U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 02:35 PM

276 posts, read 1,043,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rox011 View Post
HI
I live in Miami FL and just got back from GA. We decided to bit the bullet and leave Miami for a nice quite neighboorhood. We chose Auburn Ga near Buford. The realtor that healped us was excellent. Let me know if you have any questions.
So what do you think of the area? I am in Naples FL and considering making a move to GA soon...Still wresteling with the idea but would like to make a trip up soon to check it out for myself. My husband loves it there, I on the other hand have never been. I am looking into Cumming(forsyth) and Alphabetta(Fulton) any areas you might suggest far enough away from South Georgia(I have been told not to go there that it is bad during hurricane season(worse than were I am now)Schools and church is very important to us and also friendly people without judgements of northerns who relocate(we are origionally from MA and NH) ..Thanks for sharing..Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 02:41 PM

276 posts, read 1,043,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom4 View Post
I love Madison
What part of GA is Madison in? I am considering relocating to GA with my husband and kids( 11 and 19) from SWFL...to high here...Am totally "green" when it comes to all the different areas of GA and counties. We need a place that we will feel welcome, safe and that have good schools and active community as well as church availability(Non denominational Christain) or AOG. We are former Granite staters(NH) and love the deep south and would love to continue raising our family in a a quiet smaller city or town...Thanks in advance too any and all who read and reply...Lisa

Old 03-07-2011, 07:50 AM

12 posts, read 21,292 times
Default speaking of GA....

I am actually interested in moving to georgia as well, but I am coming from upstate NY. If for nothing else, the weather! I am snowed in with drifts that have buried my car as we speak.
So I am looking for a slow paced way of living, a little warmer, a lot sunnier, and how about friendly!?!?!?!...but practically speaking, with jobs, too!Have to pay those bills.
How common are massage therapists in GA? How about union carpenters? Is there "horse country" in parts of GA? How are taxes? These questions seem random, I know, but they basically make up very important aspects of my life and would ultimately help me decide where to move.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:04 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,175,982 times
KEEP YOUR JOB!!!! Yes, I all capped that. Oddly, people who have jobs do not seem to realize how many unemployed people there are out here. Perhaps you have some sort of occupation that is in demand everywhere. I cannot imagine what that would be. I live in Athens, GA which, if you search this site, seems to be a great favorite among folks. Personally, I am not so sure about that.

I could make some suggestions, but without knowing what you do, want to do etc, it is tough to make a recommendation.

Personally, I like Amelia Island, FL; St. Augustine, FL.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:20 PM

12 posts, read 21,292 times
I was asking about massage therapists and carpenters because that's what we do lol

I am also a vet technician.

That's why I was asking about those occupations.

It's not that I don't realize how bad things are or how high unemployment is. I thank God every day I am working but we are struggling bad too. And NYS taxes are unheard of. So We are looking around other areas where we would consider living. I love the idea of being South so that's why I asked.

Thanks for your response though.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:15 PM

132 posts, read 231,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosgirl17 View Post
I am actually interested in moving to georgia as well, but I am coming from upstate NY. If for nothing else, the weather! I am snowed in with drifts that have buried my car as we speak.
So I am looking for a slow paced way of living, a little warmer, a lot sunnier, and how about friendly!?!?!?!...but practically speaking, with jobs, too!Have to pay those bills.
How common are massage therapists in GA? How about union carpenters? Is there "horse country" in parts of GA? How are taxes? These questions seem random, I know, but they basically make up very important aspects of my life and would ultimately help me decide where to move.
Georgia sounds like a great place for you to be considering! Massage therapists are just as common in Atlanta as in any other city I would think..I have certainly not noticed a shortage.

As for horses, I have seen many farms and stables; below are a few links that you can check out listing some of them. The overwhelming majority are in North Georgia, some even in the mountains.

Also, you will most likely find cost of living here to be much cheaper than NY, depending I suppose on where exactly you are thinking of moving. Good Luck!!
Horse Farms in Georgia

http://georgia.uscity.net/Horse/Horse_Stables/

Old 03-28-2011, 06:19 PM

I would think you'd be better off to look at Huntsville, AL. It has a lot of government work there and the economy is more stable. Same with Augusta, GA. I would advise you to give those two places a good look.

There are endless numbers of "handymen" in our region. There are no unions and no real licensing of carpenters as there is for heating and air or plumbers. Life is just different here.

Probably the cheapest way to visit is to purchase a camping trailer. There are some good buys but you have to have a vehicle to tow them.

Things are simply tight everywhere.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:38 AM

16,719 posts, read 15,639,568 times
There are no unions for heating & air, where did that come from?

Old 04-02-2011, 08:34 AM

5,882 posts, read 4,340,980 times
I live in Gainesville. A lot of people complain about it, but I love it. It's a medium size city with plenty of shopping, we're about an hour from Dahlonega and the mountains, about an hour from Atlanta, we're close to the Mall of GA, and the Premium Outlets in Dawsonville. The economy here is decent and it's not too expensive either.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:41 PM

Emphasis is on "no licensing" of carpenters etc. Plumbers and heat/air are supposed to hold licenses for business. Handy men all over the place with no way to really verify any skills other than word of mouth. Unions are a separate issue. Hope this clears it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or