mix of old and new.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:24 PM

11 posts, read 61,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddle View Post
I want a renovated Victorian within a block or two by sidewalk of a downtown with a pub or coffee shop where I can read, write or grade papers. Anything like this in Lagrange?

Is Lagrange a nice place to live?
I know of a soon to be retired couple who are moving to LaGrange and can't say enough good about it. They love it. They've already purchased a home there but are just waiting to make the permanent move from South Florida. (Previous to South Florida the wife was from North Carolina.) Apparently it doesn't have the traffic and crowding problems since it's not in the "metro Atlanta" area, and with Columbus pretty close by, she claims they would lack for nothing. She's a friend of my dad, so he keeps urging me to "Check out LaGrange!".

Old 05-07-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjstole View Post
I know of a soon to be retired couple who are moving to LaGrange and can't say enough good about it. They love it. They've already purchased a home there but are just waiting to make the permanent move from South Florida. (Previous to South Florida the wife was from North Carolina.) Apparently it doesn't have the traffic and crowding problems since it's not in the "metro Atlanta" area, and with Columbus pretty close by, she claims they would lack for nothing. She's a friend of my dad, so he keeps urging me to "Check out LaGrange!".

Thanks for this.

There are rumors that the college where I teach is considering property in LaGrange to relocate its campus. I [i]could[i] conceivably commute from my present home in Fayetteville, but the prospect of finding a Victorian home in their historic district is inviting.
I'll soon know whether the rumors prove to be true.

Meanwhile, I, too, am a South Floridian, having grown up in the Pompano Beach/Deerfield/Boca Raton area. I miss it at times, but things have changed drastically since I left in the '70's.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:34 AM

What a small world! We actually live in Pompano Beach (I was born and raised in Broward county) and are planning to relocate to Georgia when my husband finishes his 30 years of service with the County next year (to lower our cost of living, and hopefully raise our quality of life!). We're just trying to figure out where in Georgia. We would like to be within a days drive of South Florida. We've checked out the Henry county area and like it very much, but are concerned about the traffic to/from Atlanta. We've started to check areas further west like Sharpsburg/Newnan etc. Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated as well.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
What a small world! We actually live in Pompano Beach (I was born and raised in Broward county) and are planning to relocate to Georgia when my husband finishes his 30 years of service with the County next year (to lower our cost of living, and hopefully raise our quality of life!). We're just trying to figure out where in Georgia. We would like to be within a days drive of South Florida. We've checked out the Henry county area and like it very much, but are concerned about the traffic to/from Atlanta. We've started to check areas further west like Sharpsburg/Newnan etc. Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated as well.
How funny! My wife graduated from PBHS in 1974. I attended Deerfield for my freshman and sophomore years. I should have graduated from either Pompano or Deerfield (I went a while to each) in 1975, but skipped too much to go surfing and was invited by the dean at Pompano to leave permanently. (I worked for the City of Lighthouse Point for a couple of years, then got my G.E.D., followed by several college and grad degrees, culminating in a Ph.D. from U. of Wisconsin-Madison--but that's another story!)

I spent some of my most formative years through the 60s in a house in LHP--just across from Shopper's Haven. My wife's family lived just off of the 14th street causeway, having moved there when the "causeway" was still a jungle.

My dad was on the Pompano PD all through the 60s and 70s, then he was with LHP for a while. He was the harbor patrolman (great job!) for a while for both cities.

I have a cousin about to retire from the Broward Sheriff's Dept. after 30+ years as a cycle cop.

I wonder if we have mutual acquaintances?

Our main Florida connection now is in Cocoa Beach, where my mom has a place on the beach. I still love Florida, and, but for kids and grandkids up this way, would be very tempted to move to the Cocoa Beach area.

Where to look in Georgia? I guess it all depends on what you want. We are in our 10th year in north Fayette county. As I mentioned in another post, the north end of the county in particular is undergoing significant demographic changes, as the African American population is on the rise.
People are drawn to Fayette county for the school system, primarily, I think, as the schools have consistently ranked at or near the top in Georgia. Peachtree City to our south has boasted a great quality of life for a long time. Much property there is expensive, but my daughter and her husband found a starter home--a small 3/1 ranch for just over $100k--and it is in a neighborhood with great parks and is linked to the trail system. South Fayette county--around Brooks or Woolsey--still has a rural feel, but that may change as developers eye land out that way. I like Senoia, right on the Coweta-Fayette line. Lots of old homes and a bit of an old downtown.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:16 PM

Hey Muddle -Wow, it's getting even stranger with more coincidences! My son is getting ready to graduate from PBHS in a couple of weeks. The school has been completely rebuilt with all brand new buildings and is one of the top high schools in Florida (ranked at #13 statewide, I think). It's an all magnet school in which you have to apply and qualify to go there and keep a certain GPA to stay. I graduated from Ft. Lauderdale High in 1974. I didn't know too many from Pompano and Deerfield, (mostly just kids from FLHS and Northeast), but I did used to hang with the surfers at Ft Laud Beach in 1971/72. So our paths may have crossed.

You sound a little like my husband who dropped out of HS (in San Diego) but later went back to college to get a bachelors. He's been a senior planner with Broward county transit for many years now. I worked for seven years at the city of Margate as a systems analyst until a couple of years ago, when I "semi-retired" to homeschool my daughter for a year, but now staying home to prepare for a big move when hubby retires. My daughter is finishing 7th grade, so we'd like to make the move before she starts high school. We'd like a decent and good school, but it doesn't have to be the type for the super academic achievers, since I don't think she fits that mold. Hopefully one which encourages good basic values and inspires a love for learning. In earlier years our kids attended Christian schools, which was great, but it got to be too expensive with all the rising housing costs here, so they've been in public school for the past few years. I've been impressed with the rankings of the schools in Fayette, but would hope they're decent enough in Coweta to not need to go back to private (easier on the wallet anyway ).

Also, housing costs are a big concern since we don't know yet what type of work my husband will do there. He's actually thinking about teaching... do you know if there's a big demand for teachers? It seems with all the growth and building of new schools there might be. And I like what I see on the internet as far as housing in the Senoia / Sharpsburg area. Looks like many of the homes are on an acre or more, which we would really like, and the prices seem quite reasonable. (Fayette and Peach Tree seem a bit pricey.) Is it a bit rural there still? We like a country feel but not too remote (close enough to shopping etc).

Well, better wrap this up. Thanks for your comments - it's so interesting to hear from someone who had ties down here on a somewhat parallel tract. You've been very helpful. Any further info would be mucho appreciato. Seems like old Georgia is flooded with folks coming from South Florida so we may as well join the club! Take care and God bless. tj

ps - I have a brother and family who just recently moved to the Satellite Beach area (right next to Cocoa). Just another "coincidence" I thought you might find amusing.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Hey Muddle -Wow, it's getting even stranger with more coincidences! My son is getting ready to graduate from PBHS in a couple of weeks. The school has been completely rebuilt with all brand new buildings and is one of the top high schools in Florida (ranked at #13 statewide, I think). It's an all magnet school in which you have to apply and qualify to go there and keep a certain GPA to stay. I graduated from Ft. Lauderdale High in 1974. I didn't know too many from Pompano and Deerfield, (mostly just kids from FLHS and Northeast), but I did used to hang with the surfers at Ft Laud Beach in 1971/72. So our paths may have crossed.

You sound a little like my husband who dropped out of HS (in San Diego) but later went back to college to get a bachelors. He's been a senior planner with Broward county transit for many years now. I worked for seven years at the city of Margate as a systems analyst until a couple of years ago, when I "semi-retired" to homeschool my daughter for a year, but now staying home to prepare for a big move when hubby retires. My daughter is finishing 7th grade, so we'd like to make the move before she starts high school. We'd like a decent and good school, but it doesn't have to be the type for the super academic achievers, since I don't think she fits that mold. Hopefully one which encourages good basic values and inspires a love for learning. In earlier years our kids attended Christian schools, which was great, but it got to be too expensive with all the rising housing costs here, so they've been in public school for the past few years. I've been impressed with the rankings of the schools in Fayette, but would hope they're decent enough in Coweta to not need to go back to private (easier on the wallet anyway ).

Also, housing costs are a big concern since we don't know yet what type of work my husband will do there. He's actually thinking about teaching... do you know if there's a big demand for teachers? It seems with all the growth and building of new schools there might be. And I like what I see on the internet as far as housing in the Senoia / Sharpsburg area. Looks like many of the homes are on an acre or more, which we would really like, and the prices seem quite reasonable. (Fayette and Peach Tree seem a bit pricey.) Is it a bit rural there still? We like a country feel but not too remote (close enough to shopping etc).

Well, better wrap this up. Thanks for your comments - it's so interesting to hear from someone who had ties down here on a somewhat parallel tract. You've been very helpful. Any further info would be mucho appreciato. Seems like old Georgia is flooded with folks coming from South Florida so we may as well join the club! Take care and God bless. tj

ps - I have a brother and family who just recently moved to the Satellite Beach area (right next to Cocoa). Just another "coincidence" I thought you might find amusing.
You might want to visit the blog site for the Fayette County newspaper:

www.thecitizennews.com

It's a pretty active forum. Were you to post a blog there with questions about the area--including Coweta--I suspect you would receive a lot of helpful replies.

I remember when the Margate area was largely undeveloped and at the edge of the glades. My dad used to take me out there fishing in the canals. My boy scout troop used to hold its jamborees in Coral Springs in a huge area that was really wild. That is probably all golf courses and strip malls now.

The south Florida of the early 60s was a paradise. We used to go to the beach at spots in Boca (e.g., north side of the inlet or the radar tower installation up by Red Rock) and have the place to ourselves all day long. All of that has given way to condos, etc.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddle View Post
You might want to visit the blog site for the Fayette County newspaper:

www.thecitizennews.com

It's a pretty active forum. Were you to post a blog there with questions about the area--including Coweta--I suspect you would receive a lot of helpful replies.

I remember when the Margate area was largely undeveloped and at the edge of the glades. My dad used to take me out there fishing in the canals. My boy scout troop used to hold its jamborees in Coral Springs in a huge area that was really wild. That is probably all golf courses and strip malls now.

The south Florida of the early 60s was a paradise. We used to go to the beach at spots in Boca (e.g., north side of the inlet or the radar tower installation up by Red Rock) and have the place to ourselves all day long. All of that has given way to condos, etc.
Thanks for the tip, the website looks quite helpful.

Yep, South FL is so different now. When my parents eloped and came here in the 1940's anything west of Powerline (and especially 441) was pretty much the boondocks. We grew up in Wilton Manors, which was a sort of "Leave it to Beaver" quaint town, but it's completely different now with a whole new demographic... Oh well, I'm sure the Georgia folks are probably bemoaning what's happening to their quaint towns as well.

Take care and thanks again for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia