U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 05:32 PM

154 posts, read 855,449 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if there is a huge difference in lifestyle between California & Georgia? I have never been to that area of the country, but I find myself very curious about what people are like in other parts of the country. I seem to be fascinated with the south.
Would anybody lie to share their opinion on what they think is different about Georgia compared to CA??

These are some of the stereotypes I have heard about southern states, please tell me if you think that they are wrong.

Are the people friendlier?

Is the food really that different? better? worse?

What kind of things do people in their 20's do for fun?

What i the weather like?

Do most people have "southern accents"

Anything interesting that you wouldn't mind sharing would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 06:38 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,306,746 times
Arrow A previous thread about the South/Atlanta

Go Here>>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...-virginia.html

The discussion was 'Is Atlanta more Southern than No Va?' but you may find some ideas about what it is like in the SE US.

You will find more diversity closer to the larger cities and fewer southern accents in these areas. You will find more ethnic restaurants/foods in larger towns and cities. Traditional Southern fare includes vegetables such as beans, corn, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, black eyed peas, turnips and turnip greens and squash. Fried fish and chicken, barbeque, country fried steak, biscuits and cornbread are typical Southern foods.

The SE US has a moderate climate including 4 seasons. Less than 2 months of winter, a few weeks of jacket/coat weather. Summer --May -September--temperatures in the high 80's/90's with humidity. August brings the 'Dog Days' of summer--so hot that dogs wouldn't leave the shade, or so the story goes.

There is plenty for 20 somethings to do--sports of all kinds, mountains and beaches, all sorts of interest groups and clubs.
Many colleges and universities that offer enrichment courses or academic programs.

Californians seem to miss the Pacific coast --and the Atlantic Ocean cannot compare for surfing.

If you are looking for work in the IT industry--Alpharetta, GA--is the growth area for this type of employment. IIRC, many transplanted West Coasters can be found there.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:06 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,878,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkermoo View Post
I was wondering if there is a huge difference in lifestyle between California & Georgia?

What i the weather like?

Anything interesting that you wouldn't mind sharing would be appreciated

There's no way to compare the people of Georgia to California overall. I mean, people in L.A. are completely different than people in San Fran, and those are completely different from those who live in small towns in the boonies of California as well. Likewise, people in Atlanta are different than in Savannah or small North Georgia towns.

OVERALL, I guess you could say that if you rounded it all out, people are more conservative and religious in Georgia. Are they friendlier? Some would say yes, and others would say that while Californians are more in your face about not liking you if they don't, Southerners are usually polite to your face and then wait for you to leave the room before they say anything bad about you. Is that better? Depends on who you are.

Food again varies from place to place. Fresh seafood in Savannah... fancier places or soul food in Atlanta. "Home cooking" type food in rural areas. They perhaps eat more fried foods here than in some other areas of the country, and sweet iced tea is mandatory.

Weather - varies. More like4 seasons in the North Georgia mountain areas. More moderate in the middle area (Atlanta). Almost subtropical in South Georgia. Hot, humid, dry, but in the Spring we do sometimes get severe thunderstorms a lot and small tornadoes.

Southern accents - varies. More twangy in South Georgia, more plain country in North Georgia. People who want to make it in the business world quietly attend classes that teach you to "monotone" your twang. Others just watch Nascar a lot and go "Yeeehaw lookit dat!!".

I have two friends from California who live here now (they were from the San Jose and Sacramento areas), and I have visited there. I think overall Californians (no offense here...) are more politically correct than they are here (that's good or bad I guess depending on how you feel about it), and maybe a bit paranoid compared to here, too. For example, I do photography on the side. Here I can go downtown to the park and take people shots of people playing with their kids having fun in the large fountain at Centennial Olympic Park. The parents will wave or smile, or a few may want to see the pics you took and even ask if you can email them a copy. In California if you even aim your camera anywhere where there's a kid within 300ft of you,then you have parents running over to you going, "What are you DOING???" while dialing 911 on their cell phones. The exception being L.A. where people are so used to cameras everywhere they ignore them completely. However here if a real perv DID mess with someone's kid, they wouldn't call 911 - they'd probably just shoot them with a shotgun from the gun rack in the pickup. LOL

So yes, there are differences, but just like you'll find fried chicken and rednecks here, you're likely to find them in the backwoods of California as well. Same with celebrities, wealthy, poor, etc. The accent and tolerance levels for some things may vary a little, but it's not THAT different.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:36 PM

33 posts, read 168,310 times
I'd have to think about this one for awhile. It's kinda like comparing Italy with Central Europe or something.

California is a huge state with a myriad of climates. You have everything from dry, hot deserts in the south to cold, rugged mountains in the far north and east to the Pacific ocean which goes from warm sandy beaches in the south to cold, cliffs in the north. The state is so big and so varied because of climate, it's like Europe in its variety. Like Europe, the people are vary different depending on where they live in this state. I'd have to say Californians love the area they live in while Georgians love the state they live in.

Georgia has a small coastal area in the south and scenic, cold mountains in the north but no deserts. The people are diverse but not to the extent of California. There are really only 3 "cities" in Georgia, Atlanta, Macon and Savannah. California has many.

Georgia is really INexpensive compared to California (except for Atlanta). The state government in Georgia does not levy any where near the amount of taxes or control that Cali does. Check out the differences in commercial rental space, gas prices, personal income tax, crime, property taxes, building permits, professional permits, home prices, etc, etc. Cali is out of sight comparied to Georgia.

Yes, IMHO, California is overly progressive and politically correct compared to Georgia. Georgia, like most of the South is in the "Bible Belt" and being religiously correct is the norm. Georgians are great people and very friendly but the Civil War is a wound that refuses to heal for some. That way of life is revered. People are proud to be a southerner and a Georgian.

Somebody else chime in here.

Sage

Old 06-05-2007, 06:10 AM

33 posts, read 110,404 times
You sound like you need to book a ticket to Atlanta for a week if your that interested and just drive completely around 285, stopping in the 4 corners. In Atlanta, most of the nightlife is in Atlanta or north end Near Buckhead. Then head down 75 to Macon and Savanah. Downtown Athens at night is pretty nice. That will give you all you need.

Oh yea, im 23. My friends like to go to the movies(I dont care for that), skate, outdoor stuff, football ect. We are on the south side of Atlanta, not much to do.

The only place I want to visit in Calif. is Alcatraz Island

Last edited by 1899; 06-05-2007 at 06:33 AM..

Old 06-05-2007, 07:28 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,134,006 times
Knowing what I know now, I'd go back to California if I could afford it.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:13 AM

670 posts, read 2,774,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Knowing what I know now, I'd go back to California if I could afford it.
Ditto but I'm heading back to Texas based in COL and well other reasons that are probably not a good idea to post.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:43 AM

16 posts, read 125,207 times
Default It depends where you are in Georgia

I lived in Southwest Georgia for 5 1/2 years in a small town called Moultrie(rhymes with poultry). The people are friendly for the most part,but if you're not a local,you'll have a hard time fitting in. I never fit in because I am originally from N.Y. where there are many different ethnic groups. Now I live in California and it is more like what I'm used to as far as culture. I still have a hard time making friends,but that's the way it is sometimes. I don't blame the area,just the situation.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:30 PM

105 posts, read 491,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage113 View Post
There are really only 3 "cities" in Georgia, Atlanta, Macon and Savannah.

You can add Columbus and Augusta to that..

Old 06-09-2007, 01:08 AM

1 posts, read 19,378 times
Default Ca 2 Ga

Quote:
I was wondering if there is a huge difference in lifestyle between California & Georgia?

What i the weather like?

Anything interesting that you wouldn't mind sharing would be appreciated.
I was born in Huntington beach,Ca (Southern CA) and live there for 35 years.
Moved to Canton,Ga (north of alpharetta) in Jan of 2007.
I was over SOCA, Traffic, Gangs,Attitudes,Keeping up with the Jone's,child abductions,high speed pursuits, no rain, no seasons, Cost of living.fast pace of life.

I moved to Canton, to raise my 4 kids and let them grow up being kids. Here they have room to play on 2 acres. Hands down the most down to earth people I have ever meet. Very friendly. The pace of life is slow even in the bigger citys. It will take some adjustment , but I have found it has slowed me down and I dont need to be in such a rush. The weather Awesome, Here they is 4 seasons. so just when you can't take anymore of 1 season it will be time for the next one. Traffic is awesome, nothing compared to SoCA. I have much less stress driving here than CA. I drive all over Ga and leave at 5-6 am. I can be anywhere within 60 mins and home in the same time. SoCA it would be 2 hours and up. There is 5 million in the metro Atlanta area and 16 million in LA county/5 million in Orange county = 21 million all on the those crapy freeways at once, so yes LA has the worst traffic.
I'm very happy with my choice for now. Soca used to be the same way GA is now but it was 30 years ago. I would like my kids to grow up being kids.
with lots of big trees and wildlife, and some great neighbors.

I have been back to SOCA and while it has its moments, I don't miss all the headaches. SOCA is a nice place to visit but you wouldnt want to live there.

As for the food they have almost everything that SOCA has to offer. I do miss IN & OUT Burger!
Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or