U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 02:15 PM

7 posts, read 20,402 times

Advertisements

I don't think tijlover was talking about Ga. I think they were talking futher down South! Different Country, but when people from the South take that personally - makes me wish I were from futher up North! Hey there is nothing wrong with asking exactly what people mean- But don't jump-out on a ledge when there is not one there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 02:36 PM

52,917 posts, read 48,339,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Where are the entrepreneurs?

In Central America they use our old school buses to transport people around the cities and country, and if that's too pricey for you, you can go down one more rung in the ladder, and ride in the backs of pick-ups with bars in the back to hold on to during your ride.

The Hispanic's grew up with this type of mass transit. Perhaps it will be the entrepreneurial Hispanic's who will duplicate these cheap services up here in our country.

And vendors hopping on and off the buses, along the way, to sell you everything from fried chicken to toiletries.

It couldn't come soon enough, scrap the public transit systems, and let the entrepreneurs take over.
In the USA, you have to have special permits to operate buses and such. In Central America, such restrictions don't exist. Furthermore, what are the chances of someone in the USA randomly picking up strangers and dropping them off in other places? Not very good. Alot of people don't trust strangers, and hitchhiking in the USA is not allowed(although some people will do it). Here is the solution: Either improve the mass transit in Georgia, or make it easier for people to operate buses and make hitchhiking legal.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
MARTA works just fine for me.

Trains every 10 minutes or so.

Bus passes in front of my house every 15 minutes.
MARTA doesn't go out to Cobb County, or Gwinnett County. It needs to be expanded out there. Personally, I wish Barnes had stayed governor of Georgia. The transit system in metro Atlanta would have been better. Perdue, on the other hand, has admitted he would not support MARTA. I didn't vote for Perdue. I was too young to vote when Perdue was elected governor. When I did get a chance to vote, I voted against Perdue. He is still governor.
The transit system in metro Atlanta is not a very good one in my opinion. It isn't efficient. If this metro area is suppose to be a world class city, why not have world class mass
transit? The Olympics were held here, and yet, mass transit isn't efficient.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:08 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,553,548 times
MARTA was one of the MAIN reasons we got the Olympics.

The rail system routinely transported in excess of a million riders a day during the Games. It is built for that type of capacity, and performed extremely well. For anyone that was here to remember, rush hour traffic during the Olympics was practically a non-issue.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:23 AM

7,862 posts, read 15,279,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
MARTA doesn't go out to Cobb County, or Gwinnett County. It needs to be expanded out there. Personally, I wish Barnes had stayed governor of Georgia. The transit system in metro Atlanta would have been better.
OK...maybe you're correct, but what FACTS do you have to make this point? This is your opinion and you offer nothing factual to substantiate it.

Extending MARTA to another county like Cobb would require a referendum and a majority of the voters. What could Barnes do to influence that vote? Why didn't he do it during his 4 years in office?

I get a little tired of reading all the great things Barnes could've done or will do, but what happened during his actual term in office? Why didn't he get all these great things done while he had a Democrat majority in both houses?

Old 04-22-2010, 09:26 AM

5,766 posts, read 4,674,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
Not only do a lot of county's not have public transportation ( I am not speaking about taxi, nobody is going to take the taxi every day, let's be realistic) but the ones that do are useless. Some only pass by every hour or so, some like in Clayton County, C Tran is shutting down so these people have to quit their jobs.
If Concept 3 by Georgia's Transit Planning Board were implemented in full, then this would almost become a non-issue.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
OK...maybe you're correct, but what FACTS do you have to make this point? This is your opinion and you offer nothing factual to substantiate it.

Extending MARTA to another county like Cobb would require a referendum and a majority of the voters. What could Barnes do to influence that vote? Why didn't he do it during his 4 years in office?

I get a little tired of reading all the great things Barnes could've done or will do, but what happened during his actual term in office? Why didn't he get all these great things done while he had a Democrat majority in both houses?
His plan was to take over the whole thing.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:20 AM

7,862 posts, read 15,279,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
His plan was to take over the whole thing.
OK, so if he and the Democrats are so much better at transit and all things, why didn't he "take over the whole thing" and make it all better? We could have trains in Cobb, Gwinnett, and Clayton, and the whole Atlanta area could be enjoying no traffic or anything like the current "mess" we find ourselves in because of the evil Republican "bubba" politicians like Perdue.

Does anyone get my point? Blaming all over troubles over water, transportation, or <insert issue here> on Perdue, while claiming Barnes would do such a better job, is just ridiculous. People need to check their blinding political biases at the door and see things a bit more realistically.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:48 AM

3,534 posts, read 4,417,493 times
Actually what you are saying is pretty much in line with true non-government intervention-style free markets. Of course though your concept would really fast-track the U.S.A's regression towards 3rd-world serfdom. But I guarantee you that many of the so-called "less-government" advocating southern conservatives would despise that outcome.

What I have learned in my 30 plus years of life on this planet is that a little bit of interventionist government is okay...as long the other guy doesn't benefit from it.

It's a hypocritical POV, but one that is doggone near embedded in mainstream American culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Where are the entrepreneurs?

In Central America they use our old school buses to transport people around the cities and country, and if that's too pricey for you, you can go down one more rung in the ladder, and ride in the backs of pick-ups with bars in the back to hold on to during your ride.

The Hispanic's grew up with this type of mass transit. Perhaps it will be the entrepreneurial Hispanic's who will duplicate these cheap services up here in our country.

And vendors hopping on and off the buses, along the way, to sell you everything from fried chicken to toiletries.

It couldn't come soon enough, scrap the public transit systems, and let the entrepreneurs take over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or