Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 11:41 AM

3,464 posts, read 1,888,488 times

Advertisements

What would be some of the pros and cons of moving from Florida (SW) to Georgia (NE) other than climate, jobs and school systems?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 02:12 PM

470 posts, read 1,494,161 times
Kind of a broad question. How about hills and mountains in Georgia? What are your interests? What might be a pro to one person could be a con to another. Georgia does not have as much ocean shoreline, therefore beach, as Florida.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:44 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,786,315 times
I moved from Central FL to NE GA in 2006.

My experience has been that the schools here are worse than FL. It depends on the district (Forsyth is good up here, but some others in the smaller towns are not) I would much prefer to send my kids to school in the area where I lived in FL.

Other cons: bare trees in winter (bleak!), cold (but you do get used to it after one or two winters), have to rake leaves in the fall (or pay someone), "small, mountain town" mentality (seems like lots of folks have never ever left GA), Christianity is in your face, all over the place (all of my friends from FL are Christians but they never talked about it all the time like people do up here), winter can be rainy and very grey, almost no thunderstorms/ heavy downpours (I really missed them at first), high risk of tornados (many parts of GA are on the eastern fringe of tornado alley)... give me a hurricane over a tornado anytime because you get warning to prepare; smog/ haze in the air in summer (no seabreeze), no state pre-paid college fund, gangs are active even in the smaller towns.

Pros: Spring is nice (dogwoods, daffodils, etc), hiking in the moutains, beautiful fall colors, no alligators!, Lake Lanier, chipmunks and deer, much lower crime in most areas of NE GA (but we've had our share of bad things, from a serial killer to an attempted child abduction, to the murder of a priest - right in my town), mosquitos are much smaller here, you don't have to get a home alarm, decent homes can be had for as low us under $100k these days, low property taxes, low homeowners insurance

Those are some that I could think of right off the bat for me personally. We are hoping to move back to the Central FL area this summer because I want my boys to be closer to their grandparents and uncle. That area just feels like "home" for me because I lived there since 1974, even though it has become overcrowded and crime is an issue in many areas (ok, probably all areas).

There are many areas that would be considered "NE GA" so it depends on where exactly you are considering.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:54 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,557,491 times
GA has a state income tax. You cannot fish from bridges in this state. Depends on what you think NE Ga includes. If you exclude Athens and Gainesville, you will likely experience less crime concerns. Both of these towns have serious crime issues. Jobs are scarce right now.
Unless you are financially secure, I cannot see relocating. Not at this time. NE Ga is dead.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:30 PM

470 posts, read 1,494,161 times
Check out FBI stats and local police stats for crime issues. You may find that in some places, like Athens, various crimes are lower than where you may be from. Again, the big question is, what are you looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia