U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 10:31 PM

37 posts, read 79,147 times

Advertisements

I'd be a New Englander moving South. Spent time in Fort Benning years ago; enjoyed the base and the woods but the area was kind of 'neck and excessively hot. I'm a community college instructor so need some sort of school nearby. Need clean air, so ATL is out. Prefer sun over rain. Antebellum architecture optional. Suggestions about any sizable town (20K+) in the Southeast appreciated. Swimming options without running into gators and snakes would be good, although that's asking a lot.

Thanks in advance for ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 11:24 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,314,690 times
Check out Dahlonega. It is pretty nice town, in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains so there's lots of woods and outdoor activities. There's NGCSU (North Georgia College and State University), so you could teach there. Also, since it's definitely farther north than Fort Benning, the heat will probably not be as bad. I lived there for a year and found it to be a pleasant place.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:18 AM

Good suggestion Ship. Looks like a NH town. Small though at 3K; I prefer at least 20K population, more like 100K. Air quality in N. GA is suspect. Rains a lot. Trying to get away from rain.

Judging by air pollution data, seems southeast GA is only option. Except for that square near the art school I was unimpressed with Savannah. Got creepy after dark; maybe it's where I was staying. Too bad it's not on Tybee Island. Maybe I should consider FL as well.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:42 AM

249 posts, read 508,265 times
Maybe even look at the south carolina coast. somewhere outside of charleston, maybe even the beaufort / hilton head island area

Old 04-19-2010, 05:33 PM

767 posts, read 2,057,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmo View Post
but the area was kind of 'neck
North Georgia has its own unique variety of 'neck. If you didn't enjoy the South Georgia variety, you won't enjoy the North Georgia boys either. However I think they will have a ball.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:40 PM

242 posts, read 539,752 times
Quote:
I'd be a New Englander moving South. Spent time in Fort Benning years ago; enjoyed the base and the woods but the area was kind of 'neck and excessively hot. I'm a community college instructor so need some sort of school nearby. Need clean air, so ATL is out. Prefer sun over rain. Antebellum architecture optional. Suggestions about any sizable town (20K+) in the Southeast appreciated. Swimming options without running into gators and snakes would be good, although that's asking a lot.

Thanks in advance for ideas.
Then Augusta and Savannah are out as well ('specially South Augusta). All of Georgia has their own variety of 'neck and I think my area of Augusta probably has the least...yet Federal Paperboard causes it to stink bad half the year unless the wind is blowing in the correct direction.

From this description...the mountain towns would be the best, or look into the Carolina Coast.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:05 AM

Thanks for all replies from folks who know. I liked SW GA, and thought I'd want to return. Not sure where, just a general sense. Probably had to do more with the sunsets, the red clay and pines, mimosa trees and that crazy kudzo vine. The heat did get to me. Of course I was running around in it in the middle of summer with full BDU, etc. But then months on end of frigid cold, followed by weeks of 30s-40s and rain gets to me too.

I thought Savannah would be my favorite town until I went there. First, being so close to the ocean but not being able to walk to it is a bummer. Not sure if people swim in that river? That would be a plus. It's very flat and hot and humid, like the air doesn't move. The main square is nice, more that antebellum feel; I was looking for more of that and couldn't find it. I didn't pick up a vital energy about the place.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:17 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,387,321 times
I would be careful taking any community college job right now. GA is in a deep decline and there are huge cuts coming at all levels. Find a job first. That will be your largest hurdle, and I would rent first since you could easily be cut next year if you do find a job.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:42 PM

I've taught at many places, many states. I'm a lecturer, not full time. Higher Ed is immune to the recession; enrollments are actually through the roof. Finding work is easy for me.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:20 PM

242 posts, read 539,752 times
Quote:
Thanks for all replies from folks who know. I liked SW GA, and thought I'd want to return. Not sure where, just a general sense. Probably had to do more with the sunsets, the red clay and pines, mimosa trees and that crazy kudzo vine. The heat did get to me. Of course I was running around in it in the middle of summer with full BDU, etc. But then months on end of frigid cold, followed by weeks of 30s-40s and rain gets to me too.

I thought Savannah would be my favorite town until I went there. First, being so close to the ocean but not being able to walk to it is a bummer. Not sure if people swim in that river? That would be a plus. It's very flat and hot and humid, like the air doesn't move. The main square is nice, more that antebellum feel; I was looking for more of that and couldn't find it. I didn't pick up a vital energy about the place.
If you live on Tybee Island you could probably walk to the beach. Then again, I hadn't been there for 6 years, so....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or