U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:12 AM

705 posts, read 958,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
No i agree unions are necessary...I've actually worked somewhere where a union was desparately needed. But IN GENERAL they are dirtbags...I grew up in a family of union workers, in a neighborhood of union workers, in a state that unions controlled everything. I could spend the next 24hrs telling stories of union workers that get busted doing drugs at work just to get paid vacation in a rehab center...workers that get caught stealing just to do prison time and collect benefits while locked up and walk out of prison right back to their union job...guys that sit for months, years in job banks, etc. doing nothing while they collect a very nice paycheck...janitors that make $30/hr...workers that take 3hr lunches at the bar while on the clock...

That's why so many people are moving to the south and the west...That's why we are holding up so much better than the north and northeast...So if these jerk-offs want to come here and cry and complain that we don't have unions like they did 'back home'...then stay the hell back home in Michigan, Ohio, New Jersery, New York, etc...There's a reason GA hasn't become the sheethole those states are...Let's keep it that way!
There are also reasons why Georigia has a terrible track record when it comes to schools, infrastructure, planning, etc. It's the head up the butt attitude you are exemplifying. This is an issue and idea that has far reaching positive effects. Yes, there are bad unions and bad things have happened as a result of such, but you have got to open your eyes and smell the rotting roses. A union per se may not be the best thing in certain instances, but employee organzations and groups that hold accountable those that need to be held accountable are surely needed, not just in GA but everywhere. There are unions that do just that. In my opinion teachers, public safety employees and others need these types of organizations, especially when the government is doing a terrible job and wasting the taxpayers money. And in GA that happens quite a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 07:19 AM

9,124 posts, read 33,148,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
There are also reasons why Georigia has a terrible track record when it comes to schools, infrastructure, planning, etc. It's the head up the butt attitude you are exemplifying. This is an issue and idea that has far reaching positive effects. Yes, there are bad unions and bad things have happened as a result of such, but you have got to open your eyes and smell the rotting roses. A union per se may not be the best thing in certain instances, but employee organzations and groups that hold accountable those that need to be held accountable are surely needed, not just in GA but everywhere. There are unions that do just that. In my opinion teachers, public safety employees and others need these types of organizations, especially when the government is doing a terrible job and wasting the taxpayers money. And in GA that happens quite a bit.
Just curious- how do unions fix the two pieces of your post that I've bolded?

- Is a lack of unions somehow responsible for poor school performance, poor infrastructure, and/or poor planning? If so, please explain how having union involvement in any of these issues solves the problems.

- How do unions help to keep the government from "doing a terrible job and wasting the taxpayers money"??

I'm not trying to be harsh here- I'm honestly curious as to how you think a larger union presence in GA would address these items.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:39 AM

705 posts, read 958,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Just curious- how do unions fix the two pieces of your post that I've bolded?

- Is a lack of unions somehow responsible for poor school performance, poor infrastructure, and/or poor planning? If so, please explain how having union involvement in any of these issues solves the problems.

- How do unions help to keep the government from "doing a terrible job and wasting the taxpayers money"??

I'm not trying to be harsh here- I'm honestly curious as to how you think a larger union presence in GA would address these items.
By asking hard questions and placing accountability where it should be. I worked at a PD (and know of other depts) where the association and/or union did exactly just that. I've been watching what is currently happening with the schools and their budget. The teachers need an advocacy group now more than ever. The GA DOT has certainly had it's share of issues lately also.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:30 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,104,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
I have to disagree with the terrible track record you say GA has. I will give you that the 'planning' here has been horrendous, though I'm not sure that has anything to do with being a non-union state. The infrastructure...not the best but not that much worse than any other states.

Now schools...Just my personal experience...my kids went to school up north in one of the supposedly top schools in the state, for ONE YEAR, outside of that one year we have been in the South...in that one year in this supposedly top school in one of the big union states that's supposed to have great schools (i mean you would think they would considering their teacher union has more power than the mafia)...They saw more fights, more racism (from both black and white), more kids with serious mental/behavior issues, just more all around crazy stuff...than they have seen in the 7yrs combined of school in the South. The test scores may or may not be higher, but with all the filth and garbage you have to put up with in the wonderful 'union states', i'll take a few points lower on their SAT's anyday!

Old 09-25-2012, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony200 View Post
As a native northener who are used to labor unions protesting, why doesn't Georgia have any unions? I heard it is a union free state. Isnt this detrimental?
I would love to hear your thoughts........
We don't need more unions

Old 09-26-2012, 09:51 AM

5,438 posts, read 4,206,563 times
Teachers desperately need it. Here in Conyers, it's taken four years to get a principal ousted who was nothing but a bully. Repeated complaints to the school system yielded nothing but empty promises and retaliation to the point of retaliatory firings of multiple good teachers, ruining their lives, and it ultimately hurts the students--the entire reason for schools to exist!
A union could have taken actions that these "professional groups" like PAGE and GAE can't. Including providing competent attorney representation, and being able to have an outsider take a magnifying glass to that school.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:22 AM

146 posts, read 162,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Teachers desperately need it. Here in Conyers, it's taken four years to get a principal ousted who was nothing but a bully. Repeated complaints to the school system yielded nothing but empty promises and retaliation to the point of retaliatory firings of multiple good teachers, ruining their lives, and it ultimately hurts the students--the entire reason for schools to exist!
A union could have taken actions that these "professional groups" like PAGE and GAE can't. Including providing competent attorney representation, and being able to have an outsider take a magnifying glass to that school.
Yep. Nothing like union

Old 09-26-2012, 03:31 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,384,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
You do realize a union would make that harder?

Old 09-26-2012, 03:33 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,384,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycrn87 View Post
Yep. Nothing like union
More like "nothing like being lazy and having job security."

Old 08-04-2013, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,191 times
I have worked at a few companies where during orientation we were told that if a union formed in the company they would just close the doors and move. And yes it has happened more than once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or