U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2007, 09:37 PM

4 posts, read 13,027 times

Advertisements

Hello. My family and I are planning on moving to the wonderful state of Gerogia. We currently live in Oregon. Can ANYONE tell me about the area of Auburn? Schools, people, life, food, community..... ANYTHING. I have done some looking on line but would rather have personal real life opinons vs. a sales picth. We all know how good things can look on paper and pictures.
Also, just some honest input.
Hugs to all
Rhonda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 08:48 AM

8,862 posts, read 15,244,101 times
Default Auburn, GA/Barrow County

Quote:
Originally Posted by karml View Post
Hello. My family and I are planning on moving to the wonderful state of Gerogia. We currently live in Oregon. Can ANYONE tell me about the area of Auburn? Schools, people, life, food, community..... ANYTHING. I have done some looking on line but would rather have personal real life opinons vs. a sales picth. We all know how good things can look on paper and pictures.
Hugs to all
Rhonda
It is a small town between Lawrenceville, GA and Winder, GA/Athens area--the University of Georgia is located in Athens. The area is developing.

Go Here>>>
http://www.cityofauburn-ga.org/

sls

Old 05-20-2007, 04:18 PM

196 posts, read 672,074 times
Athens is great. It has good things and bad just like any town one would live in. I like the college town feel. I think Athens is about the same size as Lawrenceville and bigger than Winder but that's just my opinion. We like living here. We moved from Tn and folks are really nice. Good luck.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karml View Post
Hugs to all
Rhonda
Rhonda,

We'd love to welcome you to our wonderful state of Georgia soon. I am a native Georgian and will be more than happy to answer any questions I can about the area.

Tonya

Old 05-23-2007, 05:02 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,534,724 times
Auburn Georgia is located on 29/8 in Barrow County with it's west side county scope off 324 in Gwinnett County.

Auburn is growing on the Gwinnett County side, Barrow is seeing growth in 30011 in a commercial realm. A strip plaza here and there, a commercial zoned warehouse location.
Auburn itself is very small.

On the Gwinnett side, Auburn is basically Dacula with an Auburn zip code east of Fence Road. The main difference with Gwinnett residential growth in Auburn vs. Barrow:

* Mainly is train. Very active train tracks go right through downtown Auburn.
* Barrow county taxes. Barrow has a higher millage rate than Gwinnett and a 1% more sales tax rate
* Schools. Dacula along with Mill Creek schools are ranked higher than Winder Barrow
* Developers. Gwinnett County is known for handing out building permits like water whereas Barrow uses a little more common sense when it comes to growth.

Real Estate Review:
Auburn itself is "old Georgia" mostly intown the homes are a few or more decades old. Auburn is native Georgia, not many transplants. Auburn county (Gwinnett) is nothing but transplants. Finding a native Georgian on the Gwinnett side is akin to finding an Eskimo in the Amazon.
Everything in the Auburn zip code on the Gwinnett side is new. The only exception is a gas station and a couple homes on 324. It has been Gwinnett that has accounted for 99.9% of Auburn's population growth.

Closing:
In the Atlanta area Auburn is a very nice place. Don't forget you are only 10 miles from the Mall of Georgia, 12 miles from the hospital, only blocks from umpteen Wal Marts, and a mix of old Georgia and new Georgia combined.

From the Dacula Auburn area.

Good Day

Old 05-27-2007, 09:30 PM

4 posts, read 13,027 times
Default Thank you all

WOW, it's been a few days since I have checked the post. WOW thanks everyone who has given me some information. My biggest fear is being an outsider which I KNOW I will be. I do want to fit in and not offend ANYONE. Everything I have been able to find on Georgia has been very wonderful... So I really wanted the "locals" oppinions. This is so very important to me.
We have now widened our area search to Winder, Brazelton, Auburn, Houschton (Spelling?)
This is so scary and hard to do from such a long ways away. We are living in Oregon now. And I feel Georgia is about as far away as we can get. People tell me horror stories about all the bugs, snakes and how awful people are there...... I find much of it hard to believe... I think people will treat you how you act towards them.... maybe i'm being a person of blind faith but I have meet good/bad people all over the US. But if any of you have anything else you might be able to share I would oh so appreciate it.
Hugs to all
Rhonda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or