U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:28 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,531,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In other words can people tell you from up north just by talking to them."
Yes. I might not know exactly where up north they are from, as some of the northern states sound the same to me, but I'll know it's in the Northeast.

The accent I had the hardest time figuring out is Canadian accents. 90% of the time they are talking they sound just like someone from Iowa or some other Midwestern state. Then, 10% of the time they will say something that sounds really funny and that will give away the fact that they are from some other place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 12:39 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,680,909 times
Funny you should bring this up...

I live in Florida, it has been my opinion that you take the New Yorker out of New York and they act differently.

I was waiting outside the bank waiting for them to open, a guy from New York walked up who was visiting the area...he said he had tried to use the ATM but it ate his card, we started chatting...

I laughingly told him the machine ate his card because he is a Yank...he got a HUGE laugh out of that...in New York if I had said that, he might have reacted a little differently.

When the Yanks come down here they really do act differently...they pick up on the way of life, the slow, friendly attitude.

I think the briskness of people from New York and New England is an infectious kind of thing...change their environment and they are like Southern Wannabes...

Old 05-31-2007, 02:19 PM

75 posts, read 354,444 times
Default hey

While in the Marine Corps, I shared a room with a marine from Pennsylvania and a marine from Boston. Im from west central georgia. After a few months when we would go home to visit. we all would get ribbed about picking up on each others accents, so i would have to say that you can pick up an accent no matter where youre from!

Old 05-31-2007, 03:16 PM

29 posts, read 219,758 times
I have heard that some who relocate to the south act differently but I have heard that some are rude,and additionaly according to friends and people I know they say that Southern Florida has a tremednous amount of rude people Natives and Out of Towners alike.I've also get the same impression when reading the threads posted on here.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:38 PM

670 posts, read 2,774,700 times
I spent most of my childhood and teen years in Southern California, specifically Huntington Beach--which fortunately or unfortunately makes me sound somewhat like a surfer dude or mall chick from a stereotypical Cali show. I have not really lost my accent after living back in the south or midwest (Texas) for the last 15 years or so. Now my youngest, he's 6, definitely has a more Georgian accent than his brother and sister who are older and raised mostly in Texas, but Dallas so it's not like they sound twangy or something. And yes people usually can tell I'm from Cali straight away.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:10 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,558,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
There really are four Georgia regions: South Georgia (which also includes North Florida); Coastal Georgia (which really goes up through South Carolina); Metro-Atlanta; and the Appalachian regions - which also includes western North Carolina and Nortwest South Carolina.

Three of these regions (except Atlanta) have their own dialects. The Apalachian people don't have typical Southern accents at all. South Georgia, North Florida and Much of Alabama have a similar southern dialect. Coastal Georgia has an even different dialect.

A person from South Georgia who speaks what I call "southern" really couldn't talk like the people native to the North Georgia mountains. So, for a Yankee to pick up on that dialect would be next to impossible. To me (I probably have a slight southern accent), the Apalachian people don't really sound "southrern". Atlanta people sound sort of midwestern, northern, no-accent, and some southern mix.

That's just my inexpert thoughts on this matter of accents.
We just refer to it as "Perfect English"

Old 05-31-2007, 09:43 PM

84 posts, read 417,122 times
Regarding the accent: I think it's a personal thing, based on how well you hear nuance in voice and language. I'm terrible with names and faces, but I can remember someone's voice even after meeting only once and pick them out if I hear them one aisle over in the supermarket. Coincidentally, I also pick up particular accents easily and can mimic others' speech. I think that's why my French is decent (for a Southern girl) and my husband's French sounds like a bad movie parody.

Regarding the manners and attitude: My husband is in the miliary so we move often. Wherever I go I carry my Southern traditions (ALWAYS bring a hostess gift. ALWAYS send a thank you note, even after a back yard cookout, Dropping by with "just because" gifts of food or flowers from the garden, etc.) I find that the people I meet start doing the same thing, and really start enjoying that level of courtesy and thoughtfulness. By the time we leave, everyone RSVPs to events, shows up with flowers, and sends a thank you note the next day. Lovely. Sometimes, though, people who move down South don't realize that is what is expected so they skip the thank you note for a casual Friday night supper (It was just meatloaf--no need for a note. ). I always wonder if those are the people who show up on these threads and report that Southerners are "cliquish" and "just aren't friendly". When in Rome...

Old 07-03-2007, 10:52 PM

5 posts, read 33,410 times
OH YES! People can tell if you're a YANKEE or a SOUTHERNER.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:46 AM

16 posts, read 52,911 times
Quote:
I remember when I first came here it seemed (to me) like it took the natives here forever to get to the point. I was used to going from point A to point B in 15 seconds or less, but here I'd have conversations with people who would stop-off at points D, F, M, and P on their WAY to B. LOL. My first couple of years talking to people here involved me talking to myself in my head while they were speaking... "c'mon.. c'mon... oh dear god get to the POINT already!". I have a coworker now who's originally from South Georgia and I swear to god it takes him 22 minutes to say "excuse me" in whatever way he does it. People usually fall asleep listening to him try to spit out a paragraph.
Not all southerners talk slowly. My wife is from Gaffney, SC and she speaks quite rapidly as do her mother and sister. She only left the south four years, but she does have a true southern dialect. From what I've seen, it just depends on where in the south you are from.

ASGDRP

Old 07-04-2007, 02:48 PM

276 posts, read 1,045,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton View Post
Dawn't worry, Sugar, they arin't no dangea of yo losin yo Nawthern accent down yhere. I agree with the others; my children don't even have a Southern accent although they were born and raised here. I am from NW GA, now living in the Piedmont. When I talk with folks from back home, I realize that they do indeed have a different dialect, and I find myself falling back into that manner of speaking. Georgia is a big melting pot and you really don't notice a really Southern accent unless you are in the mountains.

Just keep in mind that you can say anything about anybody down here as long as you include "bless their heart." As in ... "That girl could ear corn through a picket fence, bless her heart."

And ... We are not ignorant. We know better than to end a sentence with a preposition. That's why you hear a lot of folks saying things like, "That's what I want more of, Hon." or "Where are you going to, Hon?"

When you think about it, it isn't the accent, it is the WAY of saying things that you will find different, however a true Southern accent is delightful to hear.
I am a born northerner and I dont expect to loose my accent ...I know it is as thick as it is going to get and although I would love to loose it(at times lol) I have lived all over the country and everyone always knows where I am from no matter wshere I call home now...Especially when I say Cahhh(car) or parrrrk(park)...they always say you are from Boston huh...lol..I just laugh...And it is funny cause I never noticed it b4 but now that I live in the state of FL(totally ready to move to peachy GA)I have started to hear the accent that I never heard b4...Mine....I love accents of all kinds..just not mine (on me at least lol)....Take Care...Lisa

Last edited by nibseysgirl; 07-04-2007 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: sp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or