U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 08:23 PM

38 posts, read 133,003 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are retiring soon and considering moving to the Greenville/Anderson, SC area or the Athens area. It's a big difference in geography, but all three have some sort of university and the associated activities we like to enjoy: arts, theater, symphony, etc.

We live in Birmingham, where I teach at the university and my wife is an RN. We prefer a condo or patio home.

We would appreciate suggestions about housing, neighborhoods, and medical facilities. I know I'm not being very specific, but I'd like to cull what I can from a wide variety of responses.

Many thanks

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 07:44 AM

3 posts, read 14,082 times
Default Moving to Athens area

We currently live in the Watkinsville/Bogart area and have lived here for 15 years. We love it here and been very pleased with the school system. Our children's ages are 21, 18, and 12. Anywhere in Watkinsville or Bogart area would be a great place to live as long as the address is Oconee County. Bogart is very small and has a small housing market. The better neighborhood selection would have Watkinsville addresses. The subdivision we live in is on the edge of Watkinsville with close access to the highway that goes to Atlanta. It's a great family neighborhood with a pool and tons of children. Let me know if I can answer any questions!~

Old 02-22-2008, 05:01 PM

13 posts, read 73,582 times
Smile athens and teaching salary

Hi!
Well, I am in my late 30's. I live in Akron Ohio. But Im over it!

Considering a move to Athens or right around there. I heard Athens is pretty blue....

So, Ive been teaching, 14 years??? Make an awesome northern wage. So scared to jump away from it. Any idea on school districts around there that pay well?

I have a masters, should I consider the universities?

Oh, and Im single with no kids.......

Any advice?
THANKS in advance!

Old 02-23-2008, 07:00 AM

101 posts, read 318,017 times
Well, if you are getting your Master's, Athens is a great place to be. The town is basically supported by the University of Georgia.

I'm a little biased. I spent 5 years in Athens while I was at UGA. I think it is the most amazing place ever. I had to leave though; I felt like if I found a job there and stayed, I'd never grow up!

Old 02-24-2008, 02:16 PM

13 posts, read 73,582 times
Default pay

No, I have my degree already.... Just looking for a new place to live and wondering about the pay.....

PS. We should never grow up alll the way!

Old 02-24-2008, 03:42 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,660,516 times
Athens is simply awesome.. A great place to live if you are young or young at heart.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:07 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,187,313 times
Default Athens-Clarke County

I live in Athens. Unless you are a professional e.g. physician, top tier lawyer or top tier university professor, wages are relatively low. Of course the real estate market here is in down turn so you can possibly buy something on the cheap. The local school system is in crisis with a high school dropout rate (publicized) that has a 50 % +/- dropout rate. The dropouts stay here and so we have crime issues that are also growing. I for one NEVER blame teachers. We simply have "families" who don't have much control over their children and who have no clue about education etc.

However, the university with 32,000 students keeps the economy on a relatively even keel. Those seeking good schools and a more bucolic lifestyle and who make decent money opt to live in Oconee County next door. However, ACC has a professional fire department while Oconee has a volunteer one. Both medical centers are in Athens.

If schools are not a big issue and you prefer ACC, then Winterville would be my choice. It is a village inside of ACC. We have a unified county/city government less Winterville. There are 5 private schools in the area including secular and religious ones.

Everyone wants to live in OZ but Athens has its own set of problems like everywhere else. We have some big city problems in a smaller community. Just the way it is. It will cost you more to live in ACC given ad valorem taxes on vehicles.

BTW, we are having a bad drought situation with zero outside watering. This might change a bit, but so far we are a long way from being out of drought.

My son, 25, wants to get out of Athens as soon as he can. Taste.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:15 AM

2 posts, read 5,454 times
Default Oconee County is where the better schools are

My husband and I visited Athens area multiple times. We looked for a smaller one level home that we could relocate to from Maryland. We were told that Oconee County had the better school system and that it would be easier to sell our home in the future if we chose to move on.

Oconnee county also has restrictions on building and they have very little industry. Money Magazine listed it as one of the top ten counties with the cleanest air quality.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:50 PM

22 posts, read 77,543 times
Athens is a nice place. It's a college town, though, which can be good or bad, depending on your perspective. I think the kids bring a lot of vitality to the place. There are a lot of good restaurants and housing is pretty affordable. Moderator cut: URL removed

Last edited by Marka; 04-02-2008 at 10:31 AM..

Old 03-04-2008, 07:00 AM

11 posts, read 45,341 times
Default I live in Bogart too

I also have a 10 year old son in 5th grade......in the school across from your neighborhood. Email me, maybe we know each other or at least SHOULD!

A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or