Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2010, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,932 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm just venting , I'm from the midwest (or as those in Valdosta say -"A Yankee" . My wife is from Valdosta and after a couple of years of her telling me how nice it is in south Georgia she convinced me that we should move there . I have a decent paying job here in Missouri so I cashed in a retirement plan I had with a previous job I had of 21 years and used that to moved her and my step daughter 750 miles to Valdosta with the intention of me still working here until I could get a job there around Valdosta and complete the move then . I had a couple of interviews but no offers , probably just as well because the pay rate is less than half down there compared to what I make here (Missouri) . I just can't bring myself to quit a $19.00+ Per hour job here to work at Cracker Barrow, or Flying J for $6.00 . I interviewed with a city AND county utillity (my job of 26 years) and they could'nt offer much better pay ! My wife now admits to me that its not as nice as it was when she lived there (more crime, more traffic problems , alot more non-english speaking people) and Missouri is'nt so bad after all ! Heck-I never even locked my house door here in MO.at night until I married her and she insisted on it ! Don't try that in Valdosta ! Bottom line - no decent paying jobs in Valdosta unless your in the health field ,or Railroad , or ??? I give up and am moving them back out of Georgia in May .

Old 01-31-2010, 03:05 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,239,683 times
bless your heart.

There are plenty of good paying jobs; you simply haven't done the necessary research.

What are your exact qualifications? The city/county jobs pay $20k-$50k per year, but unless you've got a degree you're stuck at the $20k/yr pay rate.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:44 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,375 times
me thinks its just general non technical like meter reader, public works etc. those do pay in the 20s everywhere in GA.

and i know MO doesnt pay more for the same qualifications.. probably pays even less.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,385 times
I have been here for over a year, there are no jobs unless you know someone with in a company or a relative gives you a plug. I am also from the midwest and I miss being able to get a job because I am qualified. When I finish my degree I am so out of this crime ridden state, with horrible health care. If you are from another and considering moving here please, please, please reconsider somewhere else more up to date and efficient.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:19 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
Oh my goodness. Get out your pitchforks and shovels, the "yankee midwesterners" are coming! Make sure those thugs take care of 'em too! Geez.. give me a break. Georgia isn't Mayberry by any means, but unless you have rose colored glasses on, I don't think anywhere else (yes, even in the midwest) is exactly crime free.

The poster above me tried making a point, but no facts or proof of anything render it completely irrelevant opinion. Ahhh, that feels good. lol

Side note: poster above has but 2 posts and apparently can't read the dates of the posters above her. Maybe she deliberately searched for this particular thread to rant? =P

Old 12-12-2011, 10:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,412 times
First off, I do agree....THERE ARE NO JOBS IN GEORGIA!!! I too am from the Midwest and have worked in the medical industry for over 16 yrs. Moved down here to be closer to my parents and haven't found a decent job yet. I have applied to all the posted jobs that fit my qualifications as well as the entry level and subservient ones. After being here over a year, I successfully landed a job at Walmart. Worked there for 5 mos and quit. Why did I quit because for $8.90 an hour I am not going to work myself in to an early grave. For the positions with a degree, in which I have one, they pay only a few dollars more than minimum wage...WTF!! Georgia is a state that is still far behind, their computer systems are prehistoric, their government is fraudulent and the counties are so far outdated, you'd think Fred Flinstone was the father of its judicial system. I can't wait til January 2012 and I am out of here faster than Superman can pick up Lois Lane....

Old 12-12-2011, 10:40 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,639 times
Since the company I work for is closing in March 2012, I have been looking to stay on the east coast basically Maine to Florida. I've been lurking in Georgia and Tennesee tonight and I come across "Midwestern Yankee" While I'm not from New England I did spend my first 23 years in PA and my last 18 in northern Delaware. I'm a Yankee, and I've earned my stripes visiting relatives in North and South Carolina my whole life lol. Mid westerners are flatlanders and land lovers not Yankees.

Btw, Georgia is a beautiful state.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:03 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
OP's post is nearly 2 years old (and it's a nothing more than a vent). Sorry.

(sound of door closing)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: