Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2015, 02:19 PM

22 posts, read 38,704 times

Advertisements

In the North or North West GA, I am wanting to know where is the best spot to raise a family? We, as in my family. MY husband will be looking for work in factory while I will be looking for work with the developmentally disabled. That said, we are low income. We want rural but within driving distance to work. Where should we look for factory work, yet have the mountains and parks and such. We also homeschool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 05:54 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
Hey GingerBarber, I see you're in Rochester, New York. I have ties to all areas involved. I've got family in Rochester, Rome (Northwest GA), and I lived in Huntsville while going to college. Personally, I'd choose a rural area near Huntsville. It has the most to offer.

I'm not sure how "rural" these places still are, since it's been about 10 years since I lived in Huntsville, but popular places on the outskirts that were still rural were Toney, Alabama and Harvest, Alabama. I'd look into places like those.

Rome or surrounding smaller towns wouldn't be so bad either, but I'd go with a small town near Huntsville if I were you.

Guntersville, Alabama and Albertville, Alabama may be 2 other places to look into near Huntsville. Not only would you have the mountains but Lake Guntersville as well if your family enjoys the amenities it provides.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 08-07-2015 at 06:06 PM..

Old 08-12-2015, 11:07 PM

4 posts, read 4,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
Hey GingerBarber, I see you're in Rochester, New York. I have ties to all areas involved. I've got family in Rochester, Rome (Northwest GA), and I lived in Huntsville while going to college. Personally, I'd choose a rural area near Huntsville. It has the most to offer.

I'm not sure how "rural" these places still are, since it's been about 10 years since I lived in Huntsville, but popular places on the outskirts that were still rural were Toney, Alabama and Harvest, Alabama. I'd look into places like those.

Rome or surrounding smaller towns wouldn't be so bad either, but I'd go with a small town near Huntsville if I were you.

Guntersville, Alabama and Albertville, Alabama may be 2 other places to look into near Huntsville. Not only would you have the mountains but Lake Guntersville as well if your family enjoys the amenities it provides.
All good advice. I currently live in HSV and have been for about 10 years.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:02 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
Huntsville is better than Northwest Georgia. Northwest Georgia has a problem with meth, crime, and lack of employment. Huntsville, on the other hand, is booming. Good luck.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:02 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
It's also possible to live in NW Georgia and work in Chattanooga.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:39 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It's also possible to live in NW Georgia and work in Chattanooga.
Yes, it is, but getting in and out of Chattanooga during rush hour is a nightmare.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:07 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Just a thought...

First and foremost check the job listings in both areas....

Hunstville is a nicer/newer city and I would recommend it, but it has grown mostly from wealthier jobs in the aerospace industry thanks to NASA. It might not have the amount of manufacturing jobs and the growth trends might leave housing options to be more expensive in parts.

That being said... if you see good job options and good prices housing near Huntsville, I'd take that.

Northwest Georgia is more industrious and its success if mostly tied to the carpet industry, which has slipped in recent years. There are surely more manufacturing jobs, but a good many people lost work in that area leading into the recession. There are less wealth in the communities overall, because it is primarily a manufacturing area. However, that is also what you are looking for.

There are pros and cons to this. One can get you into an more affluent area where you might get some benefits of being near wealthier people, but might also face some higher costs and will likely have a lower income for the area. The other area is more industrious and you will fit into the area easier, but the area won't have affluence to it.

Either way, you need to be aware of job availability first.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerBarber View Post
In the North or North West GA, I am wanting to know where is the best spot to raise a family? We, as in my family. MY husband will be looking for work in factory while I will be looking for work with the developmentally disabled. That said, we are low income. We want rural but within driving distance to work. Where should we look for factory work, yet have the mountains and parks and such. We also homeschool.
Just a thought... Have you considered any of the new auto factories that are poppping up across the south?

There is a few in South Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama, and one in West Point, GA. It isn't exactly Huntsville or NW Georgia, but they aren't far off and they are relatively new with better quality manufacturing based jobs.

Would this be of any interest?

Old 08-24-2015, 01:34 PM

22 posts, read 38,704 times
Thanks,
yes first and foremost is work opportunities. My husband would definitely want to jump into the automotive field if possible since that is where he is currently working. He makes stabilizer bars. We no longer live in NY. We are in KY. Huntsville keeps coming back up in conversations, especially after our travel to Dalton, GA. We fell in love with the area due to the mountains and such, but after doing a bit of research, it makes me nervous to see a town depending on almost one stream of income. That said, when I was in Dalton, I did see things being built.

I appreciate everyone taking their time to answer me. If the area does not have good manufacturing jobs, it is a place we cannot live. I personally will be working in the special needs field if/when I find a job. I assume Huntsville will have jobs in that field, as will Rome, GA?

Old 08-24-2015, 01:48 PM

Look into the following:

Kia: West Point, GA. It is a large final assembly plant at the Georgia/Alabama border along I-85

Nissan: Smyrna, TN. It is a large assembly plant right in the Nashville, TN metro area

Volkswagon: Chattanooga, TN. Another assembly plant

Hyndai: Montgomery, Alabama. A large assembly plant in the middle of Alabama.

BMW: Greer, SC. A large assembly plant along I-85.

Mercedes: Vance, AL. An assembly plant midway between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa.

Daimler Vand: Ladscon, SC. A van assmbly plant just outside of Charleston.

There are others, but I was just highlighting the large ones within relative proximity just outside the North Georgia/Alabama region.

My two cents... I would focus on finding jobs at plants closer or just outside larger cities. If those jobs don't pan out, it is always good to be able to find one elsewhere and keep your current home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia