U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 08:44 AM

12 posts, read 28,380 times

Advertisements

My fiance's job search is continuing and he is going to be interviewing at Piedmont in Demorest. We are fine with the distance from Demorest to Athens and we would like some information about the town.

We are looking to buy a house and would like to know where NOT to get a house--if there's a side of town that's less desirable. If anyone knows a good real estate agent, that would be helpful as well.

We are looking to have children in the next couple years--how are the schools?

I am a playwright--how is the arts scene? What I've seen so far, it's looking pretty good.

Also, how would someone with allergies and chronic asthma fare in the area?

how is the job market looking? I am pending certified dietary management, so I could work at a hospital, a school--anywhere that has volume food service.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 07:50 AM

470 posts, read 1,349,197 times
There are some excellent schools in the area around Athens. House pricing is very good. Especially if you go outside of Athens. Madison and Oglethorpe Counties have excellent home pricing and are only 10 minutes from Athens.

While the job scene is not excellent, it has the lowest unemployment of any metro area in Georgia. Oconee County, right next door and only minutes from Athens has the lowest unemployment in the state for any county.

There are several excellent medical facilities in the area. The arts scene is pretty good around here.

I know an excellent real estate agent.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:15 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,189,016 times
Athens public schools are poor. Oconee County next door are some of the best in the state. There are several private schools but pricey. The high school drop out rate hovers between 40 and 50%. Hence the crime comment below.

I think you underestimate the commute from Athens to Demorest.

Crime is an issue in ACC. Just is. We have a large poverty rate here.

It will cost you a lot more to register your car in ACC due to ad valorem taxes.

ACC does have much underused public bus system.

I also suggest you do a search of this site for many previous posts concerning Athens. Right now there is a big "stink" going on regarding the state budget. There are proposals of cutting the university big time to the tune of some 1400 employees. No one knows if this will occur but it remains a possibility. Even a third of that would be a killer here.

But, if you come here and decide to commute, then I would recommend living in the Watkinsville area in Oconee County for the better quality of life for a family.

BTW, Athens has 5 or 6 large public housing units dispersed around the town. I highly recommend you rent first if you plan on living inside ACC. Then, spend a year examining the area for yourself. This real estate market is not going to "heal" soon anyway. Lots for rent.

Good luck.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:40 AM

From our local paper this morning:

"

More than 900 workers in the Athens metro area lost their jobs in January, increasing the January unemployment rate for Clarke, Madison, Oconee and Oglethorpe counties to 8.4 percent, the state Department of Labor said this morning."

Old 03-12-2010, 08:53 PM

13,374 posts, read 18,841,736 times
Inside the Athens Perimeter, the best area is generally south of Baxter Street and west of Milledge Avenue, and the worst area is generally north of Prince Avenue and west of North Avenue.

Outside the Athens Perimeter, the only not-so-nice area is across the north end of town, between U.S. 129 and U.S. 29.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:05 PM

12 posts, read 28,380 times
Ollie--

Okay, I think you are right about the distance. We're down thinking maybe Cornelia or Gainesville or possibly Commerce. Athens has the arts and things we want, but the distance is not something we want to deal with.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:16 PM

Cornelia would be my choice hands down of those 3. You might also check out Clarkesville. Be aware though the economy of GA is in big, big trouble. You might well consider renting for a while until you see how things are going with Piedmont College. I assume you are aware that Piedmont also has a campus here in Athens. It would be tough to get here and then find out they were going to have you work in Athens anyway. Shocker!

Best to you.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:46 PM

5 posts, read 21,507 times
stay out of clarke county!! the schools are horrible! Stick to Oconee county, the schools are far superior. Watkinsville is a GREAT town about 15 minutes from Athens. wonderful place to live!!

check out: twinoakstrailforsale.blogspot. com

Old 04-29-2010, 08:52 AM

44 posts, read 99,894 times
I only lived in Athens for three years with my husband and two sons but we found it to be a nice place to live. ( My husband 's company relocated us to another state so we had to move.) We lived in the East Side of town in a newer subdivision off Whit Davis Road. We never had any problems and had great neighbors. That's not to say that there was no crime in Athens because there is always someone committing a crime somewhere. We just never experienced it there. There are housing projects in different areas of the city and the poverty is great, but I have lived in several states and in general all cities seem to have good areas, bad areas, and really nice areas. You just have to find the right area for you. There are so many nice things to say about Athens as well. There were nice parks, lots of activities for our children and decent shopping and restaurants. Everything seems to revolve around the University as that is the big draw there I suppose. I would agree that the school district doesn't rate well, ( Georgia schools in general rank near the bottom nationally)but we found Whit Davis elementary to be a good school with lots of dedicated teachers and staff. This is my experience living in Athens. I'm glad I had it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or