Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 09:27 AM

11 posts, read 27,911 times

Advertisements

Hello:
I'm thinking about applying for a job in Decatur and hoping the folks here can help me. I'm a republican lady with a disabled adult child dependent (try to give you some idea of me) and I'm looking to rent a house in a quiet area where I'd have some privacy (I live in WNC right now), be allowed to have my pets (please don't drive 40mph past my house!) have a garden and not worry about being safe.

I've looked and Decatur seems to have everything I'm looking for: close by a Wholefoods, Costco, Indian food, and a Hindu temple in Atlanta! Wow! However, I've checked the city-data.com info and it's not as promising...

BTW, what about snakes and spiders? Anything that bites badly? We live with black snakes and I've seen black widows (I never knew- they are Beautiful although dangerous and I have bears in my back yard all the time- not fun; also gray foxes, stray cats and dogs because people are too dumb not to spay/neuter...)

I'm a nurse so I don't have a big income. I was borned and raised in Chicago but love the South. I've lived in "the NC" for 3 years and could stay here forever but theres's no jobs and taxes are sky high!

So what say you Georgians? Please help! I'm very interested but want to make the right step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 05:18 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
I think you would need to visit metro Atlanta and get a better idea of how the area is laid out. Decatur is a 'city'--governs itself-- minutes from downtown Atlanta. There is a large area that has a 'Decatur' listing for zip code purposes that is actually a considerable distance from the city itself. If you saw Costco and Whole Foods listed 'in Decatur' then I assume that this outlying area is where they would be located. The only Whole Foods that I know of in NE Atlanta is located at Briarcliff and LaVista Rds----about 15 minutes from Decatur.

Imo, you would need to travel about 30 minutes in any direction to find a 'town'. Marietta, located in the NW quadrant of the metro area, Duluth, in the NE, Jonesboro in the SW and Newnan in the SE or vice versa--are some examples of towns located near Atlanta.

If you travel NE from Decatur you will come to a suburban area which might offer some housing options. There is really no name for this area---DeKalb Medical Center is one landmark, North DeKalb Mall is another. Northlake Mall is a bit further but this is an area --'close' to Decatur which might meet your criteria. Beyond Northlake Mall lies Tucker--which is a town and suburb.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:01 PM

744 posts, read 2,482,123 times
Would you consider other areas of Atlanta ?
If so Fayette Piedmont has several listings for nurses.
It also has several quiet , peaceful towns and areas to choose from such as Tyrone, Brooks, Peachtree City, Sharpsburg, and Senoia.
You can compare crime stats etc on a site calledModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Peachtree City's zip is 30269 and the others should be listed on the site.

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 07:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia