U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 05:41 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,017,786 times

Advertisements

I just witnessed my two daughters who have brown skin and there friends leaving the house for a bible study at another friends house. The two teenage girls that left with them, well one is Caucasian and the other one is Hispanic. The all will be meeting with some other friends, two other males, one brown skinned (African American) and the other Caucasian. We reared them to love all people for who they are not for what they would like them to be. A while ago I picked up one of my daughters iPod and the music content was, are you ready for this, the poor teenager must be mixed up, because here music sure is, Soul, R&B, Country, Easy Rock, Latin, Classical, Contemporary Christian, Gospel and Country Gospel. My children and the ones with here are not the exception to the rule, but this the new rule. I see adults and children alike of all races befriending one another and may I say falling in love and marrying one another. This crazy town has a large population of mixed couples and they are in all the economic classes (they will not all show up in the statistics, they prefer not to be counted, it's sort of like the population of this city; I would say that there has to me more than 200,000 people living here, but who wants to be counted). Are there people here who do not like it, I'm certain there are, this is America for crying out loud, but things are changing. By the way, this mixed up town is none other than Columbus, GA and it's deep in the Heart of Dixie. Is there segregation here you had better believe it. Is it worse than other places I have been such as Rochester, NY; Phoenix, AZ; Los Angeles, CA; Denver, CO; San Diego, CA or El Paso, TX, no. I seen segregation in all of the before mentioned cities, Caucasian in one part of town, African Americans in another and Hispanics in another. The difference between us (South East) and the rest, we take the guess work out. You know if we like you or not. Therefore, I would prefer to know if a racist does not like me and he/she tells me so, than to have one who pretends to like me, but spends every waking moment trying to figure out how to hurt me, my family or friends. That's just my view of the who mess called racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 10:18 PM

276 posts, read 1,045,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well, you know, the fact that you say that you "prefer to socialize with other cultures" other than white MIGHT to some, sound racist. It means (or at least sounds like to some) that you are going out of your way to pick *certain* colors/cultures to hang out with, and avoiding whites.

You'll see a lot of "self-segregation" here. Whites will tend to seek out whites, however on the flip side blacks will also self-segregate and seek out blacks as well. Maybe it's a Southern thing, whatever, but yes, it does happen. It doesn't necessarily mean everyone hates everyone else - it's a case of "old habits dying hard".

If you have a loud voice and a strong Northern accent, then you'll more likely find more prejudice in some areas here from Southerns who will give you the "damn Yankee" attitude (more out in the far burbs), than you will color though, unless you're obnoxious in general in which case they'll use anything you've got against you in the way of their opinion of you then (color, accent, if you're a midget, etc etc etc).
I think it might also be a bit of being reluctant to come out of there own comfort zone. People in general tend not to like to be shun or judged or looked upon differently. I would guess that maybe sticking with fellow whites or blacks or indians etc one would feel less likely to be rejected or looked down upon. This is just my thoughts and opinions. I have not been in the situation in a long time and not being from the south (raised in Boston during desegregation) I remember it well enough and I hope that when and if I am in that situation or feel that way that I just give people a chance and dont go by my impressions but go by how I am actually treated as a person just like everyone else. I am white and I do have many black friends and people that I work with . I have never felt like I was anything but accepted and if I was not then they didnt show it or avoid me. We happily coexist. People are people and if we all treat each other with tolerance, respect and dignity then we should be treated the same in return. If not and it isnt out doing then it is on the other not us. We can only do what we can do....This land is the melting pot afterall we are going to come across many cultures, ethniciy, and types of people. Acceptance and Tolerance is key. God made us all different, it doesnt make us good vs bad it makes us unique and indiviuals. Ive been posting and searching posts all day I am getting a little loopy now..lol....Anyways hope this makes sense. Have a good night all...

Last edited by nibseysgirl; 06-16-2007 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: wanted to add a thought

Old 06-16-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
I just witnessed my two daughters who have brown skin and there friends leaving the house for a bible study at another friends house. The two teenage girls that left with them, well one is Caucasian and the other one is Hispanic. The all will be meeting with some other friends, two other males, one brown skinned (African American) and the other Caucasian. We reared them to love all people for who they are not for what they would like them to be. A while ago I picked up one of my daughters iPod and the music content was, are you ready for this, the poor teenager must be mixed up, because here music sure is, Soul, R&B, Country, Easy Rock, Latin, Classical, Contemporary Christian, Gospel and Country Gospel. My children and the ones with here are not the exception to the rule, but this the new rule. I see adults and children alike of all races befriending one another and may I say falling in love and marrying one another. This crazy town has a large population of mixed couples and they are in all the economic classes (they will not all show up in the statistics, they prefer not to be counted, it's sort of like the population of this city; I would say that there has to me more than 200,000 people living here, but who wants to be counted). Are there people here who do not like it, I'm certain there are, this is America for crying out loud, but things are changing. By the way, this mixed up town is none other than Columbus, GA and it's deep in the Heart of Dixie. Is there segregation here you had better believe it. Is it worse than other places I have been such as Rochester, NY; Phoenix, AZ; Los Angeles, CA; Denver, CO; San Diego, CA or El Paso, TX, no. I seen segregation in all of the before mentioned cities, Caucasian in one part of town, African Americans in another and Hispanics in another. The difference between us (South East) and the rest, we take the guess work out. You know if we like you or not. Therefore, I would prefer to know if a racist does not like me and he/she tells me so, than to have one who pretends to like me, but spends every waking moment trying to figure out how to hurt me, my family or friends. That's just my view of the who mess called racism.
I agree wholeheartly. I too have lived in Rochester NY.
Just wanted to say thanks for your post.
Good Night...
Lisa

Old 06-17-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grblpwr View Post
Here is a take on it from someone whose entire family is from some part of GA and spread from Calhoun to Butler (and with the exception of self and a couple of aunts they all still live in GA). I lived there for 6 years (Clayton County), from age 15 to age 21 and every year I go back it seems to get so much worse that I doubt I will EVER move back.

If you are Caucasian you are automatically a Racist.
If you are Caucasian and from the north you are a Damn Yankee Racist.
If you are African-American you are a Thug, Hoodlum or Gang Member.
If you are African-American who is educated or friends with Caucasians you are an Oreo.

I know of restaurants where African-Americans, Hispanics and mixed race couples are not welcome. A lot of my extended family live in Taylor County, which just integrated the school dances in 2002.

My own best friend was singled out constantly in high school, unfortunately it was usually by the African-American kids who called her Oreo because she was a straight A student who hung out with the white kids.

People are just people and no one really knows if someone is a Racist, Thug, etc until they get to know them. Unfortunately, in GA it seems people are all too ready to accept the worst stereotypes are the norm. Like my "racist" mother, a white lady in a mostly black neighborhood who is helping the Vietnamese lady down the street work through the red tape of getting her family into the country legally, who helps the African family across the street understand the school requirements so their daughter can get an education, who gathered a coalition of regular shoppers to confront the manager of the local supermarket for laying off two black boys (the two hardest working employees in the store) just for the color of their skin and then helped them find better jobs so they didn't have to work for a racist, who drives any the neighborhood kids (I say kids, most are in their early 20's now) to work if they don't have a ride no matter the time of day or their skin color. No one who knows her would consider her a racist, unfortunately she is assumed one because of the color of her skin.

Do I sound bitter, you bet I am. GA could be a wonderful place, if it weren't for all the racial problems.
Thank you for your views. It is sad that this day and age that people cant get to know one and other despite thier color,religion or ethnitcity. I am a white "damn yankee",and I take as much pride in my heritage and race as others that have posted here and it has nothing to do with my skin color or my race. I feel very fortunate to live in this great county of ours but we sure do have alot of work to do on racism and tolerance in general. I am looking to move to GA soon but I must say that I have never expirienced what seems to be the "norm" in GA as far as this topic. It does not deter me from wanting to raise my children there or making it my home until I die and pass it on but it does give me pause and an appreciation for my upbringing and my opinion on all people....I hope that when I do move to GA in the next few months that I find it as warm, kind and friendly as I have been told by many who I know and trust and others on here who love thier state, culture and life in GA.
Thanks again for your shares. Any help on relocating (where etc lol) would be great. I am trying to get as much info on the area (NE/NW area of GA) ....Take Care

Old 06-17-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss View Post
For the most part, this conversation is about issues that get traction only when describing "groups" of people. Prejudicial stereotypes only function at a group level. Once the focus is fine tuned to the level of the individual, prejudicial stereotypes fall apart. That is not very functional at the level we live our lives.

Life is lived at the individual level, person to person... not person to group.

The most FUNCTIONAL question about racisim regarding a new home is, "Will I be safe?".... not "Will people like me?" or "What will people think of me?"

I think safety in Georgia, or about ANYWHERE in the US, is about 99.99999% guaranteed these days, unless you are so stupid or unlucky as to find yourself in the rather rare groups of racial extremists; a black ghetto gang or maybe a white supremesist beer bust. You could get hit by a car much easier than that. Unless you worry a lot about being hit by lightning - this probably isn't worth your time.

Whether people like you or not depends on how you interact with them - on an individual basis. We are ALL - basically nice. If I want you to like me, I need to get over myself and quit wasting my time imagining reasons you shouldn't.
Thank you for your post. I agree. Lets hope that others will and can do the same...Treat and intereact with others(whatever race, ethicity,religion or geographically upbringing)as he/she would like to be treated. I worry that people wont like me soley because of my accent and where I was raised or where I came from. I hope this truely is not the case. It would be such a waste of energy. I am a good person worthly of thought,caring and friendship and I hope my family and I are treated that way and that we treat others(and the community in general) that way...
Take Care.
Lisa

Old 06-30-2007, 08:39 PM

67 posts, read 215,638 times
When you move into a town, just focus on what you plan to do to make that town the best town in the world just because you live in the town. When you do that, you will not have time to notice all of the negative things because all of the positive things that you do or plan to do will consume you.

I was reared to see and respect color as God's handiwork. I was taught that anyone who has a problem with the color of a person's skin has a problem with God not with the person, since God is the One who created the color. I don't think any of us need to be having a problem with God.

Anyone wanting to move to Georgia, Come on. We will be proud to have you as our own and come prepared to put all of your good ideas and suggestions into action.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:51 PM

27 posts, read 90,766 times
Default moving to GA soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmartini View Post
I'M . SO . TIRED . OF . THE . DIVERSITY . PARANOIA .

I haven't visited any of the other state forums. Are the other state forums inundated with people obsessed with "diversity"? Honestly, I'm tired of the preconceptions of people who've either never been to GA or have only visited in an isolated area for a finite time period. We're normal folks down here. I promise we're not waiting at the state line with a noose.

LOLOLOL I just had to reply becuase I have to mention that in the north this is what most peopel of color think about the south..that is if you are in the wrong part of town you may be hanging from a tree by dawn...

Prejudice really exists all over and even here in the good old melting pot of NYC ...there are still neighborhgoords that people of color, asians, whites..any group you name would not be welcome in. some areas just dont like outsiders period

Old 07-02-2007, 01:11 PM

3 posts, read 7,226 times
People tend to associate themselves with people whom are the most like themselves. It doesn't necessarily mean that anyone is prejudice or racist. It just means that they are more comfortable with people who are like them or maybe that is all that the person knows.

People living in poverty tend to be associated with other people whom are in poverty. If we are going to ever end the diversity in Georgia we have to do something about the amount of proverty that most people are to blind to see.

The same goes for people whom are uneducated......they tend to link themselves with other uneducated people.

Rich with Rich....Doctor with Doctor....the list goes on forever.

Have you ever heard Birds of a feather flock together?

Old 07-02-2007, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 7,226 times
By the way Athens is great.......very diverse.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:46 PM

10 posts, read 44,324 times
Unhappy Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by redangie24 View Post
My husband and I moved to Georgia from the Seattle area almost 5 years ago. I can tell you hands down (race and religion) play a major role here. Most try to hide it or say the " I am not racist, but" which means they are racist. I had never in my life experienced any problems with racism living back home. Not to say there were no racist just so few that I never had an encounter with one.

My husband is black and I am white. We have been stared at, pointed at, and asked to leave some restraunts. My daughter at 4 years old and in pre-k came home telling me how her class was talking about how she is black and they are white, etc. I have been called a n****r lover and my daughter has been called names. We have gone to car lots and homes and been treated poorly and heard comments as we left.

I orginally signed up to go to Fort Valley State University when I got here because it was such a great deal. It is a historically black college. My reception there went from outright hostility to being welcomed as any other student.

That said.... The majoritity of people are fine and are nice. I would say it is a 30/60 split (30% racist). About 5% id outright. It is worse if you are an interracial family. For us the worst of it is from black people, but it has come from both. Even in church. There are towns where race does not seem to come into play and towns where it does. There are towns who still have segregated proms and pictures in the year book under most likely .. etc. have both white and then black students.

I think the problem is everyone is so focused on diversity they are just widening the gap. Add that to the fact that some people still seem to be very bitter about things that happend 100+ years ago. It can be hard to let go of such a history as what had happened here. Both sides need to let go, but they will decide the timetable. The history here has some very low point, but some very proud and good points as well. Also, some of it is that some people still don't mix allot. I made a friend is school who had allot of misconceptions about black people. She was afraid to meet my family at first, but now her and her husband are our closest friends. So give some of them a chance. You can't expect everyones life experiences to be the same.

We live in on base at Robins just outside of Macon. The city here in Warner Robins is really mostly nice, and racism rarely comes outright. It does in some conversations, but mostly it is okay. I think the school systems are about average in this town. Some towns have great school systems, other are poor. You just have to look around.

I think if you don't worry about it you will be fine. I love Georgia for all the things there are to do. There is six flags, stone mountain, american adventures, white water, wild adventures, loads of nature centers, the High museum, science centers, museum of natural art and history, and just so very close to florida and all that you can do down there. There are allot of great things to take your kids too and the Atlanta Zoo is great. AFter you live here for awhile you won't notice it so much because you won't be so sensitive about everythign. Everywhere you go in the country is going to have its ups and downs. Pros and cons. I think the pros of living here greatly outweight the cons and it is worth it. And I have made some wonderful friends here. Some of the people are just like instand best friends. Very warm and friendly.

Oh, yeah and I almost forgot. I hope you like sweet tea! I swear they serve it everywhere!! I don't like tea much but my girls and my hubby absolutely love it.
UNFORTUNATELY THIS IS THE REALITY OF THE GOOD 'OLE STATE OF GEORGIA. ITS ALSO THE MAIN REASON MOST TRANSPLANTS (MINORITY) RELOCATE TO ATL AND THE SURROUNDING AREAS....ANYWHERE OUTSIDE OF ATL AND YOU WILL DEFINITELY RUN INTO THIS NONSENSE.....ITS LIKE STEPPING BACK IN TIME...VERY VERY SAD....EVEN 5% IS TOO MUCH TO BARE PEOPLE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO LIVE AND LET LIVE PERIOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or