Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 08:05 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times

Advertisements

It's called a single-point urban interchange! Start building some!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 01:34 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Great idea. C'mon GDOT. Let's get moving!

Old 03-17-2010, 08:47 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,518,026 times
Actually that is not a new type of intersection, it has been around at least 20 years and there are some on the expressway segment of Peachtree Industrial. If you want a new type look up diverging diamond intersection for something different, and GDOT is actually looking into that type in Gwinnett County at the Jimmy Carter and Pleasant Hill Road exits since it can be built without widening the bridges there.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:09 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
Actually that is not a new type of intersection, it has been around at least 20 years and there are some on the expressway segment of Peachtree Industrial. If you want a new type look up diverging diamond intersection for something different, and GDOT is actually looking into that type in Gwinnett County at the Jimmy Carter and Pleasant Hill Road exits since it can be built without widening the bridges there.
I believe the very first one in use in the U.S. is in Missouri. I read an article (I believe it was in USA Today) not too long ago about it.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:29 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
The GA 400-Lenox Rd. interchange is a SPUI. They're more expensive, but they're quite a bit more efficient at moving traffic than traditional diamond interchanges, and they don't take up near as much space as parclos do.

Personally, I'd love to see more of them. I know Sandy Springs is trying to figure out what to do with its congested Roswell Rd.-285 bridge, and I think they should at least consider a SPUI. I have no idea how they'll physically get one in or justify its cost, however.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:04 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,518,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
The GA 400-Lenox Rd. interchange is a SPUI. They're more expensive, but they're quite a bit more efficient at moving traffic than traditional diamond interchanges, and they don't take up near as much space as parclos do.

Personally, I'd love to see more of them. I know Sandy Springs is trying to figure out what to do with its congested Roswell Rd.-285 bridge, and I think they should at least consider a SPUI. I have no idea how they'll physically get one in or justify its cost, however.
I wouldn't be surprised if a diverging diamond is studied as one too since they generally don't take up additional room and won't have to widen the bridge either.

I also forgot the one SPUI interchange there, I think that's the only one in the area.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:16 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,801 times
Gwinnett County just built an SPUI on the latest addition of Sugarloaf Parkway in eastern Lawrenceville.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:34 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
It's called a single-point urban interchange! Start building some!
There's at least one of those on the I-494 stretch in Bloomington MN by the Mall of America, and it seems to work rather well.

I'd rather see more roundabouts in Georgia replacing stop signs and/or traffic lights. Those were one of the more things I remember from driving in the UK.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:06 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I'd rather see more roundabouts in Georgia replacing stop signs and/or traffic lights.
NOOOOoooooooo. Having lived in New England where "rotaries" are rampant, I can tell you that they are NOT a benefit to traffic, and cause delays. I used to sit in traffic at the one in Concord, MA daily for years. In fact, a famous rotary on Cape Cod at the Sagamore Bridge was recently removed to allow better traffic flow. The backups on summer weekends at that rotary were legendary.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...gamore_rotary/

Old 03-23-2010, 11:08 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
NOOOOoooooooo. Having lived in New England where "rotaries" are rampant, I can tell you that they are NOT a benefit to traffic, and cause delays. I used to sit in traffic at the one in Concord, MA daily for years. In fact, a famous rotary on Cape Cod at the Sagamore Bridge was recently removed to allow better traffic flow. The backups on summer weekends at that rotary were legendary.

Boston.com / News / Local / Mass. / State OK's removal of Sagamore rotary
Must depend on traffic patterns. The Twin Cities are installing some here and there, and they seem to have improved traffic according to the locals I talk to.

It's funny ... I had the same reaction you did when I found out that Atlanta was starting to install meter lights at the entrance ramps. I spent 20 years dealing with those things up there, and sometimes I wished I had a shotgun so I could shoot them and be on my way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia