U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 08:35 AM

3 posts, read 13,625 times

Advertisements

Hi! Me and my soon-to-be husband currently live in Athens, GA and are looking at different places to move. We both love a lot of things about Athens, but for certain reasons, don't want to stay here.

The things we love about Athens/want in a new town are:
-within 30 minutes of lots of outdoor activities (hiking, camping, etc.)
-the art/creative community
-i like the music scene
-there are a lot of young couples just out of college
-health-conscious (a lot of people live very simply in Athens)
-low-cost housing
-there aren't many restaurant chains, etc. (especially in the downtown area)

So, those are the things that are really important to us. We've visited Roanoke, VA and it didn't really fit us very well. And we, maybe want to get even farther away than that - which cuts out Asheville and all the cool towns in North Carolina.

As for the climate, he wants sun, but I like rain. Ha. Preferably just no extreme in either direction - no humid 120 degree summers (like Georgia) and no -30 degree snows-8-months-of-the-year winters

Help us out??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 10:08 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,202,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflauren View Post
Hi! Me and my soon-to-be husband currently live in Athens, GA and are looking at different places to move. We both love a lot of things about Athens, but for certain reasons, don't want to stay here.

The things we love about Athens/want in a new town are:
-within 30 minutes of lots of outdoor activities (hiking, camping, etc.)
-the art/creative community
-i like the music scene
-there are a lot of young couples just out of college
-health-conscious (a lot of people live very simply in Athens)
-low-cost housing
-there aren't many restaurant chains, etc. (especially in the downtown area)

So, those are the things that are really important to us. We've visited Roanoke, VA and it didn't really fit us very well. And we, maybe want to get even farther away than that - which cuts out Asheville and all the cool towns in North Carolina.

As for the climate, he wants sun, but I like rain. Ha. Preferably just no extreme in either direction - no humid 120 degree summers (like Georgia) and no -30 degree snows-8-months-of-the-year winters

Help us out??
I get the feeling the answer is going to be in a college town of similar population. One place I can think of is Columbia, MO. Any farther North and the Cold starts being an issue and the heat might be the biggest factor since summers are not much different. Other places might also be Lawrence and Manhattan Kansas.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:31 AM

23,120 posts, read 36,831,875 times
The town that I most often hear Athens compared to is Boulder, CO. I would also consider Bend, OR and Berkeley, CA.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:32 PM

470 posts, read 1,351,984 times
Try Corvalis, Eugene or Portland Oregon. It actually rains more here than there, especially the Portland area. Forest Grove, right outside of Portland, is a terrific little town. Very low humidity and it's green all year up there. Plenty of outdoor and indoor activities all year long.

If you need a good realtor in the area, I know several.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:43 PM

14 posts, read 36,614 times
Asheville, NC

Old 06-22-2011, 12:56 PM

69 posts, read 148,471 times
This is an old thread, but Lawrence, KS would fit. 30 minutes to Kansas City (big city). But Lawrence is packed with independent restaurants, home to KU, healthy living, inexpensive overall, great community events and music. Also fits the more liberal feel of Athens. Oh and lower crime than many places.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:45 PM

9 posts, read 21,521 times
Springfield, MA is very nice and very similar to Athens! Hope this helps!

Old 06-23-2011, 07:32 AM

62 posts, read 192,631 times
I am late to the post but just wanted to add my selection for posterity. Especially since many people are using the site for research on moving.

Town of Blacksburg, VA : Home

Oxford, Mississippi

Old 07-07-2011, 04:45 PM

10 posts, read 23,197 times
Lauren,

I'm new to the forum and am looking for similar advice on relocating as my wife and I are considering a smaller town in southwestern Va or perhaps the Raleigh, NC area. We currently live in Northern VA and don't "need" to move but "want" to move.

We have similar interests as you have listed and think that Blacksburg or neighboring towns would be the best fit.

My wife is more familiar with Blacksburg than I am as she went to college there (VA Tech). Her parents moved down there about 9 years ago so we visit them a number of times during the year. From what I've seen of it: it's the biggest town in VA, college-town, local favorites as far as bars and restaurants (Macado's, Cabo Fish Taco, Mike's burgers, Dude's, Hokie House, etcetera. There are some chain restuarants, typical Hardee's but they have Chipotle too. They don't go overboard with commerical/chain stuff in this town, which makes it unique. The town caters to more small business owners as the way it should be.

There is an old movie theatre "the Lyric", clubs, shopping - specialty stores (as there is no Mall), wine/beer cellar, farmers markets, the university itself boasts sporting events, music, arts). Roanoke is roughly 40 minutes away which holds concerts and an airport.

I've looked at real estate listings and you can buy a single family home with land for a decent price.....practically half of what you'd pay up in NOVA. Everything seems spread out too which is nice.

Not much in the way of traffic either.....big plus!

Plenty of outdoor activities/country but yet you have Downtown (civilization)....best of both worlds.

I'd be curious to know what you decide on. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or