U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 01:23 PM

283 posts, read 1,106,583 times

Advertisements

It may be further south than you would want to go but I would recommend Valdosta. It is a large enough town to support any business and it is growing quickly so being in RE and Ins you can build your business up quick here because the town is still small enough that you will not have to struggle to get your name known. Every race and finanical status work hand and hand so even though there are affluent subdivisions and areas of town you will not have the segreation seen amongst the neighbors of ATL. Even other affluent blacks will tear you apart for your success if you don't choose correctly there. Others out side of metro ATL would be Macon/Warner Robins and Columbus. If you wish to stay in the ATL area I would highly recommend somewhere in the Fayette County area on the southside and Alpharetta on the northside. I would recomend avoiding Savannah and Albany unless you have very strong will and are willing to put effort into improving the community. Best of wishes and good luck.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:33 AM

9 posts, read 50,530 times
My first reaction to your post was "anywhere you darn well please" However if you wish to live in an area exclusive for affluent African Americans you should take that up with a high end realtor. If you are not from the south I would suggest you read a book called "Our Kind Of People" It will tell you quite a bit about wealthy southern black society.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:33 AM

21 posts, read 109,778 times
Try Gwinnett County, just outside of the DeKalb County line. I graduated from Parkview in 1987 and had never gone to school with a black person. Now the concentration is about 50/50 and there are wonderful upper, middleclass families that have moved in due to the wonderful schools. Just go check it out! I think you'll like it!

Old 10-23-2007, 11:43 AM

64 posts, read 313,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaxter View Post
We, my husband and I and our 12yr old son want to relocate to some where in Georgia we can be comfortable in our careers and but most important, we are looking for an area where the community with mature shade trees and established character (we don't want a new home community) at all! We would like a community where most are very family orientated, and 45+ years of age.

My husband is a criminal law attorney and I am Broker in RE and Life Insurance Sales. We are both in our 40's and

Any information shared would be much appreciated!!
The black affluent live the same place as the white affluent.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,463 times
please tell a transplant from ny where to live in georgia, as a registered nurse with 2 kids(looking for a townhome close to mostly african americans) with various transportation methods and close to schools with african americans but a good safe neighborhood in Duluth or Metro Atlanta

Old 09-15-2015, 06:42 PM

650 posts, read 1,358,047 times
cascade/danfort road

Old 09-17-2015, 12:42 AM

1,916 posts, read 4,204,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun-Soo View Post
For Affluent African-Americans-

Atlanta Metro:
Dekalb County
Northern Fulton County
Southern Cobb County

Macon Metro:
Northern Bibb County
Northern Houston County
Western Bibb County
The most affluent AA's in Macon do live in those areas, though sparsely scattered around in various majority white neighborhoods.

However, the highest concentration of middle class blacks living in a single area are various neighborhoods right along the Bibb and Jones County line in East Macon.

Ruby Dr. in Jones County just across the county line.
Belvedere Manor
Lake Arrowhead
Clifton Ridge Sub-Division

i.e. People like the Hutchings Family, whom the Career Center was named after, lived out here before the dad died and his wife moved. The sons are still doctors in town. Otis Redding's daughter used to stay next to my Grandparents out this way before she moved. I used to play with his grandson when we were kids.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:12 PM

677 posts, read 435,981 times
Default private school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaxter View Post
We, my husband and I and our 12yr old son want to relocate to some where in Georgia we can be comfortable in our careers and but most important, we are looking for an area where the community with mature shade trees and established character (we don't want a new home community) at all! We would like a community where most are very family orientated, and 45+ years of age.

My husband is a criminal law attorney and I am Broker in RE and Life Insurance Sales. We are both in our 40's and

Any information shared would be much appreciated!!

There are many areas that fit what you described, but we may need some more detail.

Many areas of Georgia and in Atlanta area sound like what you mentioned, but the public schools vary from good to abysmal. Outside of the greater Atlanta metro area they're mostly on the low end.
Are you considering placing your 12 yr old in private school?

Do you have an interest in cultural events, museums, opera, local theatre, continuing education?

Or do you just envision the suburban lifestyle revolving around school, kids sports, and a golf course?

Old 09-21-2015, 09:36 AM

23,120 posts, read 36,706,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
It depends on the person. More and more Black folk from elsewhere in the country are making it a point of living in Georgia communities where it's not just Black. And unless private school is the only option, most of the all-Black neighborhood public schools aren't doing that well. Not all, but most.
My perception as well.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:27 AM

8 posts, read 7,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnzsavnh View Post
Affluent black people live where they choose to live

regardless of race. Seems the "Affluent" Black I know, do not base any part of their life around race. They are far above that, and look for nicely kept areas. if they choose gated community, or large acreage, they look for good schools private or public.

at least the ones I know..... have broken away from the Race issues and are part of the problem solving group of Americans instead of being part of the division of Americans < Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or