U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 06:23 PM

175 posts, read 91,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I'll take your word for it.

Unless I'm headed back home on I-75, my car doesn't go north of an Alpharetta-Kennesaw line. I'll take my chances with the Black Belt counties South of Atlanta any day.

To answer the other poster's question, while it's not an affluent city overall, Columbus surprisingly is amongst the top 10 cities in the country for black households making $100K+

Eagles Landing in Henry County might be a good fit for you.

I'm black, am temporarily living in Columbus until i can save up the money to move back to Metro Atlanta and i can confirm that this is not true. It seems like most people who look like me are extremely stereotypical (and that's putting things in a way that won't get me banned from this site). You have to go to a predominately white neighborhood just to find sit down restaurants and most young, upwardly mobile blacks here are literally counting down the days until they can leave.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:19 PM

4,803 posts, read 1,764,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalhipster9 View Post
I'm black, am temporarily living in Columbus until i can save up the money to move back to Metro Atlanta and i can confirm that this is not true. It seems like most people who look like me are extremely stereotypical (and that's putting things in a way that won't get me banned from this site). You have to go to a predominately white neighborhood just to find sit down restaurants and most young, upwardly mobile blacks here are literally counting down the days until they can leave.
Below is the source:

https://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news...e74956467.html

It appears Augusta is also in the top 10.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:21 PM

1,497 posts, read 988,168 times
Curious the validity of the source claiming this. I cannot speak for Columbus but Augusta is most definitely not a center for black wealth. Sure there are affluent black families in the metro area and many of them live in Columbia County, but it is still about 75% white so I would not say there is a concentration of black affluence like you see in SW Atlanta.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Below is the source:

https://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news...e74956467.html

It appears Augusta is also in the top 10.
The affluent neighborhood mentioned (Green Island Hills) has roughly the same percentage of blacks as Forsyth County and older white people and Asian doctors and business owners make up the vast majority of the population there.

It seems like half of Columbus appears visibly blighted and even the older areas of suburban North Columbus are very working class. I heard someone complain on another forum that there’s no way of getting to and from the revitalized Downtown district without driving though a visibly blighted neighborhood.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
Curious the validity of the source claiming this. I cannot speak for Columbus but Augusta is most definitely not a center for black wealth. Sure there are affluent black families in the metro area and many of them live in Columbia County, but it is still about 75% white so I would not say there is a concentration of black affluence like you see in SW Atlanta.
A few things:

1. You're making the mistake of assuming that the proportion of black affluence correlates with the affluence of a community as a whole. That's not necessarily the case. There are a ton of relatively poor/working class cities all over the country that have wealthy enclaves or a sizeable wealthy population.

2. While 3% and 2.9% of an area's population making a household income of $100K+ isn't impressive at face value, those percentages in fact are really significant when you take into account that black wealth in general is not that high relative to other races. African Americans on average have the lowest median household income at -$38K. So of course there would be an even smaller percentage of African Americans households than Whites, Asians, etc. earning a high income.

3. Being that African Americans are a minority race, it would be a mistake to assume there isn't a large concentration of black wealth in any given metro area simply because it's majority white. Atlanta and DC are also majority white, yet they're still perceived to be amongst the top cities in the country for wealthy black.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:28 AM

Quote:
The affluent neighborhood mentioned (Green Island Hills) has roughly the same percentage of blacks as Forsyth County and older white people and Asian doctors and business owners make up the vast majority of the population there.

It seems like half of Columbus appears visibly blighted and even the older areas of suburban North Columbus are very working class. I heard someone complain on another forum that there’s no way of getting to and from the revitalized Downtown district without driving though a visibly blighted neighborhood.
As far as the bolded, I would be curious to know what percentage of those black people in Forsyth County have a household income of $100K+.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:42 AM

BTW, one more point, Georgia has amongst the highest African American population of all states in the country (on a raw basis, it's only slightly behind Texas and Florida).

So given the state's rapid economic expansion over the last few decades, it shouldn't surprise anyone that it would have several cities with a large concentration of black wealth/affluence. And quite frankly, it's the best state in the country to be if you're black, skilled/educated, ambitious and have a high income when also considering the low cost of living that allows your money to go even further (thus being able to afford bigger homes, nicer cars, etc.).

Old 06-08-2019, 08:35 AM

950 posts, read 432,395 times
Quote:
You have to go to a predominately white neighborhood just to find sit down restaurants and most young, upwardly mobile blacks here are literally counting down the days until they can leave.
There are a few really great gems in South Columbus you need to check out if you aren't going because they are in black neighborhoods; Neicy's, Wynnton Pit (buffet line, not truly sit down, but great food), Skipper's, Chester's and CC's. All highly valued in and outside of their neighborhoods.

Yes, those are all more downhome style food places and tend to be cheap, but even in Atlanta's upper class black neighborhoods, besides chains which can be found all over South Columbus, there aren't many restaurants besides the Soul Food/Southern type (Beautiful, Busy Bee, Old Lady Gang).

It's hard for black restaurateurs to break out of that typecast mold, if you want to know more listen to this podcast.

That said there are more affluent majority black neighborhoods in Columbus, even in South Columbus.

For those of y'all wondering about how cities like Augusta or Columbus can have affluent black neighborhoods when so much of the black population is poor, I made a graph showing black household income across several Georgia counties.

Surprisingly there are more affluent black households in DeKalb County than there are Fulton. Clayton has a level of affluence I would not have guessed, and while Augusta still has the majority of black wealth in its metro, Columbia County has captured around a third of it.

If you are black in Forsyth Co. you are more likely than not to be affluent, but that's because 20 years ago there weren't any black people in the county and its growth plan has steered away from welcoming low-income families.

The facts show that truly no county in Georgia is a stand out as a wealthy black community, and outside of a few select affluent suburbs with small black populations, the income distribution of the black community in and around Georgia's largest cities is about the same.

*I'm using "affluent" here in a very broad middle-class threshold, I know households making just over $50k are by no means truly affluent.

Last edited by JayHey; 06-08-2019 at 08:51 AM..

Old 06-08-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
There are a few really great gems in South Columbus you need to check out if you aren't going because they are in black neighborhoods; Neicy's, Wynnton Pit (buffet line, not truly sit down, but great food), Skipper's, Chester's and CC's. All highly valued in and outside of their neighborhoods.

Yes, those are all more downhome style food places and tend to be cheap, but even in Atlanta's upper class black neighborhoods, besides chains which can be found all over South Columbus, there aren't many restaurants besides the Soul Food/Southern type (Beautiful, Busy Bee, Old Lady Gang).

It's hard for black restaurateurs to break out of that typecast mold, if you want to know more listen to this podcast.

That said there are more affluent majority black neighborhoods in Columbus, even in South Columbus.

For those of y'all wondering about how cities like Augusta or Columbus can have affluent black neighborhoods when so much of the black population is poor, I made a graph showing black household income across several Georgia counties.

Surprisingly there are more affluent black households in DeKalb County than there are Fulton. Clayton has a level of affluence I would not have guessed, and while Augusta still has the majority of black wealth in its metro, Columbia County has captured around a third of it.

If you are black in Forsyth Co. you are more likely than not to be affluent, but that's because 20 years ago there weren't any black people in the county and its growth plan has steered away from welcoming low-income families.

The facts show that truly no county in Georgia is a stand out as a wealthy black community, and outside of a few select affluent suburbs with small black populations, the income distribution of the black community in and around Georgia's largest cities is about the same.

*I'm using "affluent" here in a very broad middle-class threshold, I know households making just over $50k are by no means truly affluent.
I have noticed a lot more upwardly mobile white 20 and 30 somethings sticking around town or coming back since the revitalization of Downtown/Uptown (and i can understand why, the riverwalk island is so nice and serene on a relatively cool, cloudy day that if i would have brought my life jacket with me, i would have gone for a swim.) but Metro Atlanta is just so very attractive as a black professional mecca.

Last edited by lethalhipster9; 06-08-2019 at 10:30 AM..

Old 06-08-2019, 11:23 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,310 posts, read 12,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
I would not consider Augusta a center of black affluence. Not in the least. I am familiar with the Belair Estates neighborhood as relatives lived there for years, at most you maybe had a few black families who lived there..hardly a mecca if black affluence. Augusta has a 60% black population but also a very high black poverty rate. But Augusta is not alone, same for Savannah, Macon, Columbus and Albany. Atlanta is really the only place in Georgia where you can point to a concentration of black wealth, especially the southwest suburbs around Cascade.
Belair Estates is 90% black. Troll alert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or