U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 01:52 PM

4 posts, read 6,945 times

Advertisements

We love Georgia and want to retire there someday. What are some of the better places with low crime, slow pace, and friendly to newcomers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 02:50 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,187,563 times
Towns County and Rabun County. If you like the mountain area.

Moultrie, Douglas, Fitzgerald, Thomasville, Bainbridge if you like flat lands, big sky.

You did not indicate any other particular desires. What you indicated is fairly broad.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:08 PM

4,593 posts, read 6,464,434 times
Pine Mountain, especially Callaway Gardens, is a nice retirement area.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:03 AM

23,120 posts, read 36,710,352 times
St Simons Guide - The Official Website of Saint Simons Island and the Golden Isles. St Simons Accommodations, Restaurants, Events, Entertainment, and more!

Old 04-15-2010, 01:07 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,335,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiadreamer View Post
We love Georgia and want to retire there someday. What are some of the better places with low crime, slow pace, and friendly to newcomers.

I'm particulary fond of the Athens area. It's a gem of a town and most people like its ambience and historical beauty once they enter the city limits.

The downtown area is quaint and is very easy on the eyes. Parts of the University of Georgia campus border the downtown area.

Yes, Athens has a lot of college students but Athens is becoming a retirement destination for many senior citizens. It's highly rated in retirement books.

Housing costs are pretty reasonable in Athens and very reasonable in the outlying areas very close to Athens.

The only Georgia Medical College is located in Augusta. However, big changes are in the works. As far as I know, the Medical College of Georgia is implementing measures to ex pand their present size by 60 percent.

On the UGA campus in Athens, and in other Georgia localities, medical students will be attending school. In the next few year medicial class sizes will increase.

I'm not sure, but I would guess in the not too far distant future the UGA campus in Athens might have a medical outpatient clinic which would be a huge plus for the area. All of this is relatively new so I don't all of the facts yet.

However I do know that the Medical College of Georgia, currently located in Augusta, will be expanding by 60 percent. And this big expansion is specifically targeted not only at the UGA but for other areas of the state. Much of it rurual.

Regardless, if I were retiring to Georgia I would locate within a 100 mile radius of Atlanta. There's so many things do to here, and of course the beautiful Georgia mountains are at your doorstep.

Lots of retirees are moving to the state so you would be in good company. Several national builders have built retirement communities here so those are options, too.

Good luck!

Old 04-15-2010, 01:46 PM

I live in Athens. The OP said they were interested in low crime, slow pace. Athens does not fit that bill. We are being taxed and "fee'd" to death by our "progressive" government. Our high school dropout rate is 50 percent. 30 percent of the population is in the poverty zone. There are better places regardless of what politically correct magazine suggest.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
I live in Athens. The OP said they were interested in low crime, slow pace. Athens does not fit that bill. We are being taxed and "fee'd" to death by our "progressive" government. Our high school dropout rate is 50 percent. 30 percent of the population is in the poverty zone. There are better places regardless of what politically correct magazine suggest.

Everyone has their own perceptions.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:25 PM

I don't deal with perceptions, I deal with reality. This is not an easy place for seniors especially ones more up in years. The traffic is heavy and fast. These students are always in a hurry. It would be one thing to live in Oconee County and come into Athens occasionally for a concert, but living here is another matter. In fact, I am looking to move out.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
I don't deal with perceptions, I deal with reality. This is not an easy place for seniors especially ones more up in years. The traffic is heavy and fast. These students are always in a hurry. It would be one thing to live in Oconee County and come into Athens occasionally for a concert, but living here is another matter. In fact, I am looking to move out.

That's your perception and that's your reality.

I once had a friend visit me from Los Angeles who is sadly no longer living. He remarked about how the metro Atlanta area is such a small town with little traffic and such a slow-paced life. That was his perception and that was his reality.

I view Athens like my friend viewed Atlanta.

Slow-paced and little traffic? I think everyone would agree living at the North or South Pole would meet this criteria.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:28 AM

Zel, I live on east side of Athens. Which part do you live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia