Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 17,889 times

Advertisements

Hi
We may be relocating to Ga from NJ. My husband may be taking a position in Athens... we like to find a small town..under 10k people. We Have 2 children 12 & 8 so a family friendly community with good schools would be a must have
Any suggestions on a nice town 30min or less om Athens would be a big help....actually any info on the area would be a big help!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 11:56 AM

125 posts, read 433,043 times
Watkinsville, which is maybe 2 mile from Athens. Seems to fit what you are looking for. Schools are among the top in the state

Old 03-12-2010, 09:51 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Watkinsville is about eight miles south of Athens in Oconee County. The downtown has done a good job keeping its ambience even with big-box retail being built in the Butler's Crossing and Epps Bridge areas.

Oconee County itself is a duality, with areas south and east of downtown Watkinsville feeling more like lonely, rural east Georgia, and areas north and west of downtown Watkinsville feeling more suburban and part of Athens -- and even feeling somewhat connected to metro Atlanta, thanks to GA 316 ad U.S. 78.

Farther away from Athens, I'd recommend three towns up by Lake Hartwell -- Hartwell, Lavonia and Royston.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:51 PM

5 posts, read 24,569 times
WATKINSVILLE is the best place to raise a family. STAY AWAY from Barrow, Clarke, and Walton!!
The schools in Oconee County are some of the best in the state, and certainly the best in the greater athens area.

For more information checkout: twinoakstrailforsale.blogspot.com

Good Luck!!

Old 04-28-2010, 10:34 AM

470 posts, read 1,500,405 times
Watkinsville is a great little town, schools are rated well, some private schools. Other areas you might look are Crawford, which is in Oglethorpe County. Maxey's still has a scholarship for children living in the town. Bishop is in Oconee County with Watkinsville, also North High Shoals.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:30 AM

44 posts, read 111,052 times
I would agree with the posters above if you are looking for a smaller town near Athens with good schools. It's a close ride to Athens for shopping and activities. Danielsville is about 25 min drive from Athens. Its more rural but not sure how the schools rate there. I use to work there when I lived in Athens. It was a nice little drive and pleasant people. But not alot of major shopping etc. there. You would probably have to drive to Commerce or Athens for major shopping(Walmart) etc. Watkinville would be the first place I would check out though. Good Luck on your move! I believe you will enjoy your time in the area. Check things out for yourself and do take into consideration what people who have experience in the area have to say but I have known people who moved into certain recommended places and found them not to be the best fit for them. I do agree with the previous poster about Maxey's in Oglethorpe county having the scholarship program, I had a former co-worker who lives there and she told me the same thing.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:42 PM

160 posts, read 530,840 times
Winterville is a nice area.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:44 PM

5 posts, read 37,366 times
Watkinsville is (by far) the best pick. As a native that has now re-located, I now understand just how lucky I was to live/grow up there. Schools rank 10 out of 10 on Greatschools.com. All elementary and middle schools are just wonderful (I still remain in touch with my own teachers from 10+ years ago). Each school possesses an amazing staff with high parent involvement. As a mom of three (2 1/2, 8 and 9) I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to enroll my children in Oconee's school system. I wish everyday that was an option for us.

There is also a great selection of home prices to choose from, some small (but great) restaurants there to choose from, but a 10-15 minute drive to multiple selections in downtown Athens. If you're looking for a smaller section of Oconee county, try the Malcom Bridge Rd area (Search for properties/neighborhoods off Malcom Bridge Rd, Lenru Rd., Rocky Branch -there are two of them in the same area; both are have nice neighborhoods- and Mars Hill Rd). This area is close to the Athens loop for your husband's commute, but far enough from the downtown district. (approx. a ten minute drive to Publix, Rite Aid, Walgreens, etc.)

Hope this helps...If I can be of any help, feel free to pm me.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:10 PM

205 posts, read 692,787 times
Where in NJ are you moving from? We are poised to do the opposite move... Georgia (Atlanta suburb) to NJ. My husband has a job in the Saddle River area of Bergen County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia