U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 12:45 PM

1,459 posts, read 941,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
There are a few really great gems in South Columbus you need to check out if you aren't going because they are in black neighborhoods; Neicy's, Wynnton Pit (buffet line, not truly sit down, but great food), Skipper's, Chester's and CC's. All highly valued in and outside of their neighborhoods.

Yes, those are all more downhome style food places and tend to be cheap, but even in Atlanta's upper class black neighborhoods, besides chains which can be found all over South Columbus, there aren't many restaurants besides the Soul Food/Southern type (Beautiful, Busy Bee, Old Lady Gang).

It's hard for black restaurateurs to break out of that typecast mold, if you want to know more listen to this podcast.

That said there are more affluent majority black neighborhoods in Columbus, even in South Columbus.

For those of y'all wondering about how cities like Augusta or Columbus can have affluent black neighborhoods when so much of the black population is poor, I made a graph showing black household income across several Georgia counties.

Surprisingly there are more affluent black households in DeKalb County than there are Fulton. Clayton has a level of affluence I would not have guessed, and while Augusta still has the majority of black wealth in its metro, Columbia County has captured around a third of it.

If you are black in Forsyth Co. you are more likely than not to be affluent, but that's because 20 years ago there weren't any black people in the county and its growth plan has steered away from welcoming low-income families.

The facts show that truly no county in Georgia is a stand out as a wealthy black community, and outside of a few select affluent suburbs with small black populations, the income distribution of the black community in and around Georgia's largest cities is about the same.

*I'm using "affluent" here in a very broad middle-class threshold, I know households making just over $50k are by no means truly affluent.
Quote:
That said there are more affluent majority black neighborhoods in Columbus, even in South Columbus
Boxwoods
Bunker Hill
Forrest Park

Drive around Steam Mill Rd and Forrest Rd to see more black affluent neighborhoods.

An honorable mention is Wynnton. I know it has bad spots but overall the area has an amazing housing stock and density.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:01 AM

32,690 posts, read 30,164,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I'll take your word for it.

Unless I'm headed back home on I-75, my car doesn't go north of an Alpharetta-Kennesaw line. I'll take my chances with the Black Belt counties South of Atlanta any day.
Forsyth County isn't a hugely popular place with Black folks and probably won't be anytime soon, but the county, particularly the southern part, has rapidly diversified over the past decade or two. The last place in worked in metro Atlanta when I resided there was Cumming and i didn't have any issues as a commuter. Once I got a speeding ticket and had to appear in court downtown and the first thing that I noticed was the diversity of the folks also having business with the courts and county government that day. Now I wouldn't be surprised if some of the old attitudes prevail in some of the rural parts of the county near Cumming proper and northward, but the current center of gravity in the county has clearly shifted southward to south Fulton which is basically north Fulton spillover.

And don't be quite so dismissive of north Georgia. I have Black friends that have gone whitewater rafting, rented cabins for a weekend, attended Oktoberfest, etc in that part of the state without incident. I get the wariness, trust me I do, but at the same time we shouldn't always allow that to prevent us from doing things that we really want to do.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:07 PM

6,156 posts, read 4,088,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Forsyth County isn't a hugely popular place with Black folks and probably won't be anytime soon, but the county, particularly the southern part, has rapidly diversified over the past decade or two. The last place in worked in metro Atlanta when I resided there was Cumming and i didn't have any issues as a commuter. Once I got a speeding ticket and had to appear in court downtown and the first thing that I noticed was the diversity of the folks also having business with the courts and county government that day. Now I wouldn't be surprised if some of the old attitudes prevail in some of the rural parts of the county near Cumming proper and northward, but the current center of gravity in the county has clearly shifted southward to south Fulton which is basically north Fulton spillover.

And don't be quite so dismissive of north Georgia. I have Black friends that have gone whitewater rafting, rented cabins for a weekend, attended Oktoberfest, etc in that part of the state without incident. I get the wariness, trust me I do, but at the same time we shouldn't always allow that to prevent us from doing things that we really want to do.
Absolutely spot on! Great post, Mutiny.

I'm wondering if he felt the same way about Northern Michigan when he lived in Deroit.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:47 AM

547 posts, read 220,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

The best point is in the bold. Blacks shouldn't be afraid to "visit" those areas for the activities that take place or the mountains but I'd rarely suggest they live in them if they don't have to.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:05 PM

1,990 posts, read 1,629,621 times
You would have a hard time going ANYWHERE in Georgia that isn't at least a third Black with the possible exception of the North Georgia Mountains. Many VERY rural counties in Central and South Georgia are predominantly Black, too. Rural Georgia is NOT rural Upstate New York (the "Whitest" place I personally have ever been, except certain parts in the northeast quadrant of the City of Atlanta, LOL) I guess what I a saying is, no need to fear rural Georgia regardless of where your skin pigmentation falls. ;0)

Old 06-11-2019, 12:17 PM

32,690 posts, read 30,164,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
The best point is in the bold. Blacks shouldn't be afraid to "visit" those areas for the activities that take place or the mountains but I'd rarely suggest they live in them if they don't have to.
I worked in the north Georgia mountains for a year and decided to live in Canton to have decent proximity to the core of metro Atlanta and commute. It was bad enough that my job was in a small town with not much going on but on top of that the Black population was basically nonexistent, so it wasn't even a choice for me. However, if a Black person wants that mountain lifestyle and they know what all comes with that (or not), I say go for it. We're no strangers to integrating places and life is too short to not do what you really want. Buy some property, protect it, and enjoy the beauty of God's creation I say. We're just as entitled to enjoy it as anyone else. Whoever doesn't like it, that's their problem. When I worked up that way, one of my Black co-workers and his wife, an older couple, bought a house in Jasper and he was happy with his decision.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:09 PM

4,974 posts, read 1,863,790 times
The nice part about living in America is that we're all entitled to do our own thing for our own reasons without owing others an explanation.

Just as my car doesn't go north of Alpharetta, I'm sure there are ton of people north of Atlanta whose car doesn't go south of the airport unless they're headed to Florida.

Live and let live.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:15 PM

967 posts, read 448,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post

Just as my car doesn't go north of Alpharetta, I'm sure there are ton of people north of Atlanta whose car doesn't go south of the airport unless they're headed to Florida.
Ha! I'm guessing that ratio is pretty close to 1:100 too. North Georgia has no shortage of people moving, building a second home, or just visiting, this thread doesn't need to turn into about how it's safe for black people to visit there (which it is). Anyways, this thread is about where affluent black people tend to congregate, which is most assuredly not often north of Alpharetta.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:11 AM

178 posts, read 95,162 times
Median Black Household Income by County (2017 ACS)
All Atlanta Combined Statistical area counties with population over 100,000
Fulton $40,000
Dekalb $51,000
Cobb $65,000
Gwinnett $62,000
Clayton $45,000
Cherokee $88,000
Forsyth $88,000
Henry $67,000
Hall $41,000
Paulding $71,000
Douglas $57,000
Coweta $35,000
Clarke $31,000
Carroll $41,000
Fayette $79,000
Newton $59,000
Bartow $29,000

Other Georgia Counties
Richmond (Augusta) $33,000
Columbia (Augusta) $96,000
Muscogee (Columbus) $29,000
Bibb (Macon) $27,000
Dougherty (Albany) $31,000

Old 06-21-2019, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 697 times
Thank you everyone for your consideration!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or