U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:27 AM

104 posts, read 416,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1963 View Post
You have to go to north georgia to see rattlesnakes.
Yea that aint so, I have lived in south Ga most of my life and there are tons of Rattle snakes in bainbridge, thomasville, waycross, all the way up toward ATL, and Alligators to! But I would not worry bout them, I would worry about the Gnat's and Mosquitos! But I still think there is no better place to live than the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 04:51 PM

8 posts, read 97,637 times
snakes are almost anywhere. there will be less around the city because there are less places for them to do snake things. My great aunt was bitten by a rattlesnake in her bed when she was 80 and somehow managed to live another 15 yrs.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 918 times
Gwinnett county has many copperheads. My husband was in the hospital for a week after being bit by a copperhead. This was in a neighborhood on the side walk during a late afternoon walk. This is not a rural area nor a heavily wooded area so be careful. It was in the month of May. Very painful and it took 6 months for him to recover.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:33 AM

83 posts, read 117,267 times
Edit: Sorry, realized the original poster has been gone for 7 years.

Not sure how many of these are also problems up North.

Poisonous bugs: Centipedes, scorpions, black widows and brown recluses (spiders).

Living there about 20 years, I saw about 3 or 4 centipedes, 2 scorpions, 2 brown recluses, and 1 black widow.

The centipedes and scorpions are smaller than the African ones you see on the Discovery Channel, only about an inch or two long, but still poisonous. Have found them crawling in our house sometimes. (Millipedes are harmless, darker brown/black color than centipedes which are light brown/orange, centipedes have what looks like antennas on their front AND back ends, a distinctive look. Millipedes curl into a ball when you touch them. But don't touch centipedes! If you're not sure, don't touch. :P )

Black widows have a very distinctive look, dark black spider with a red mark on its underside. If I see the dark black spider even before I see the red mark, I steer clear.

Brown recluses are probably the trickiest out of these because they look pretty similar to other brown spiders...be careful.

Annoying/harmful bugs: Termites. If you have a wooden-structure house, could be quite a problem. But there are companies who specialize in termite-traps and all that.

Fire ants. Watch where you step or sit outside! Bites are annoying and itchy, often with some swelling. Basically, a little more annoying than mosquitoes (and more, if you're allergic to them).

And obviously mosquitoes.

My least favorite: Wasps, hornets, yellow jackets. Bees to some extent (but bees are not aggressive).

About the snakes: Living in a subdivision for 20 years, only saw an adult snake once, slithering down a tree in our front yard. Didn't look like any of the poisonous ones, but it was big. Once saw a few baby snakes under the gutters, about the size of earthworms.

Last edited by SlowDriver; 04-27-2014 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: time edit

Old 04-27-2014, 07:49 AM

30,214 posts, read 28,113,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briteidea View Post
Gwinnett county has many copperheads. My husband was in the hospital for a week after being bit by a copperhead. This was in a neighborhood on the side walk during a late afternoon walk. This is not a rural area nor a heavily wooded area so be careful. It was in the month of May. Very painful and it took 6 months for him to recover.
Sorry about your husband, but yes, it's best to keep your eyes peeled for copperheads.

One of my good firends was bitten by a copperhead last fall while taking a stroll around the block. She was also on the sidewalk.

A few years ago another friend of ours was nailed by a copperhead when he reached into his pool skimmer.

Neither bite was fatal but they both had a lengthy recovery with much pain.

And the treatment is quite expensive -- well over $100K.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:21 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,878,714 times
Leaving the old revived thread up since it's a common question regarding a continuous concern.

Side note: The average cost today of a Copperhead bite treatment if you are uninsured (1+ vials of anti venom + 3 days hospital) is hovering around $200,000-$250,000 dollars. Even if you do have insurance that covers 70-80% of the cost you are still talking about shelling out sometimes upwards of $75,000 your part in worst case scenarios unless your insurance company pulls a ton of strings with the hospital to shave the prices down. Disgusting when you consider much of the anti venom allegedly comes from Mexico and costs them about $50 to make it, they charge the hospitals here around $500 per vial, and the Hospitals hike it up to as much as $100,000 to the patient.

Look very carefully where you are going, and don't reach into areas you can't clearly see in when landscaping, cleaning, etc. If on a narrow walking path, be especially observant.

See: http://www.cbs46.com/story/22285173/...or-over-150000
See also: http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/s...rts-say/nQTtr/

Old 04-28-2014, 10:55 AM

13,466 posts, read 21,834,209 times
I have to wonder why hospitals aren't held to anti-gouging laws.

We're still waiting for our first sighting this year, but, it will come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or