Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 19,128 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm new here and only a teenager. I am planning my future and trying to find a city to live in in the future. I plan on being a teacher, and Georgia has the third highest salary comfort index in the country for teachers (they get paid very well compared to the cost of living). Also, they have a very warm climate, and not very many natural disasters. Also, they are on the coast, something else very important to me. All these things have led me to believe Georgia would be a good place for me to live. I would like to live very close to a beach in order to have daily access to swimming, surfing, etc. I have decided to eat all natural and think it would be very important to have a whole foods grocery store near me. Is there a city in Georgia that is near a beach, has a whole foods, and is reasonably priced (remember I'm a teacher so my salary won't be very high)? I'm willing to live in a modest apartment in order to get my other wishes.

Last edited by jmc21623; 04-01-2010 at 08:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 08:34 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,395,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc21623 View Post
Hello, I'm new here and only a teenager. I am planning my future and trying to find a city to live in in the future. I plan on being a teacher, and Georgia has the third highest salary comfort index in the country for teachers (they get paid very well compared to the cost of living). Also, they have a very warm climate, and not very many natural disasters. Also, they are on the coast, something else very important to me. All these things have led me to believe Georgia would be a good place for me to live. I would like to live very close to a beach in order to have daily access to swimming, surfing, etc. I have decided to eat all natural and think it would be very important to have a whole foods grocery store near me. Is there a city in Georgia that is near a beach, has a whole foods, and is reasonably priced (remember I'm a teacher so my salary won't be very high)? I'm willing to live in a modest apartment in order to get my other wishes.
I'm not certain that your FYI is completely accurate.

There are deep budget cuts across the state in Education. Furloughs, reduction in staff, increase in student-teacher ratio and the elimination of many programs are the reality at present.

Georgia has a moderate climate overall and it is warmer in the south, near the coast of the Atlantic Ocean than in the northern part of the state, near the Blue Ridge mountains.

The waves on the Atlantic coast are not generally large enough for much surfing.

I'm fairly certain that Savannah, GA would have a whole foods/health foods store and might be a place to research.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:42 AM

23,298 posts, read 43,744,365 times
There are really only two cities in GA that have convenient beach access: Savannah (Tybee Island) and Brunswick (St Simons and Jekyll Islands). Savannah is by far the larger of the two.
TakeAHike is right about the surf on the GA coastline...it's called a 'low energy' coastline because the coastal shelf (called the Georgia Bight) extends so far out into the sea.
Sorry, but the only Whole Foods stores in GA are located in the Atlanta area. I'm sure that both cities offer organic alternatives.

Georgia Green Businesses

Here are the websites for their respective school systems:

Savannah-Chatham County, Georgia Public Schools

Welcome to Glynn County Schools > Glynn County Home

Old 05-16-2010, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 18,709 times
Hi, My husband and I are seriously considering relocating to Brunswick, Georgia. I currently am a school social worker in the Chicagoland area and would like to know what the state of education is in Georgia at this time. One of the posts above mentioned massive budget cuts. Am I being foolish in thinking I'd be able to get a position as a school social worker in Brunswick at this time? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:03 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,395,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judyewiggins49 View Post
Hi, My husband and I are seriously considering relocating to Brunswick, Georgia. I currently am a school social worker in the Chicagoland area and would like to know what the state of education is in Georgia at this time. One of the posts above mentioned massive budget cuts. Am I being foolish in thinking I'd be able to get a position as a school social worker in Brunswick at this time? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
It's going to be pretty much 'back to basics'--so, yes, the chances are slim to none that you could find a School Social Worker position in Brunswick.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:27 PM

7 posts, read 47,831 times
ST mary's is a lovely coastal town.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:31 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,007,446 times
Brunswick is a nice small city and cheaper than Savannah... Brunswick is gaining steam on Athens and Valdosta IMO...

Old 08-03-2010, 08:13 PM

726 posts, read 3,589,451 times
In Savannah there is no Whole Foods but there is a Fresh Market

Brighter Days Natural Foods, Savannah, GA

Georgia Organics

Heritage Organic Farms

The Forsyth Farmer's Market | Savannah, Georgia

SoGreen Network ~ "Making the Change to Green"

Cha-Bella

Old 08-06-2010, 08:59 PM

58 posts, read 184,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judyewiggins49 View Post
DO NOT tell them you're from Chicago because they don't like foreigners unless they are tourists, plus you'll be categorized as an Obama-loving bleeding heart liberal. You better join "the right" church too, else you'll be handicapped job wise. If you get a job, don't bother mentioning "how we did it at my old job" or implementing new ideas. Yes, that's the way it is. Take it or leave it.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:07 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,940,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Saw View Post
DO NOT tell them you're from Chicago because they don't like foreigners unless they are tourists, plus you'll be categorized as an Obama-loving bleeding heart liberal. You better join "the right" church too, else you'll be handicapped job wise. If you get a job, don't bother mentioning "how we did it at my old job" or implementing new ideas. Yes, that's the way it is. Take it or leave it.
What a bunch of crap. Stereotype much? Anyway, before the recession hit, the state of Georgia was looking at a teacher shortfall of around 14k by 2012. It seems that the state has been forced to crunch numbers and expand classroom sizes in order to fill the tax income gaps. That being said, this puts Georgia in a good place to hire teachers should we recover in the next couple of years. Also, watch the governor's race here. If Roy Barnes (D) wins, education will become a major priority and hiring may start sooner. If Handel (R) or Deal (R) win, the cuts will probably continue for a while. Ignore "Bone Saw"'s jaded responses. He is probably part of the reason why some natives are hostile to outsiders. 90% of us would love to have you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia