U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,153 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Clarke Co., GA.

You will fnd Athens Clarke Co., GA to be a safe community.

If you like a nite life, then down town Athens has what you need.

I live on west side and find it to be convenient to everything I need, yet I am away from the busy down town area and the University.

This area is convenient to both hospitals.

This area is 2.6 miles from the loop 10, one exit from the Georgia Square Mall and Target, two exits from Wallmart.

I like the convenience of the restuarants and the fact that some will deliver into my neighborhood.

Welcome to Athens, GA if you choose to make the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 11:37 AM

127 posts, read 701,926 times
Hi Connie,
What are your favorite west side neighborhoods?

Old 06-15-2007, 04:07 PM

276 posts, read 1,045,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AthensProf View Post
Your best bet for finding homes on the East side of Athens is the Athen area MLS. You can search just the East side and within specific price ranges. The link is http://athens.1st-place.com (broken link) You can also use some realtor sites such as Homewise Realtors or BuySide Realty in order to get property address information. However, I have found that these are not as up to date as the Athens ILS website.

If you want to give me a price range, I can recommend some east side neighborhoods and tell you ones to stay away from. A quality realtor in Athens is very, very hard to come by. I found as we were looking, we did the majority of the work in finding the properties that interested us. We just used the realtor to make the appointments. As a result of nearly three years of house hunting (my wife is about to kill me), I believe I have a very good handle on what is available, what is desirable and undesirable, etc. In many cases, I know many more specifics about listings than the realtors and I have no financial interest in steering you to one house versus another. You can send me an email if you are uncomfortable posting your price range and I'll be happy to provide recommendations.

During the interim, here are a few neighborhoods to consider on the Eastside and my biased opinions about them.

Green Acres/Cedar Creek: Older, established eastside neighborhood, eclectic mix of families, profesionals and professors. Many residents have lived in the same house for 20 or more years. Quality of the homes varies considerably - really a hit or miss situation. Lots of homes built in the 70s, many need updating. Most properties are well maintained although a few eyesores are present. Only one or two vacant lots left. Close proximity to shopping. About 10 minutes to downtown Athens & UGA. Some concern (mine) with proximity to low-income rental communities with recent upsurge in crime, but at least there is no direct access from neighborhoods of concern.

Ashton Place: Similar location to Green Acres, but further from rental areas. Homes are selling for around $125+/sf. Lots are much smaller than Green Acres & Cedar Creek, but homes are much newer. Lots probably average 0.5-.75 acres. One thing I noticed immediately is that the houses are built close to the street giving it a very different feel than Cedar Creek. You'll have to drive through it to see if you notice it. Mostly professionals and professors in the neighborhood.

Milford Hills: Avoid it! This subdivision was the subject of a huge appraisal/mortgage fraud. The houses were over-appraised by tens of thousands of dollars. It all collapsed and several principles including developers, appraisers, realtors and lawyers have been arrested. The mortgage fraud associated with this subdivision has had a ripple effect trhough out the east side keeping house prices artificially low compared to other areas of Athens. However, that's good news if you are a buyer... in another eastside subdivision.

Falling Shoals: New development off Whit Davis Rd. As a result, it may not be of interest to you. High tension power lines run along one side of the development. Not a health risk, but a property value risk in my opinion. Prices are in the mid to upper 200s. Nice exteriors, but only average construction quality.

Olde Lexington Gardens: Appropriately enough, located off Old Lexington Rd. About 10-12 minutes from downtown and UGA. Mostly small to moderate houses. Prices are generally in the high 100s to mid 200s. Decent neighborhood. Not a lot of trees, though.

Shoal Creek Farms: Established "equesterian" neighborhood with private lake. Most lots are estate lots (>1.0 acre) and average ~2 acres. Some homes are on lots up to 20 acres. All homes are custom built. Most homes are upscale with several very nice homes in the neighborhood. Good separation between many of the homes. There are also a few homes that lightning should strike. Prices range from high 200s to $600K. Feels like it is way out in the country, but really only 12-15 minutes to downtown. Can take the back way to Watkinsville and be there in less than 15 minutes. Mostly professors and a few retired professionals.

Sagewood: Newer (~3-4-years-old) equesterian neighborhood west of Highway 78 near new Lowe's. Community barn and riding facilities. Lots are not very private compared to Shoal Creek Farms due to lack of trees and mostly smaller lots. However, homes are large and custom built. Last I checked, only one or two for sale. Upper 300s to low 400s. Probably 10 minutes to downtown, 12-15 minutes to central UGA campus.

There are several other eastside neighborhoods, but the above are the major ones. A new subdivison is being built across the street from Shoal Creek Farms (off Morton Rd). The land has only been cleared, but it is my understanding the lots will be a minimum of 5-10 acres with custom built homes. Given the size of the parcel, I think less than 20 homes will be built. Prices rumored to start in the 600s.

Although I said most Athens realtors are worthless, there are one or two that I would not hesitate to recommend as a buyer's representative. Let me know if you are interested.
Wow, you gave some great information. Thanks so much. I know it was greared to someone elses post but I took it upon myself to look at it as well which I am sure is why it is there to begin with ...We are looking for relocated from SWFL(I am almost reluctant to mention this given some ppls point of view of ppl in Florida) and my husband and I (and a daughter 11) are very interested in what areas are best for families, school quality and homes at a reasonable cost and ongoing issues such as taxes, family life etc...Thanks so much...You can email me or post here which ever you prefer...Thanks again....Its been a great help and asset in our continued search...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia