Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 11:53 AM

20 posts, read 58,070 times

Advertisements

Hi, My family and I are thinking of moving to GA next year...we have been doing research and found a high number of Klans

My our kids are black/white and not used to this kind of thing...so is there any where to move in GA that is free from KKK rally's....I know racism is everywhere but not the KKK rallys.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a diverse area, that has good schools, free from rallys and where I can find a house on at least a acre that would be good "country" living.

Thanks for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 01:05 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanya_4 View Post
Hi, My family and I are thinking of moving to GA next year...we have been doing research and found a high number of Klans
This surprises me. While I'm not surprised to see a certain amount of individual intolerance in rural areas, for example, I would think a smart KKK group would keep itself under the table and out of view.

Then again, maybe "smart" and "KKK" are an uncommon pairing.

Since you've found a "high number of Klans", maybe you could post a few of them here so people who live in those areas can try to validate or debunk the information sources you've been finding. I personally would be surprised if there were any active groups within the state, but I might also be a yankee with rose-colored glasses when it comes to this topic.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:27 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Where did you find a "high number of clans"? Is there a klan directory????

While racism still exists in GA (and everwhere else), the chances of getting a cross burned on your lawn are slim to none. You asked last week about Lawrenceville and Canton and got the info you asked for- what happened to that?

Old 10-09-2009, 02:13 PM

470 posts, read 1,500,271 times
Hi, I have never seen or heard of any Klan rallies around here. The Athens area is certainly diverse, centered around the university. Has good dining, good entertainment. Surround areas have some very good schools. You can get a home with an acre or more within 15-20 minutes of Athens, a lot depends upon your price range. Where are you moving from?

Old 10-09-2009, 02:25 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
Guess what, Tanya?

SPLCenter.org: Hate Groups Map

This is a list of all the recognized hate groups in America.

As you can see, many upper east coast states, midwestern states and cali have around the same amount of hate groups OR MORE than southern states.

You wouldnt be asking this question if you were moving to NJ or Michigan, would you?

It seems like when some people say more "diverse" they just mean "whites making up a smaller % of the total population of an area"

If that's the case, then Georgia and any of other deep southern state would be more "diverse" than several states up north, which are usually 90+ % white outside of the urban areas. Southern states have large black populations not only in urban areas, but also in most of the rural areas of our states.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:39 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Guess what, Tanya?

SPLCenter.org: Hate Groups Map

This is a list of all the recognized hate groups in America.

As you can see, many upper east coast states, midwestern states and cali have around the same amount of hate groups OR MORE than southern states.
Look at the PDF map, though, and I think you can see a definite general trend of denser icon clustering towards the southeastern US:

http://www.splcenter.org/intel/map/images/splc_hategroups.pdf (broken link)

Some of that is due to population (empty states have fewer groups), but it seems like the most diverse areas of the country also seem to be home to more hate groups. I guess that follows, since haters might be less likely to organize if they're only surrounded by folks like themselves.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:20 PM

199 posts, read 627,516 times
i have lived in south west ga. for 61 years and have never met a klansman that i know of!!! sounds like you are just trying to start crap!!!

Old 10-09-2009, 07:38 PM

Whatever, I see I can't get any honest opinions here...I am not trying to start anything.

Yes, they have clan rallys over there...near Athens and I believe it was Douglasville...and there was another thread on this board where they talked about KKK outside of Canton and Elliajay??? Yes they do have rallies over there, I googled it...so before you say I am trying to start something, maybe you should to.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Where did you find a "high number of clans"? Is there a klan directory????

While racism still exists in GA (and everwhere else), the chances of getting a cross burned on your lawn are slim to none. You asked last week about Lawrenceville and Canton and got the info you asked for- what happened to that?

We found out Lawrenceville wasn't as country as we thought and there are KKK near Canton....check the internet and you will find it too Thanks for nothing, because instead of giving honest help, you all sound like you are trying to start something.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:56 PM

Let's see....
Georgia
American White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan - A small Klan group with chapters in Georgia and Texas.

Georgia Knight Riders of the Ku Klux Klan - A Georgia-based Klan group.

North Georgia White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan - A Georgia-based Klan group.

Elligay really the headquarters for the KKK in Georgia

KKK rally in Donalsonville peaceful - Local & State - Macon.com (http://www.macon.com/198/story/497652.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia