U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 01:14 PM

2,983 posts, read 2,669,334 times

Advertisements

I vacationed there last summer w/ my family, and loved it. Yes, it's a tiny Island, but "the village" is very nice. Quite charming, w/ the pier and light house and lots of little shops and restuarants, very walkable. I was also quite suprised w/ the abundance of moss trees on the island! I felt as if I were in an undiscovered part of Louisiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 09:13 PM

8 posts, read 22,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
My family has lived here since 1891. I live here 3/4ths of the time. That is nonsense.

Just what part is nonsense?
Bad traffic ? true
Storm of 1898? true. Since 1891? well you should know that one.
Dora in 64? true
In the county? true
Full of yankees and atlantans? true

Old 04-22-2010, 09:41 PM

23,120 posts, read 36,831,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thstreet View Post
Just what part is nonsense?
Bad traffic ? true
Storm of 1898? true. Since 1891? well you should know that one.
Dora in 64? true
In the county? true
Full of yankees and atlantans? true
I'm seriously worried about storms that came through over 50 and 100 years ago and paled in comparison to more recent storms as Hugo, Andrew and Katrina. As anyone that knows anything about such things will tell you, hurricane strikes on the GA coast are a rarity compared to its' neighbors, thanks to the Georgia Bight.
Sorry re: your bigotry regarding 'Yankees' and 'Atlantans'...if this anxiety continues, I recommend Nahunta or Ludowici.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:08 PM

8 posts, read 22,600 times
"thanks to the Georgia Bight"

The same Bight that will cause extreme Storm Surge ?

Old 04-22-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:

You really should visit the City v City Forum. Trolls are much more at home there.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:10 PM

37 posts, read 65,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Sorry re: your bigotry regarding 'Yankees' and 'Atlantans'...if this anxiety continues, I recommend Nahunta or Ludowici.
You don't sound like a native Georgian to me. You do have some really good stories though.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backinblac View Post
You don't sound like a native Georgian to me. You do have some really good stories though.
9th generation Georgian, raised in Druid Hills. Great-great-great-great-great-great granddaddy was a revolutionary war hero, buried in the old family cemetery in Cedar Grove, along with several other generations of my family. The DAR still comes every year on Memorial Day to decorate his grave. Believe it, honey.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:35 AM

2,983 posts, read 2,669,334 times
Quote:
Saint Simons is CROWDED. The traffic is bad most of the time. Its considered a suburb of Atlanta. As for Hurricanes the island went under water in the storm of 1898. Dont get complacent. It is a barrier island ,a sand-bar. DORA in 64 took a large part of the south end of SSI. Notice how Beachview drive is missing a good bit . Additionally, no matter what the yankees and city folks say this is the County. If you wish you can go out in your yard and shoot your guns. No city rules here. Lets keep it that way. I am a LIFE long resident and could care less about how folks live else where. If you move here leave your yankee/city attitude behind. Also, if the Confederate Battle Flag offends you stay away.
St. Simons is a suburb of Brunswick(which isnt that big itself). Atlanta is in the middle of the state. But I was there last summer and traffic didnt seem that bad to me. I enjoyed the trip, it was very laidback and the village, was quaint, w/ lots of tourists shops and we ate at this good resturant down there, can't remember what it was, but it was good.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 6,636 times
By now you have probably visited all three areas, but just incase you haven't or something cause you to delay your trips, here is my input.

St. Simons sounds like the place for you. My husband was raised in DeLand. I spent my weekends and summers on Ameila Island. I was born and raised outside of St. Simons and now still own a condo there.

St. Simons is laid back and makes you feel like you have been taken back 100 years due to the history of the island. Yes, there is all the high-tech things you need there. Internet, cell phones, etc., but it is so peaceful. There is a t-shirt that my son loves to wear that we purchased on the island. The shirt says " I'm on Island Time ". Everything is slow on the island. My husband is a go, go, go person and it takes hima few days to get on " island time " everytime we get there. Not me, I adjust just fine. LOL

This is a place that you can walk down to the pier with your child and get an ice cream cone and then stop at the park and let them slide and swing while you sit on the bench. When my son was young, I would pick him up from school early and we would ride over to the island, pick up a pizza and sit at the picnic table and eat it. Then, we would take the left over crust and let him feed it to the sea birds that are flying all around that area. That was our little spot and I still have fond memories today. This sounds like what your looking for.

I will make a recommendation to you and that is with the economy like it is and there is an abundance of houses for sale, rent a home and see where you want to live. Maybe not for the town so much, but to decide the neighborhood you want to purchase your permanent home in.

The Village is a small shopping area and there is another one called Red Fern Village for more upscale clothing, furniture, etc.. You can drive off the island and into Brunswick to go to the mall and larger stores like Home Depot, Pet Smart, Walmart, etc.. Your going to have to drive there anyway when your child goes to highschool. There is no highschool on the island. That is the only drawback to me. If there was a sickness or accident and you need to get to your child quickly, you have to drive off the island.

I also feel very safe on the island and haven't experience any violence or crime either. People do walk, bike and are very pet friendly. Finally, yes the south is very religious. We are Southern Baptist, Methodist, Episcopalian, etc., but you would not notice who is attending church and who isn't. You will not be judged for that.

I hope this helps and I hope you find what your looking for.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:54 PM

1,393 posts, read 7,211,161 times
Quote:

I'm from NJ but have been to the area many times. As one who sails I can tell you the area is noted on nautical charts as a safe place to get into during any rare major storms.

That is unless you think you're smarter than the entire US Navy...Why do you think ...given their choice of anywhere along the east coast ,they "park" their extremely expensive nuclear submarines in Kings Bay base.
(in between St. Simons and St. Mary's).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia