Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 08:12 AM

511 posts, read 2,476,655 times

Advertisements

Macon has been in a straight down fall the last 6-8 years, but Macon is trying to make the best of 2007, the main focus is crime, major political news, and huge growth in South Bibb Co.

Crime has dropped tremendiously in Macon, with the help of the Georgia State Patrol, who have turned an old elementary school into a temporary station located along one of Macon's most crime filth streets. Many people see Georgia State Patrol along interstate highways, and major country backroads, but here in Macon you can find them anyday of the week patrol along Houston Ave.

The Macon Police have also done a great job, the 10 new Dodge Chargers that were purchased early in the year prove to be what its worth. The department may have taken the Chargers, and 10's of new Crown Vic's to the head, because patrol is stiff, and viglilante ( police presence ) is high. The number of car thefts last year at this time was 427, this year it is recorded at 290, that is a huge decrease, this is primarily due to the presence of the Georgia State Patrol, Macon Police, and Bibb County Sheriff, they all deserve credit.

The city is also Macon the best of 2007 looking good in political news, with the first black mayor headed out the door, and possibly the first black female heading in. Cities across America are looking toward the women's personality or strenght, care, and hope to run major cities, for example Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin recognied as an icon amoung her female mayoral collegues.

Its bittersweet for Mercer University to release that they have bought Tindall Heights, a low wealth income housing project, that has been a nat at the bar-b-que for the city of Macon. But what could Mercer possibly od with this land is now the question. I would luv to see a football team move onto the property it would be the first college in Middle Georgia to have a football team. This would be great for the community and the college vibe, Macon and all of its colleges are trying to establish.

Hartley Bridge Road may not be within the city of Macon limits, but Macon is also taking advantage of the huge growth in the area, with 1,500 homes beginning construction last month along the road, many restaraunts and stores are signing contracts as you read to move onto Hartley Bridge Road, including what could possibly be Middle Georgia's first TGI Fridays', Jack in the Box, and even the well televised Red Robin, it would also be a Middle Georgia first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 10:07 AM

634 posts, read 2,921,986 times
Good News! Yep, crime is definately down in Macon, I bet. And it would be great if you guys could get that TGI Friday's! I believe they will definately locate in Macon, because it is clear that Macon needs one.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:15 PM

Everyone take a look at the link below. Whats behind is great, it will show you that crime in Macon is going down. However on the other hand Warner Robins has a muder-suicide and a homicide, and we're only 17 days into the year. I hope we can rap this thread on on this note, and move foward to my new thread "Macon The Best of 2008", which I will have up in the next couple of days, it will allow everyone to read what to expect from Macon in 2008 as I did in this thread which gave you all the chance to see what was expected in 2007, however it will be more detailed. I will also provide a 2007 flashback in the next couple of days, thanks!

Macon's major crimes down in 2007 (broken link)

Old 01-17-2008, 03:21 PM

177 posts, read 221,440 times
LOL....Nice try.

Check your statistics again if you think Macon hasnt had a homocide this year.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:10 PM

The stabbing your talking about didnt end in a homicide the man survived, he is good condition. So currently Macon has no murders and Warner Robins has three. The world is coming to an end why Warner Robins has 3 murders in seventeen days. No not necessarily, once again we all make mistakes, we're all human and every city has its problems this is what i've been trying to say. You cant keep building 100K houses arm lenght apart its not going to work.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:41 PM

177 posts, read 221,440 times
What you dont seem to realize is there is nothing to a 100K house (by the way, that is exactly what the 1500 houses you speak of on Hartley Bridge road is going to be-just watch how long it takes to fill them up).

Bottom line is this....Macon is NOT experiencing any growth, population wise. Your own paper has noted that at length. Bibb county is experiencing some, but not enough to write home about. I`ll say this once again because it doesnt seem to be getting through.....just because you build something, doesnt mean the population is going to go up. Sure, there will be many who VISIT the new Macon mall....but they arent going to move to Macon just because of it, no more than folks will forego living in Byron and Warner Robins and the great school systems there to move to Hartley Bridge Rd to be near TGI Fridays and the Red Robin.
As I have said, real estate is my business and trust me...there are many more hurting builders/investors in Macon than in Warner Robins. As a matter of fact, many high end builders are coming here and to Monroe county to get out from under the burden of their unsold spec homes in Macon. Like I said...ride through ANY upscale North Macon subdivision and look at the for sale signs. They are everywhere. That is because the money is leaving Macon for other areas. Heck, Monroe county is the wealthiest county in the midstate (with Houston right behind it)....Look at the population of Bibb compared to these two counties and tell me they arent picking up some of Macon`s money and I will tell you you are crazy.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:34 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,033,710 times
Macon, GA the best of Georgia??? Talk about a fairytale. None of the propoganda that MayorofMacon or Johndoeboy posts will convince people that places like Macon and Augusta are growing.. Both cities are losing population. Anyone who bases the vitality of a city on a TGI Friday's or a strip mall.. truly is living in a dreamworld. It reminds me of the podunk towns that have parades when a Hardees or Wal-mart opens... "We have ARRIVED!".. it's truly pathetic.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:22 PM

383 posts, read 722,517 times
Show me something that says augusta has lost population in 2006 and 2007. Please provide. I know already you can't but i want to see your response.

Job creation in Augusta was one of the topics as the University of Georgia's Terry School of Business put on its annual economic forecast for the state and the city. Augusta officials are hoping for things to continue to be sunny.
Mayor Deke Copenhaver, Augusta: "I think we're going to have continued success, and continue to build on the momentum that we've seen over the past year. Really, I've said along that Augusta is an undervalued economy."
But, the new Dean at UGA's school warned Augusta leaders that problems in the housing market, with energy costs, and Georgia's drought could put the brakes on job growth, statewide.
Dr Robert Sumichrast, Dean, University of Georgia Terry School of Business: "There is certainly a strong risk of a recession, but I think the most likely scenario, is growth in '08. I think Augusta will do better. I think Augusta will do better than the state, as a whole, we've got a growing population in Augusta for the first time in a long time. Augusta's growth helped this small business grow, in '07, and for those here, the hope is thing continue to look good in '08.

Should i believe the dean of the univ. of GA. That augusta population is growing our your negative opinion. All you do is give false advertisement
Georgia Economic Outlook 2008 - News - Augusta, GA (http://www.wjbf.com/midatlantic/jbf/news_index.apx.-content-articles-JBF-2008-01-04-0031.html - broken link)

Old 01-17-2008, 11:56 PM

177 posts, read 973,094 times
Hey Peelo,

I think you're mistaken, some people do move to be near restaurants. As soon at that new Jack in the Box is completed, I'm going to start house hunting in Macon!

zebbie

Old 01-18-2008, 12:06 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,033,710 times
Wow...moving to be near a Jack In the Box.. now that really is pathetic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon