U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:47 AM

705 posts, read 957,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Hmmm...yes....let's unionize the teachers, police and firefighters, so I can go back to paying $8k/year in property taxes for a 1,000 sf, 50 y/o house like I was in NJ. Let's make sure they get pay increases regardless of performance, get pay increases even in a down economy, get their benefits paid for fully (and paid for life once they retire), get to accrue sick time and retire with $200k of sick time built up, etc.

Ohh, and while you're at it, can you unionize my profession too, and all of the other private sector industries that don't get any of those perks? We'd like to get on that gravy train too.......
It surely wasnt the unions that drove property taxes up in NJ or NY or anywhere up there, I grew up in that area, have lots of relatives in public service, politics, the private sector as well as the mob, I'm sure any of them can tell you the real culprits behind your observations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 10:53 AM

7,857 posts, read 15,085,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
It surely wasnt the unions that drove property taxes up in NJ or NY or anywhere up there, I grew up in that area, have lots of relatives in public service, politics, the private sector as well as the mob, I'm sure any of them can tell you the real culprits behind your observations.
I grew up in that area as well, and while there are many reasons for the high cost of living there, unions have contributed by driving up wages and the cost of doing business, and many of them were controlled or influenced by the mob.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:32 AM

725 posts, read 1,325,120 times
Personally I think its better to have a choice to join or not. It's not fair to me to have to be forced to join an organization just to earn a check.

They are trying to unionize Delta. Its making a lot of people nervous, because under the National Railroad and Labor act. Even workers in right to work states have to join a union. Because Delta has remained one of the few ununionized big transport companies they have been able to compete better and grow while at the same time offering competitive wages.

However they also have a big target on their back

Old 02-16-2010, 11:40 AM

7,857 posts, read 15,085,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Delta has remained one of the few ununionized big transport companies they have been able to compete better and grow while at the same time offering competitive wages. However they also have a big target on their back
All the employees have to do is vote down the union. Of course, if certain political parties and politicians get their way, then we'll have so-called "card check" where a union goon can come and watch you vote and intimidate you. Let's hope that one goes the way other proposals seem to be going as of late... nowhere fast.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:27 PM

705 posts, read 957,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I grew up in that area as well, and while there are many reasons for the high cost of living there, unions have contributed by driving up wages and the cost of doing business, and many of them were controlled or influenced by the mob.
Yes, that is also true. Unions have a very useful purpose. But getting past the cannotation that that the word "union" often evokes is also important. In the context I was referring to, teachers and public employees, I'm not talking about Jimmy Hoffa or "On the Waterfront" type unions. A union in the form of an assocation or professional organization is certainly a large help to the employees as well as the public in the case of teachers and government employees. The right type of union or organization has a lot to do with how successful it will prove to be. Many past unions were nothing more than employment agencies for the members. That started many of the problems. There is certainly a need for certain unions and organizations right now.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:55 PM

725 posts, read 1,325,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
All the employees have to do is vote down the union. Of course, if certain political parties and politicians get their way, then we'll have so-called "card check" where a union goon can come and watch you vote and intimidate you. Let's hope that one goes the way other proposals seem to be going as of late... nowhere fast.
Naw worst than that! The National Mediation Board is trying to change the rules that have been in place for 75 years that says that the majority of employess have to vote for a union. Now they will change it so people that don't show up to vote will automatically vote for a union. One of the 3 members on the board was a former Northwest union leader. I hope that card check is checked at the door too.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:44 PM

152 posts, read 465,539 times
Obviously GA has taken a hit in the economy like everyone else but their is no doubt that the lack of union presence (compared to say MI or NY) has helped the state recruit new business. There is a reason Kia chose Georgia- and not Michigan.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:05 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,104,208 times
Thank God Georgia is not a 'union state'. And hopefully will stay that way. As far as I'm concerned the carpet baggers that come to the South, West, etc. and are upset by the lack of unions need to stay their rear-ends in their wonderful sheethole 'union states'...Michigan, Ohio, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, etc.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:05 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,336,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
Thank God Georgia is not a 'union state'. And hopefully will stay that way. As far as I'm concerned the carpet baggers that come to the South, West, etc. and are upset by the lack of unions need to stay their rear-ends in their wonderful sheethole 'union states'...Michigan, Ohio, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, etc.

come on now . . . that's an unnecessary comment don't ya think?

its not the union workers that are the problem . . . .its the management that siphons their employers dry.

and there are so many unions we never hear about having problems.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:26 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,104,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
come on now . . . that's an unnecessary comment don't ya think?

its not the union workers that are the problem . . . .its the management that siphons their employers dry.

and there are so many unions we never hear about having problems.
No i agree unions are necessary...I've actually worked somewhere where a union was desparately needed. But IN GENERAL they are dirtbags...I grew up in a family of union workers, in a neighborhood of union workers, in a state that unions controlled everything. I could spend the next 24hrs telling stories of union workers that get busted doing drugs at work just to get paid vacation in a rehab center...workers that get caught stealing just to do prison time and collect benefits while locked up and walk out of prison right back to their union job...guys that sit for months, years in job banks, etc. doing nothing while they collect a very nice paycheck...janitors that make $30/hr...workers that take 3hr lunches at the bar while on the clock...

That's why so many people are moving to the south and the west...That's why we are holding up so much better than the north and northeast...So if these jerk-offs want to come here and cry and complain that we don't have unions like they did 'back home'...then stay the hell back home in Michigan, Ohio, New Jersery, New York, etc...There's a reason GA hasn't become the sheethole those states are...Let's keep it that way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or