Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 01:59 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times

Advertisements

I do not claim Macon's crime rate is lower than the other second tier cities, but, there is something I do know.

In, Macon (just like in Columbus, Albany, Augusta, and Savannah), if you avoid the spending loads of time in sketchy areas, then you should be just fine.

If you arent hanging out in the projects or frequenting some sleezy bar in a bad area, then you should be just fine. Is this not true of ALL of these cities, including Macon????

This is not "acceptance" of these crimes, this is just letting people know that it is possible to live in a safe community here and not have to worry about being a victim of a crime 24/7.

lol You cant tell me any different because I live here and actually live fairly decent in a very low crime area, which isnt even "the best" part of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 07:17 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,239,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
, a pretty cool looking convention center,
ah its a dump.

Quote:
a good sized airport
what airport were you looking at?

Old 10-19-2009, 07:36 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
ah its a dump.
That's just silly...it certainly IS NOT a dump - anyone can tell from the photos.

Edward H. Wilson Convention Center, Macon

Macon Centreplex

Old 10-19-2009, 07:51 PM

117 posts, read 507,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
That's just silly...it certainly IS NOT a dump - anyone can tell from the photos.

Edward H. Wilson Convention Center, Macon

Macon Centreplex
I believe he is referring to Albany's Civic Center which is a dump.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:57 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart03 View Post
I believe he is referring to Albany's Civic Center which is a dump.
Ok...I've never seen Albany's convention center - I didn't know there even was one. It doesn't look that bad from the outside, but I'll take your word for it.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Ok...I've never seen Albany's convention center - I didn't know there even was one. It doesn't look that bad from the outside, but I'll take your word for it.
LOL yes, its downtown right along the Flint River. It could be a really beautiful place if they would remodel the exterior to something more modern, maybe with some glass actually overlooking the 'riverwalk' area.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I have only been to Albany a hand full of times and always was curious about the place. For its size it has a relatively new mall and growth area, a pretty cool looking convention center, a pretty big hospital, a good sized airport and the Marine Logistics Base. For what appears to be crossroads city it seemed to pretty stable. But one does not have to travel far off the main roads to see impoverish areas. Was this an agricultural hub at one time? Was this city an industrial center in the past? I never could figure that out.
I would really describe Albany as a smaller version of Macon, especially in the areas of crime & inept leadership.

The mall is VERY small, and is dying off. The last few times I've been, there was hardly anyone there, and seems more stores are closing up. Phoebe Putney is by far one of the best hospitals in South Georgia, and Palmyra is good hospital as well. Marine Core Logistics Base is a big plus to the local economy, if it wasn't for the MCLB I'm not sure Albany's economy would be able to survive, since we've already lost Cooper Tires & 1,300 jobs, and Procter & Gamble is making cut backs.

One major issue for Albany is NO interstate access nearby, the closest is at Tifton or Cordele to get to I-75. Another major issue is inept leadership, & crime which go together quite well!! It is such a shame too, Albany has SO much possibilities, but gang crime and violent crimes (robbery, burgulary, assaults) are very rampant here. Most residents actually have no faith in the APD; well who could blame them when you see on the news APD detectives and officers being arrested for having sex with prostitutes, and engaging in other illegal activities!!

Old 10-20-2009, 04:41 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
ah its a dump.

what airport were you looking at?
Quote:
ah its a dump
Well, southgeorgia, I have never actually been inside the place. But I have seen the marquee outside listing events, and they actually have concerts there. Columbus also has concerts. For a city with approx. 75,000 people I think it is cool that Albany has concerts at their civic center. If you want to see a concert in the Macon area you go to the Perry fairgrounds during the fair. Macon has a skating rink inside their civic center. There might have been a hip hop concert there a year or two ago... but no concerts I would want to attend.

Quote:
what airport were you looking at
According to the data I can locate, Albany's runways are substantially longer than those of Macon's airport. I realize that Macon airport is busier, but from appearances, Albany's airport is larger than Macon's.

My comments were not intended to pit Albany against Macon. I simply stated my observations of Albany from the few times I have been there.
I did not make the claim that Albany was a great place nor did I trash Macon... despite what others might think.
Albany is substantially smaller than Macon yet has some facilities comparable to a city much larger. In my opinion.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:56 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post

In, Macon (just like in Columbus, Albany, Augusta, and Savannah), if you avoid the spending loads of time in sketchy areas, then you should be just fine.
King_9.0 (you have lost a half point),

This, once again, is deflection. You list other cities for comparison, but Macon is still listed with the highest crime index. So, once again, I counter with....

In Macon (just unlike in...)

Old 10-20-2009, 06:38 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,239,683 times
Quote:
According to the data I can locate, Albany's runways are substantially longer than those of Macon's airport. I realize that Macon airport is busier, but from appearances, Albany's airport is larger than Macon's.
Albany's primary runway is 100' longer than Macon; crosswind rwy is 200' longer than macon. I wouldn't say that's substantial.

Is it possible you were comparing Southwest GA Regional w/ macon's Smart Downtown airport, and not Middle Ga Regional?

Middle GA reg'l and Southwest Ga Reg'l are almost dead equal in size; macon's might be slightly larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia