Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 07:26 PM

5 posts, read 16,918 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in the process of preparing ourselves to relocate to GA. We have been there once and love it. We are relatively young couple in late twenties. We heard that Gwinnet county and Conyers were good areas with very good schooling systems. We dont have kids yet but intend to in the future. I currently work in the IT department for a major hospital here and trying to complete my Masters while my husband was a teller at Citibank and is completing his Bachelors in Finance. We are really looking for a slower pace of life with quality of life we can afford to raise our kids and have good jobs. Can anyone give insights as to good areas with affordable housing (240K or less, newer construction) with good school districts? Also what about the job market there for the IT and Finance/Accounting fields? Are there any prospects?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 07:33 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,293 times
With that price range you should be in good shape in most areas. I prefer the North side suburbs over the south side.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:35 PM

10 posts, read 20,295 times
You should have no problem finding a nice, newer home within your price range. Conyers is in Rockdale county. The closest area of Gwinnett to Conyers is Snellville, zip code 30039. Personally, I would choose Snellville over Conyers. Most of the newer homes in your price range will be on smaller lots. Some will have basements... but, many will be on slab. If you want a larger lot, a brick home or a bigger selection with basements, you will find many more available that are 10 to 20 years old.
I do not know about the current job market. Atlanta is a large, growing metro area.
As for schools, I generally prefer Gwinnett schools over Rockdale; however, any high school rank today may not be the same 10 -15 years from now. Buy a home you like. Gwinnett county schools often rank higher than Rockdale.
You should drive around both areas and see what you would prefer. Although they border each other, I think Conyers and Snellville have a much different feel.
Conyers and Snellville are east side suburbs. I also prefer east side and north side suburbs to south side or west side suburbs. Your 240k will generally go much farther in Rockdale or Gwinnett than it will in North Fulton or Forsyth counties.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:35 PM

14 posts, read 32,294 times
Please tell us which parts of Georgia you have visited and have fell so quickly in love with. Having only visited once, it might tell what type of scenery you are looking for.

Unfortunately, working "intown Atlanta" and commuting from a suburb is not really going to give you a slower pace of life, but instead an extra 2 hours added to your workday. This will really hurt when you begin to have kids, and the children get their own activity schedules.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:24 AM

5 posts, read 16,918 times
Default Re

I went to Fulton, Clayton and Gwinnett.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:19 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedhelmet View Post
Unfortunately, working "intown Atlanta" and commuting from a suburb is not really going to give you a slower pace of life, but instead an extra 2 hours added to your workday. This will really hurt when you begin to have kids, and the children get their own activity schedules.
Why do so many people (mainly ITP folks from what I can see) automatically assume folks will be working in the City of Atlanta proper? I don't see the OP mentioning that anywhere...?

Old 10-13-2009, 07:04 AM

70 posts, read 196,880 times
Alpharetta! Just do it!

Old 10-14-2009, 08:51 PM

14 posts, read 32,294 times
You might try Alpharetta in Fulton or Buford in Gwinnett. Most people regard Clayton a higher-crime area, unless you are closer to McDonough and Henry County.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:04 AM

58 posts, read 135,559 times
I agree, Roswell,,,Alpharetta or South Forsyth County are good choices. You will find that Gwinett is so huge and getting over populated...anywhere you go in ATL area there will be traffic, so be ready for that.
But the North Ga 400 corridor as mentioned, offers a lot for everyone.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:49 PM

4 posts, read 10,805 times
Hi there, I am telling you from my heart that you do not want to move to Atlanta. The crime, traffic, good old boys club mentality in the workplace as well as racism will not make for a happy future. Of course, there are great people everywhere you go in the world but people are exhausted in Atlanta. A great place to move to so you can raise a nice family is Savannah.

I am 55 years old, born in Atlanta and raised in Decatur. My family has lived in Georgia since the Revolutionary War. My mother is buried 60 miles from Savannah. I've seen the Atlanta area go from one of the absolute best places to live and grow up to a really messed up place. It all started after the 1996 Olympics. CNN showed all the beautiful places (green emerald city) around the Atlanta area and thousands and thousands of people moved there (and many regret it). The poultry industry brought in hundreds of illegal Mexicans and it is a real problem now. Please think again. You say you want a slower life style. It won't be in Atlanta. My family rarely sees each other because it takes no less than two hour to drive across town.

The only way a family can find happiness in Atlanta is to make a lot of friends right where you live and work close to where you live. And Alpharetta is absolutely the best area but it is still somewhat stressful there. If you are use to living where there is an ocean within a good driving distance you will feel boxed in living anywhere in the Atlanta area. There is something soothing about knowing the ocean is not far away. And there isn't anything to do except shop, go to the movie or go out to eat. But, the thing that can really beat you down is watching the news every night. Atlanta is a dangerous city. Don't ever forget that no matter where you go in the Atlanta area. I would rent if you are dead set on moving there. Really find out for yourself. One visit can be deceiving about Atlanta. The best of luck to you.

Last edited by dawniebelle; 10-23-2009 at 12:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia