U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:00 AM

31 posts, read 87,074 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are tired of the "progressive" life and have started to move forward with a more Self Sufficient life. The first step is moving back to the country. We visited Blue Ridge (as suggested by a friend) and fell in love with the area. My biggest concern is that a realtor told us it was an "up and coming town". We're trying to get away from that. Does anyone have any insight into the growth of the town?

I also heard from a local that they voted Wal-Mart out; that seems like a great step in the right direction of keeping it country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 07:14 AM

23,120 posts, read 36,732,222 times
Blue Ridge is locally known as a retirement mecca and really has no more tourist traffic than most north GA communities; that is to say, it has its' share. The presence of Atlanta and the area's popularity with Floridians has accelerated the pace of development, so if you are put off by that I wouldn't recommend it. Many of the old-time residents of north GA and western NC have moved out for this reason, many relocating to areas such as western VA, upland SC or extreme northeastern TN.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:35 AM

31 posts, read 87,074 times
Thanks for the post. We've looked in some of the areas you've mentioned just haven't been able to settle on anything. It seems as though small town USA is gone. Any suggestions on towns where the growth is minimal?

Old 04-08-2010, 06:11 PM

150 posts, read 427,020 times
Michelle I understand what you mean by "keeping it country" and I can assure you Blue Ridge no longer fits that mold. The weekend warriors from Atlanta and the Floridians don't actually want Blue Ridge to remain country. I'm afraid most of North Georgia no longer has a country feel to it. Its just a place for people to buy, then rent Motels better known as "cabins" and make a quick buck. Blue Ridge was once a town with character and hard working full time residents. Now its a place that the weekend city folks consider a "up and coming town" as your Realtor tried to swoon you with.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:24 AM

1,352 posts, read 3,964,593 times
minimal (or negative) growth, self sufficiency, hardcore country people (whatever that means to you), absolutely nothing for miles...

you are looking in the wrong place. you are supposed to go south, not north. look under macon, not north of atlanta.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:35 AM

23,120 posts, read 36,732,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
minimal (or negative) growth, self sufficiency, hardcore country people (whatever that means to you), absolutely nothing for miles...

you are looking in the wrong place. you are supposed to go south, not north. look under macon, not north of atlanta.
Actually not a bad suggestion, considering that the OP wants to avoid the encroachment of future development.
But, if your heart is set on a mountain locale, here are my suggestions:

Bristol, TN/VA
Johnson City, TN
Galax, VA
Harrisonburg, VA
Any of the Shenandoah Valley, VA communities

Here's an article on author Jan Karon, a former longtime resident of Blowing Rock, NC. She was so put off by the influx of tourists and new residents there that she 'ran for the hills'; the 'hills' in this case were located in bucolic Albemarle County, VA.

USATODAY.com - Jan Karon finds redemption in rural Virginia

Old 04-09-2010, 03:50 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,189,016 times
I agree with CityRover. I tried Towns County on for size for 2 years and could not wait to get out. It was a huge mistake on my part. Small town USA still exists in some South Georgia towns. I would look at Moultrie, Douglas, Metter, Thomasville, Bainbridge, Fitzgerald to name a few. If you want to live more from the land, flat land is best by far. Flat land i.e. usable land, in the mountains is pricey. The mountains were just too hard to deal with in more than a few ways. Almost got claustrophobic at times.

Good luck with your search.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:26 PM

4 posts, read 12,241 times
My husband and I spent 4 days in Blue Ridge and loved the area.
We live now in Fort Lauderdale and he can retire in November.
We are thinking about to move to Blue Ridge area.
Should we move??? Or will be very small city to us??
But we don't mind if the city grows.
I am from Brazil and i miss the mountains. But I could not live in a rural area. I prefer have some neighbors around.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:25 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,560,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Actually not a bad suggestion, considering that the OP wants to avoid the encroachment of future development.
But, if your heart is set on a mountain locale, here are my suggestions:

Bristol, TN/VA
Johnson City, TN
Galax, VA
Harrisonburg, VA
Any of the Shenandoah Valley, VA communities

Here's an article on author Jan Karon, a former longtime resident of Blowing Rock, NC. She was so put off by the influx of tourists and new residents there that she 'ran for the hills'; the 'hills' in this case were located in bucolic Albemarle County, VA.

USATODAY.com - Jan Karon finds redemption in rural Virginia

Lovin' I have to challenge ya on this one since I am from that neck of the woods.
In comparison to Blue Ridge, one could fit a dozen Blue Ridge towns in Harrisonburg VA and Bristol, TN.
Albemarle / Staunton VA up the 81 corridor to Winchester VA has been taken over by Washington DC.
My little back wood town where I grew up had a blinking light a county high school and we did not see a McDonald's until 1982. Fast forward to present, the county has over 100,000 people, schools are over crowded, and little town gone. This is wide spread throughout the Shenandoah corridor.

Galax, VA is also a little larger than Blue Ridge GA with a Meth problem from there to Danville that will make you do a double take.

Yes, Blue Ridge GA has become a "little" getaway for Atlanta folks but not in the nature of Lanier or Brasstown in Union County.
Blue Ridge is my second home. Downtown is very nice, people are very friendly, the stores etc., are dog friendly and it is still a breath of fresh air.

As a native of the Shenandoah Valley and yes it is very beautiful I to this day would still take Blue Ridge over that. Besides you can't find "Fried Pie" in the Shenandoah Valley!

Now keep in mind I may need some edcucation here and granted I have had comments from the locals in Blue Ridge, but for some reason they do NOT like Floridians Or as one local told me "The only thing a Florida tag is a transplanted New Yorker that has already screwed two places up, now they want to come up here and do it again! Strike three ain't going to be in our back yard"

I love Blue Ridge, GA.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:06 PM

4 posts, read 12,241 times
Default From Florida

So, if my husband was born in Florida and I was born in Brazil , we are " persona non grata " in Blue Ridge?

People were very friendly when we were there for our vacation.

But If I understand, if we decide to live there is better think a few more times before final decision, correct???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia