U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:40 PM

7 posts, read 23,003 times

Advertisements

Most people i've met from Atlanta tend to think their better just because their from Atlanta, and this is true of most black people i've met from Atlanta .They're always talking about how and why Atlanta is better and complaining about other places. People get tired of it. In my opinion they're worse than New Yorkers. It depends on the attitude you went down there with, because it's not always like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 09:43 PM

23,120 posts, read 36,710,352 times
I've never heard such nonsense in my life.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:31 AM

2 posts, read 4,519 times
Kwil pretty much hit the nail on the head. When it comes to the younger population of blacks in Savannah, we do tend to be hasty when it comes to people from Atlanta simply because they come to Savannah thinking they're the s*** and tend to talk bad about Savannah when it doesnt meet their expectations (seemingly because SAV isnt as advanced or as fast as ATL). I can confirm this because I am 22 and use to have the same attitude toward people from Atlanta (as well as most teens) when they came down to SAV. Its kinda like if your a Georgia fan and you go to a Florida game sayin eff the gators, chances are your going to have a rude awakening from the fans, same with our city. If you dont like the smell, or think its slow and boring than leave. We're not going to allow anyone to bash our city because we have to much pride and love for it...

Old 04-26-2010, 11:03 AM

1,352 posts, read 3,963,376 times
Its only tension between urbanists. Savannah developed a few city blocks of slums into shopping slums (go on, go there after dark) and few people are thinking it is the best thing since like ever and then you have atlanta saying look at us and back and forth and back and forth

reality is both are crime/bum ridden decay holes and only pass as "downtown" cores between 10am and 4pm. Both cities operate on the idea that if you build it, somehow it will magically fix itself. Well not... you need to clean it and enforce it. But nobody wants to do that

regular people and visitors couldn't care either way.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:46 PM

799 posts, read 969,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoi912 View Post
Kwil pretty much hit the nail on the head. When it comes to the younger population of blacks in Savannah, we do tend to be hasty when it comes to people from Atlanta simply because they come to Savannah thinking they're the s*** and tend to talk bad about Savannah when it doesnt meet their expectations (seemingly because SAV isnt as advanced or as fast as ATL). I can confirm this because I am 22 and use to have the same attitude toward people from Atlanta (as well as most teens) when they came down to SAV. Its kinda like if your a Georgia fan and you go to a Florida game sayin eff the gators, chances are your going to have a rude awakening from the fans, same with our city. If you dont like the smell, or think its slow and boring than leave. We're not going to allow anyone to bash our city because we have to much pride and love for it...
Oh okay I see. The thing about that is most Atlanta natives(people who was born and raised in Atlanta) don't tend to think that way, contrary to popular belief. It's most transplants that seem to give us this bad rep. even though we open everybody else with open arms.

There ain't no hard feelings I'm just looking for unity as far as ATL and the rest of the state, but we all know great feats don't happen overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Dude, it's pretty simple and I'm pretty sure you know the answer. Mainstream hip-hoppers (keyword: MAINSTREAM) are all about representing your hood and trying to prove how "tough" or "gangsta" you are. A)That's not just Atlanta and Savannah, that's anywhere and even within the same cities/areas....it can even be different streets on the same side of town.....pathetic.

It seems to cause the most conflicts with places that are near each other though,
i.e. Columbus, GA Vs. Phenix City, AL.......Warner Robins Vs. Ft. Valley.....

B) I'm more alternative hip hop (aka...Upscale, dress code, R&B type of hang out...as opposed to thugged out spots).

Anyways, for everybody thats civilized and not on that dumb stuff, there is no real conflict.

C)What you're describing is the same type of "rivalry" that goes on even within the same town ...when Dude 1 says "F YOU!!!" to Dude 2, just because he stays on a diff street.
A) I understand that it's just that from what I've seen ATL and SAV have something of an intense rivalry, then any other areas in the state of GA or maybe it's more high profiled.

B)The alternative hip hop is making more of a mainstream presence then the
"thugged out" hip hop, which I have no opposition to

C)Lol, true but that's with some of the inhabitants, it's mostly unity within city/metro limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Atlantans arent the only ones who do this....but what I have noticed with alot of Atlantans is that they seem to think it's perfectly fine to be snobbish toward other less urban, less populated places in GA.....but when people from places like Boston/DC/NY/SF/Chicago have a similar attitude toward Atlanta, the same "holier than thou" behavior they exhibit towards non-metro Atlanta parts of GA all of a sudden becomes a problem when people from other places act that way towards them.
Like I said that is really not the case with most of the natives of the A, we really have open arms to any outsiders to the Atlanta/Metro area, we might come off as a showoff or snobbish but we don't go to other areas and say "F this place" unless they say it towards us first or they come off this way. Especially when it comes to the hip hop community

Old 05-06-2010, 10:23 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,010,378 times
I've been in GA for most of my entire life and never heard this specifically about Savannah but I have heard of it regarding south Ga as a whole. There was also an article here stating that Atlanta actually does not receive its fair share of tax benefits compared to what the Atlanta area pays out, so that should not be the reason.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:35 AM

1,352 posts, read 3,963,376 times
That is so, but if atlanta received its fair share, the rest of the state would go bankrupt.. ive no love for a lot of small municipalities but we can't just abolish the state and cram everybody in the perimeter (which is actually quite doable really.. scary as it may be)

Old 05-10-2010, 01:39 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,738,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
Its only tension between urbanists. Savannah developed a few city blocks of slums into shopping slums (go on, go there after dark) and few people are thinking it is the best thing since like ever and then you have atlanta saying look at us and back and forth and back and forth

reality is both are crime/bum ridden decay holes and only pass as "downtown" cores between 10am and 4pm. Both cities operate on the idea that if you build it, somehow it will magically fix itself. Well not... you need to clean it and enforce it. But nobody wants to do that

regular people and visitors couldn't care either way.
I suppose if any of that were even half true then both of these cities would not rank so highly as tourist places to visit and live.If there were real decay then Downtown Atlanta would be LOOSING population.That simply is not the case.Also the crime Downtown Atlanta is lower than the entire average for the City of Atlanta.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:27 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,738,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
That is so, but if atlanta received its fair share, the rest of the state would go bankrupt.. ive no love for a lot of small municipalities but we can't just abolish the state and cram everybody in the perimeter (which is actually quite doable really.. scary as it may be)
Do not think that is true at all.Savannah,Augusta,Columbus,Macon all contribute heavily to the coffers of the state.Especially Savannah with the Ports Authority.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:02 PM

799 posts, read 969,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Do not think that is true at all.Savannah,Augusta,Columbus,Macon all contribute heavily to the coffers of the state.Especially Savannah with the Ports Authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or