Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 15,269 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I have an oppt to relocate near Waycross GA with a job in place. I was excited when researching surrounding towns as schools got good ratings and real estate looked enticing. However, on Georgia's sex offender website, it seems as though many of these areas have a large amount of child molester sex offenders residing in these towns. Example: Blackshear ratio 140 to 1--and many of these offenders convicted of crimes against children. (Waycross crime is high as well, and I assumed I would look to move in a surrounding town where commuting was reasonable. Is this a topic or concern of residents in these areas? Any information or replies would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 10:34 PM

4 posts, read 23,397 times
I'm also planning on relocating to Blackshear GA. I hear the population is under 4 thousand. Is that true? Also, I can not find a place to rent. I've been searching the internet, and nothing comes up. I currently live in AZ and would like a locals view on Blackshear. Thanks.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:29 PM

7 posts, read 47,841 times
Waycross & Blackshear both have crime & child molesters!
Try looking at places off Central Ave in Wayx.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:35 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,954,881 times
Do not move to Waycross if there's anyway to avoid it. I made that mistake. Waycross is a dead/dying city. Jobs are leaving and businesses are vanishing. I'll drive into work at night past a business that is still open, and I when I leave in the morning it's boarded up. The crime is getting bad and there is zero economic opportunity. The best jobs are the railroad (impossible to get onto) or Ware State Prison. (which pays peanuts) Also there is an entrenched "good ol' boy network" which prevents transplants from getting the better jobs out there.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:56 PM

236 posts, read 695,162 times
Bit narrow minded aren't we?

Waycross is a typical Southern town. Very small, very conservative...it has its issues. There is good and bad there just like anywhere else. Real estate is affordable, taxes are low, schools are decent, it's close to Brunswick & Jacksonville for entertainment. There are a few nice golf courses in the area. There are enough places to eat especially when you factor in the 1 hour drive to Bwk or J'ville.

If you've got a decent job lined up, have at. Be ready for a culture shock if you haven't lived in a very rural Southern town in the past.

Good luck - I hope you enjoy it.

Michael

Old 08-08-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapowermike View Post
Bit narrow minded aren't we?

Waycross is a typical Southern town. Very small, very conservative...it has its issues. There is good and bad there just like anywhere else. Real estate is affordable, taxes are low, schools are decent, it's close to Brunswick & Jacksonville for entertainment. There are a few nice golf courses in the area. There are enough places to eat especially when you factor in the 1 hour drive to Bwk or J'ville.

If you've got a decent job lined up, have at. Be ready for a culture shock if you haven't lived in a very rural Southern town in the past.

Good luck - I hope you enjoy it.

Michael
Yeah the real estate is cheap and the taxes are low because the salaries around here are low. There is really nothing going for Waycross. It's often in the 100s in the summer and Waycross is in the middle of nowhere. Driving an hour to Brunswick and Jacksonville doesn't really count. Who wants to drive an hour just to have something to do?

Old 08-09-2010, 01:10 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,924,665 times
You know, I've seen you bash on South Georgia in the last few threads and it's not cool. You really need to give the area more credit. Waycross is a beautiful town and it is not dying. If anything, it's stagnant right now due to the economic downturn.
You also keep saying who wants to drive an hour to do this or that. While the smaller towns may not have the big box stores and entertainment that cities like Atlanta or Jacksonville may have, there still things to do if you get creative. Besides, I'm sure if this person was truly concerned about things to do, he/she would have considered that before thinking of moving to or around Waycross.

For the record, it may reach 100 once or twice on a typical summer. Average highs in SE GA range from 89-94... with humidity of course.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
You know, I've seen you bash on South Georgia in the last few threads and it's not cool. You really need to give the area more credit. Waycross is a beautiful town and it is not dying. If anything, it's stagnant right now due to the economic downturn.
You also keep saying who wants to drive an hour to do this or that. While the smaller towns may not have the big box stores and entertainment that cities like Atlanta or Jacksonville may have, there still things to do if you get creative. Besides, I'm sure if this person was truly concerned about things to do, he/she would have considered that before thinking of moving to or around Waycross.

For the record, it may reach 100 once or twice on a typical summer. Average highs in SE GA range from 89-94... with humidity of course.
I'm not "bashing" just simply telling the truth. People need to be well informed about places so they don't move somewhere they wouldn't like. (Like I did.)

There are a few things to do, like visit the Okefenokee Swamp Park which is nice.

Waycross is dying. In the past 30 years it's population has been nearly halved and people are still leaving. Businesses are vanishing on weekly basis it seems like. I mean even Huddle House closed and the Sonic's just came back. I mean how often does a Huddle House close? Two or three car dealerships have up and left in the past few years. It seems like damn near every house is for sale and they've stayed for sale in the year I've lived here. Really no one comes to Waycross and prospers. The only prospering ones are the "Old Money" types.

When you drive the streets you see it, you see the death and the decaying. The "down town" area is decaying. The buildings are old and sagging. It's decrepit. The school systems are so/so. Crime is starting to get out of hand unless you live off Central Ave going towards Brantley County.

As for the weather. Yeah it only reaches 94-96, however it "feels like" 105+ nearly daily in the summer. Who cares what the degrees are? I care what it feels like out because that's what it will feel like outside.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:02 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,924,665 times
Basically what you're doing is exaggerating the negatives and not giving many, if any, positives. A good example is "Businesses are vanishing on a weekly basis it seems like". Now, I'm not trying to start any kind of city-data battle, but if you've only lived in a place for one year, how would you possibly know about every single person that moves to Waycross and whether or not they've prospered or not? Let those people speak for themselves. As someone in another thread on South Georgia stated, if you can't give an honest, unbiased assessment of an area, just leave it alone. you're doing many folks a disservice who would otherwise be quite happy here.

The town is indeed losing population, but not at the rate you are making it sound. It's basically stagnant right now from what figures are showing.

Last edited by WanderingImport; 08-10-2010 at 01:14 AM..

Old 08-10-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Basically what you're doing is exaggerating the negatives and not giving many, if any, positives. A good example is "Businesses are vanishing on a weekly basis it seems like". Now, I'm not trying to start any kind of city-data battle, but if you've only lived in a place for one year, how would you possibly know about every single person that moves to Waycross and whether or not they've prospered or not? Let those people speak for themselves. As someone in another thread on South Georgia stated, if you can't give an honest, unbiased assessment of an area, just leave it alone. you're doing many folks a disservice who would otherwise be quite happy here.

The town is indeed losing population, but not at the rate you are making it sound. It's basically stagnant right now from what figures are showing.
Businesses are vanishing at a rapid rate. You live in Savannah I live in Waycross. (Just one more week now!!!) I see it first hand, you posture and speculate from a hundred miles away. My tale is a cautionary one I don't want anyone else to make the same mistake I did.

The thing about Waycross is that it's an island. It's out on it's own with nothing around it. Your at the very least an hour to an hour and a half away from Jacksonville, nearly an hour from Brunswick, nearly an hour from Valdosta, and four hours from Atlanta. The surrounding areas from Waycross are even smaller than Waycross itself. Brantley and Charlton Counties are not very nice and there is zero entertainment to be had in those towns. If you want to shop other places besides Kroger and Wal-Mart you're looking at driving an hour. If you can live with that great.

Waycross has a certain charm and as I have stated earlier the people in Waycross are top notch. Some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia