U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 09:49 AM

363 posts, read 924,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
What Georgia were you living in in 2007? That's the year we moved here, and it was in the middle of the drought. While there were exceptionally high temps for a few weeks, they were normally in the low 90's tops, and very dry. Coming from NJ, it was a welcome change from the humidity that lingers all night up there.

The summers since have been slightly cooler and slightly more humid, but a "typical summer day" in Atlanta is not "90 degrees with high humidity". Per the link below, we typically have only 35 days per year with temps over 90 degrees- hardly what I'd call the "typical day".

Number of Days with Max Temperatures Equal to or Above 90°F for Selected Cities in the Southeast | Welcome - Southeast Regional Climate Center
That doesn't mean much - there are cities with higher temps and lower humidity levels. Temps don't bother me, only the humidity. Look on this forum's own page about Atlanta - elev 1050 ft //www.city-data.com/city/Atlanta-Georgia.html - about a third of the way down.

Now compare Atlanta to Chicago (elev 596 ft) on Lake Michigan; Harrisburg, PA or Birmingham, AL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 03:31 PM

11,319 posts, read 23,132,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Quite comfy ? Did you live in GA during the summer of 2007 ? Sure there may be a few pleasant days in the summer, but overall it's very humid and hot in the summer in GA and the rest of the south (outside of the mountains). A typical summer day in Atlanta is about 90 degrees with high humidity. That's not what I call comfy.
I've been here since the fall of 2004, and no, the Atlanta area is not hot at all compared to what I've experienced in Florida (hot and humid) or Arizona (just plain hot), or even SW Minnesota or South Dakota on some occasions.

Atlanta and its suburbs sit at 1000 feet. From the day trips we've taken to the central and southern parts of the state during the summer, Atlanta's altitude does make a difference.

FWIW, I didn't hold Atlanta out as having perfect weather during the summer, but I do think it's better to come down and actually see what it's like for yourself instead of looking at weather numbers and making assumptions. I was told it would be terrible before I moved down here (the folks I know who had lived here before called it Hotlanta), but while it is hotter than I was used to in the Twin Cities at times, the main thing I've noticed is that summers here are longer, not more extreme.

Just my experience over five years. Your experience and opinion might vary. We all view life (and weather) through our own subjective lenses.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:50 AM

606 posts, read 1,793,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
What Georgia were you living in in 2007? That's the year we moved here, and it was in the middle of the drought. While there were exceptionally high temps for a few weeks, they were normally in the low 90's tops, and very dry. Coming from NJ, it was a welcome change from the humidity that lingers all night up there.

The summers since have been slightly cooler and slightly more humid, but a "typical summer day" in Atlanta is not "90 degrees with high humidity". Per the link below, we typically have only 35 days per year with temps over 90 degrees- hardly what I'd call the "typical day".

Number of Days with Max Temperatures Equal to or Above 90°F for Selected Cities in the Southeast | Welcome - Southeast Regional Climate Center
The summer of 2007 was I believe the 2nd hottest summer on record in Atlanta. It peaked at 104 degrees in Atlanta and it was 103 or hotter on different days. Overall, there were 9 days in which the temperature reached 100. So, you are very inccorect when you say that the temps topped out in the low 90s in the Summer of 2007. And by the way, the average high temp in Atlanta in July and AUgust is 89, so YES a typical summer day in Atlanta is about 90 degrees with high humidity.

Last edited by matt8325; 03-08-2010 at 01:04 AM..

Old 03-08-2010, 04:00 PM

11,319 posts, read 23,132,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
The summer of 2007 was I believe the 2nd hottest summer on record in Atlanta. It peaked at 104 degrees in Atlanta and it was 103 or hotter on different days.
There were days in 2007 that were hot, that's for sure. Most years are not like 2007. But I didn't really mind that year. Sorry if that disappoints you.

Keep in mind that I'm working indoors in an air conditioned building, and I live in an air conditioned house. It's not like summers back in college in South Dakota when I rode jackhammer in the sun all day and then slept at night with a fan.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:26 AM

14 posts, read 46,661 times
To be honest, neither of you may be correct

For by the definition of "hot," do you mean actual temperature or the heat index (which in reality is what our bodies "feels")...?

If by actual temperature then YES 2007 was quite a "hot" year, but if by heat indecies then NO.

My reasoning for this is because heat index is based off humidity and temperature and in 2007 as well all know, we here in the peach state were under a severe drought which brought a lack of rain and higher temperatures. However, this drought did bring some relief in the form of lower heat indecies due to very very low summer time humidities (10-30% humidity in a GA spring/summer is crazy low).

Old 03-14-2010, 01:54 PM

363 posts, read 924,801 times
My daughter lives in NE GA and says the humidity is low there. I just spent 10 days there and found it to be the exact opposite. I need low humidity, so when I say driest area - that's what I mean, not precip.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:45 PM

171 posts, read 538,786 times
I'm from the west coast and I know what you mean about hating humidity. Regardless what everyone says, anywhere in GA is going to seem like a sauna to you. You're pretty much going to be limited from where you are in Colorado WEST not east.

The further east you go the higher the humidity. Particularly along the gulf coast and eastern seaboard. Altitude makes a huge difference, but along the east coast the tallest mountain is only around 6,000 (Mt. Washington). Even in Tennessee the smoky mountain range is only a few thousand which does relieve it from some of the humidity, but it will still be bad compared to the western US.

The driest places west of you are going to be mainly in Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico around the four corners area. Doesn't get any drier than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or