U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 09:36 PM

3 posts, read 15,115 times

Advertisements

This is my first post, so I hope I am in the right place. If not, perhaps someone can suggest a better spot to post.

I have lived in Metro Atlanta for many years now and, I'm sorry to say, must stay here another year or so. My older sister (late 50's) has decided to sell her farm in North Carolina, where she has lived for many years, to move closer to her daughter and son-in-law in Ringgold, Georgia. That may not sound difficult, but my sister has preferences that I am finding hard to help with. The town she wishes to buy a home in...
1. must be more than 25 miles from Ringgold, but no more than 100 miles away
2. must be free of crime and of drug use
3. should have a well-stocked library
4. should be near a college or university
5. must have some shopping and cultural choices
6. must speak English
7. should be reasonably progressive
There are some other things she would like (horses, water, nature, etc.) , but the preceding are of greatest importance.
I suggested Chattannooga, but that is too big and has too much crime for her tastes. I believe she wants to pay less than $200,000 for a home.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 10:49 PM

4,679 posts, read 11,053,523 times
Greetings. Lived near 'nooga for a few years, and can say that the area is very nice. There are many communities w/in the area that can meet some or maybe majority of those criterias - however, keep in mind that unfortunately no area is crime free, or even drugs [alcohol is a legal drug, and kills many every day... and yes, I do drink on occasion ]. IMHO, there are no areas really w/in that region that I would consider 'progressive', per se. As far as colleges and libraries, 'nooga is going to be the best for such. Cleveland, TN is a nice somewhat vibrant town. Fort Oglethorpe is also attractive, possibly matching some of those criteria too.

Another couple points about this region: where you live and work, be aware of various taxes, as TN doesn't collect a state income tax, but make up for such w/ property and sales taxes. Other point is that transportation in the area, while close to a destination as the crow flies, is not as easy due to the ridges/mountains in the area which while very scenic, most take into account roads have switchbacks, and can be 'fun' at times...

And driving on the interstates thru 'nooga can be a bear, even in non-rush hour periods, as the wonderful planners must have been on some of those drugs discussed above, as you have 4 interstates converging into one, w/ some curves and hills mixed into the fun, which provides too many chances for ties ups due to wrecks and/or other traffic issues.

Seriously, 'nooga's downtown is something to experience - they have come a long positive way in the past few years. Large aquarium, walking bridge, good restaurants, free concerts, nice festivals, awesome history, beautiful scenery, etc. Durn,,, I miss that area...

In any case, guess would steer her towards the Cleveland area, as that would have the most bang for the buck on those items, I believe. Please post a follow up as to what she does end up deciding.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:33 AM

71 posts, read 665,154 times
Default North Georgia

There are a number of nice little towns in Northwest Georgia, near Ringgold. Dalton is growing like a weed and probably has all that your sister would like; there is a large group of Mexicans though.
Fort Oglethrope is close and is a really nice area.
Other nice little towns are Chickamauga, Trion, Summerville, Lakeview, Rossville. All are close to Chattanooga, but Atlanta is not that far away either.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:51 AM

3 posts, read 15,115 times
livylee here: Thanks, ShadowCaver and cotton, for the suggestions. I have passed them along to my sister. I'll be seeing her in a few days at our parents' home in South Carolina, and we'll discuss these options more at that time.
I don't mention the fact that Atlanta is not that far away as this fact is decidedly a negative to most of my family. My mother is originally from Kennesaw, but she refuses to set foot within one hundred miles of Atlanta these days.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:43 PM

4,679 posts, read 11,053,523 times
lol,,, must say that I share the feelings regarding Hotlanta - at least in regards to the traffic and congestion.

Oh, it doesn't really fit too much of the criteria, but for an example,,, St. Elmo area could really be a place - has many historic houses, along w/ right at the foot of Lookout Mtn., and being close to all areas you've mentioned. However, open land is scarce I believe except for at the south-east-south direction. Of course, could also move into the Flintstone area...

Old 06-06-2007, 01:44 PM

6 posts, read 55,168 times
Exclamation Don't move to DALTON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton View Post
There are a number of nice little towns in Northwest Georgia, near Ringgold. Dalton is growing like a weed and probably has all that your sister would like; there is a large group of Mexicans though.
Fort Oglethrope is close and is a really nice area.
Other nice little towns are Chickamauga, Trion, Summerville, Lakeview, Rossville. All are close to Chattanooga, but Atlanta is not that far away either.
Dalton is going down hill. We've had gang shootings at local businesses in the middle of the day going on. A high school boy got shot by 3 members of the tiny winos gang. It's not a good place to live anymore. Cops have stopped arresting and pulling over mexicans because so many are illegal that our jail gets over flooded and it takes immigration two months to come pick them up.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:23 PM

8 posts, read 35,815 times
Is she still looking? How about Ellijay, even Rome or Cartersville.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:42 PM

348 posts, read 946,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaLively View Post
Dalton is going down hill. We've had gang shootings at local businesses in the middle of the day going on. A high school boy got shot by 3 members of the tiny winos gang. It's not a good place to live anymore. Cops have stopped arresting and pulling over mexicans because so many are illegal that our jail gets over flooded and it takes immigration two months to come pick them up.

This is so sad that our beautiful little towns are being destroyed like this, and we do nothing to stop it.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:52 PM

9 posts, read 48,988 times
Amanda - I'm sorry you have such a negative feeling about Dalton. I happen to love it - I've moved back in the last 18 months, after being gone for years. To me, it has a lot of very positive energy going for it...lots of successful businesses, a downtown that is being revitalized, beautiful historic neighborhoods as well as great new condo developments, etc. The college here is expanding every year and has just raised something like $18 million toward that expansion. It was very sad to hear about the teen shooting...and nothing can make up for any loss of life. But when I was a little girl we used to hear about "gangs" all the time...its just that back then they were white, the local version of the Hatfields & McCoys...you know, some decades old rivalry between old-timey bootleggers or something -- the "illegals" of their time, even though they were all white!!! But those guys were always shooting at each other and burning stuff down and paying off cousin cops...its not like the South was always a shining example of peace and brotherhood, ya know! Anyway -- all I'm saying is that Dalton is actually a beautiful little town that a lot of people actually take a lot of pride in...and we would be happy to welcome newcomers who appreciate the history and charm of the place, as well as the challenges that come with change and growth.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 5,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaLively View Post
I Totally agree I have lived in Dalton all my life it USED to be a great place to raise kids, untill the Illegals took over now I cant stand the thoughts of having my grandchildren grow up in these dangerous schools!!!!
Dalton High School had a star football player who had already been given a full scholarship get shot and killed on the street corner due to gang violence!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or