U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 02:41 PM

670 posts, read 2,774,700 times

Advertisements

Oddly we've had one at the first house we lived in here, I think it was a blue runner but the thing was huge. That's in a subdivision. Now we are in a different subdivision on a lake lot and knock on wood none yet. I don't like snakes really at all.

But ironically I ran into more snakes (Rattlesnakes mostly) in California in areas that weren't suppose to have them or so I thought. Then last week canoeing in Mississippi a copperhead...but that's in the boonies and to be expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 03:53 PM

5 posts, read 22,051 times
You say that snakes are mostly found in North Ga. What areas would be considered North GA?

Old 06-15-2007, 08:58 AM

138 posts, read 567,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSwan View Post
You say that snakes are mostly found in North Ga. What areas would be considered North GA?
To me North Georgia is White, Pickens, Hall, Jackson, Madison, Raburn, Hart, Dawson, Gordon, maybe Jackson, and anything north of those counties.

Of course it's entirely subjective and I'm not sure of the snake populations you would find in any of those counties

I think it also has to do with what kind of area you are looking in and how much it has been developed. 15 years ago I bet there were a lot more snakes in my area (and wildlife period) than there are now.

Although there is a very beautiful Red Tailed Hawk that lives in the trees in my neighbors back yard. He came over and landed on our gazebo the other day and I tried to get a picture but he flew away too quickly.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:37 AM

26 posts, read 106,280 times
Snakes are just one thing to consider. Did anyone mention Alligators?

Old 06-22-2007, 07:01 AM

138 posts, read 637,649 times
Default Snakes

I'm afraid of snakes too. I was walking in the neighborhood across the road from mine and came upon a pigmy rattlesnake. I ran up the hill as fast as I could screaming. Of course I probably scared the tar out of the snake as much as he did me.

We don't have snakes in our yard. I know this because we have skinks (lizards) and mice. I have heard that they do get in pools.

As for alligators, we live near Robins AFB which is mostly swamp and yes we have seen alligators, wild boar, bear, and panthers. Gads.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:04 AM

138 posts, read 567,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altamaha View Post
Snakes are just one thing to consider. Did anyone mention Alligators?
You will not find any Alligators in north Georgia suburbs.

They are typically found in Georgia south of the fall line which connects Columbus, Macon, and Augusta. They don't reproduce north of the fall line.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:51 AM

5,893 posts, read 16,391,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdemartini View Post
You will not find any Alligators in north Georgia suburbs.

They are typically found in Georgia south of the fall line which connects Columbus, Macon, and Augusta. They don't reproduce north of the fall line.
Don't bet on that. We have alligators here in North Alabama, around the Tennessee River. And have had them since the 1950s. They were originally imported, but they're still there.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:03 PM

24 posts, read 113,101 times
Alright everybody - thanks so much for your replies....but I have to be honest, I don't think i was breathing at all as I read your posts. ha. I'm a big chicken I guess.

Of course, once I heard about the snake thing i thought, well, that cancels out any desire for a house on a lake or w/a lake view...then my husband calls and he's found some houses he loves on a lake. Wonderful.

I just never thought of it. Yikes.

So - next question....WHAT ABOUT BUGS?? (and ticks? here in W. Mass we worry about Lime disease...what about there in GA?) We are looking for a house in Gwinett co. or southern/eastern Forsyth Co.

What wonderful things do I have to look forward to in the BUG category?? (I'm going to post a sep. thread for bugs, just in case none of you come back to this one.)

Thank you for all of your replies!!

Old 07-04-2007, 04:48 AM

10,193 posts, read 20,920,093 times
Why don't you save yourself a lot of trouble and simply use the search option and read about bugs in other threads? This is a common topic and gets some hilarious responses.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 5,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioplastic View Post
Alright everybody - thanks so much for your replies....but I have to be honest, I don't think i was breathing at all as I read your posts. ha. I'm a big chicken I guess.

Of course, once I heard about the snake thing i thought, well, that cancels out any desire for a house on a lake or w/a lake view...then my husband calls and he's found some houses he loves on a lake. Wonderful.

I just never thought of it. Yikes.

So - next question....WHAT ABOUT BUGS?? (and ticks? here in W. Mass we worry about Lime disease...what about there in GA?) We are looking for a house in Gwinett co. or southern/eastern Forsyth Co.

What wonderful things do I have to look forward to in the BUG category?? (I'm going to post a sep. thread for bugs, just in case none of you come back to this one.)

Thank you for all of your replies!!

Well your worried about Ticks I understand where your coming from but you really don't have to worry about them to much here I just came from Kentucky and the ticks are bad there I mean I would pick ticks off my son all day long and my dog forget about it she had to stay out cause I could not deal with it. But since I came to Georgia I have not seen one tick and I don't live that far from Gwinett CO. so I wish you all the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or