U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2010, 04:11 PM

132 posts, read 281,511 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move from California to Georgia. We'd like to step away from the frantic pace and high real estate prices and be near family. My husband is a building contractor and we still have kids at home. Our older children seem to be gravitating to Georgia, Tennessee and N. Carolina, so we're ready to relocate. I am attracted to the northern area because I like the mountain feel and definitely evergreens. However, we also need to keep my husband's occupation in mind and move where there will be work (he does primarily residential/custom homes and remodeling). Any suggestions for us? We are open to the idea of Tennessee and N. Carolina, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 08:50 PM

12,977 posts, read 12,742,735 times
Honestly, there is absolutely no work in your husband's line of business around here. People who have been established here for years are in dire straits. I can't speak for TN and NC. If he has work where you are, stay put for now.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:12 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,189,016 times
I would check out Knoxville area and Johnson City areas.

I am told by someone in banking in Augusta, GA area that the recession hasn't hit Augusta hard. You might check out the Augusta forum for more on that. Bankers tend to know what is going on.

Georgia's unemployment rate hovers around 10 percent. That is the admitted figures and of course does not include those who have given up and have fallen off the stat charts. It also doesn't include the many Mexicans we have here who do most of the construction. I live in Athens with the University of Georgia and a good bit of other government offices at various levels. The unemployment rate here is around 8.5%. It is bad.

Were I you, I would consider Dallas/Fort Worth area or something else in Texas. Sometimes you just have to go where the work is and right now, it isn't here from all I can tell.

Good luck.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:57 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,089,143 times
Something else I don't like about Georgia is the fact that a lot of the jobs now require that you have a Georgia Work Ready Certificate. Even if you have years of experience and a college degree, if you don't have the certificate they won't consider you. Myself and others have all tried to gain employment and was shot down due to not having it. But on the other hand I know of several who do have it and they are still out of work. You just can't win these days no matter what.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:23 PM

7,862 posts, read 15,285,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Were I you, I would consider Dallas/Fort Worth area or something else in Texas.
Only if you like flat, open spaces. North GA, TN, and NC have areas in high terrain with great scenery and foliage. TX is prarie and flat.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:08 PM

9,807 posts, read 14,034,109 times
Without a job, eating the great scenery and foilage might be the result.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:08 AM

7,862 posts, read 15,285,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Without a job, eating the great scenery and foilage might be the result.
You should never base where you want to live solely on a job. You may change jobs or careers, but you live and raise a family and have to be happy doing it. I'm not a big fan of the weather in Dallas, and what I consider the general lack of landscape beauty in TX. I've been to Dallas many times and just never liked the culture.

Now the women in TX....that's another story.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:51 AM

101 posts, read 329,141 times
What is a GA work ready certificate? Who needs one? Nurses? Nurses Aides?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia