U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2006, 06:41 PM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 4,813,634 times

Advertisements

We are relocating and considering a house that is waterfront with marsh view. Can anyone give me any disadvantages of being that close to the marshes? Bugs uncontrolable, snakes ??????
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2006, 07:48 AM

14,090 posts, read 4,098,742 times
Hi theqbaby,

My husband and I live on the marsh in North Florida. We absolutely love the view. We are native North Floridians. Our house and lot are about the only thing keeping us in Florida however. We have so much overdevelopment around us. We are truthfully trying to find someplace else to go. But that being said, yeah, our marsh lot is the best. The mosquitos and no seeums are a little bad, but usually not in the heat of the summer. If it wasn't for being able to get up and see the sun rise every morning over the marsh and not having any houses behind us, I'm afraid we would have already been gone.

The one thing we worry about is the hurricanes. In 2004 we really did not have a buffer from several of the hurricanes that hit Florida. That was scary.

Best of luck in your decision.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:07 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,929,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby
We are relocating and considering a house that is waterfront with marsh view. Can anyone give me any disadvantages of being that close to the marshes? Bugs uncontrolable, snakes ??????
Um... YES!

Marshes = gators (in your yard no less). Common snakes are Copperheads (not deadly but painful) Cottonmouths (can be deadly) and if you're near the okefenokee, you can look forward to the growing problem of Anaconda snakes (8-18 feet long) - someone set some loose decades ago and now they say they're becoming a problem.

Mosquitos - it's a marsh. Yes.

Marshes are neat places to visit and take photos - but if I wanted to live in the Amazon, I would. I'll stick to dry land

Old 08-02-2006, 10:31 AM

Default marshes

Currently we live on a canal. We are considering a place in Brunswick. Found a very accomidating house on a private estate. Oak grove area. Do you know if this is part of the okeefenokee swamp ? It IS deep water access with the marshes in the back yard (of course) . We will be renting, so if we don't like it we are not tied to it for too long. Already thinking of ways to gator proof. Gators I'm not really afraid of, thier big enough to be visible. The snakes concern me a bit. ANDACONDAS ???????? Really !!! WOW . I never believed in owning a gun, but my thoughts are changing.
We really want to be in a private setting with land. We originally thought of Tennessee. But my husbands job offered us a relocation to Georgia for at least 1 year. I think this would be a good test to see if we really are the types of people to be in the woods !!!

Old 08-02-2006, 10:40 AM

Just found map of area, and not near okefenokee !!!! Hurray

Old 08-02-2006, 10:50 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,929,859 times
Yep.. Anacondas. They had a TV special about them. Apparently some doof in the 60s or 70s turned a couple of these things loose in the swamp and poof - they started having babies. They have grown in number that now they're considered a "concern" they said by some in the management areas, because they will go after larger mammals that in the past really didn't have any predators. To my knowledge there hasn't been any reports of one attacking a human though - although I'm sure they WOULD if they were hungry enough and the human small enough.

One did get bold and try to swallow an alligator in the Florida Everglades not long ago (it exploded trying to do it). Maybe that was a giant Python - oh well, they have both.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:14 AM

oh yes, I heard about that snake-gator situation. We live in Fort Lauderdale and it was all over the news. It was a Burmese python. I am not so much concerned for us, more for my dogs. We have owned pet snakes in the past, and have realized how hard it is to get rid of them once they get too big. My son being 16, now wants anohter one. I don't think its a good idea, and fight it all the way. Not because I'm scared of them , just because of the responsibility. I WILL not let any pet go that I have. That is simply irresponsible. And it practically impossible to get rid of a 6 foot snake. Even the zoos don't want them because they already have so many. We ended up giving it to a man that worked at a pet store.
So far, I don't see mother nature changing our minds on the location. We are nature lovers. My husband has brought home sooooo many snakes, iguanas, birds, and dogs home that he has found on the street. Funny story, we have Australian Shepherds. And one day on his way home he found one walking the streets, so he brought it home. We finally contacted the lady who owned him, after many hours of putting off our plans, and come to find out, my husband took the dog right out of the dogs front yard. I always know the tone of my husbands voice when he says " I got a present for you" that it is of the breathing kind. Something more to care for. Thank God it hasn't happened in a while !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or