U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 09:58 PM

24 posts, read 112,904 times

Advertisements

My realtor and i were talking "critters" today - what she worries about living in GA, she's lived here all her life, she said there are raccoons, opossums, groundhogs, etc. But the thing she dislikes most are SNAKES.

I never even thought of that! YIKES!

Do snakes live in subdivisions??? ha!
Do they let them in gated communities??

Of course I'm joking about those questions -
But, she said she worries about water moccasins, copperheads and one other kind, I can't think of the name now. She also said she believes rattlesnakes are here.

So Georgians, what is your experience w/snakes at home, in your yard? Are they around pools, just water or everywhere? Will they be in my flowers and bushes!?! Yikes!!!

My girls would pick up a worm or small snake or frog or lizard if given the chance. However, if they saw a large snake in person, they would faint from fright and never go to that place in the yard again. I just know them.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 04:14 AM

279 posts, read 373,514 times
in atlanta, there are harmless gardner snakes. I"ve seen copperheads but those were on large undeveloped tracts of land. Rarely seen a water mocisan and i spent lots of time by creeks and rivers.
Generally, when they start developing a neighborhood, the bulldozers scare the animals to the next closest undeveloped area. It really depends on how much yard space you have.
You have to go to north georgia to see rattlesnakes.
Thus, you might see a harmless gardner snake.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:26 AM

10 posts, read 53,984 times
My backyard is infested with gardner snakes. Probably because I have alot of dense shrubbery and monkey grass. Only kind of snake I've ever seen in my backyard so far. I've never actualy had one even attempt to bite me if I pick it up, although they will take a **** on you sometimes ( one of their defence tactics )...LOL.

When I was around 10 or so I stepped on a copperhead at my grandfather's house in Molena. Went to the ER, but luckily they concluded it was a dry bite. It bit, but didn't inject any vemon into me.

I've never seen a rattlesnake in the wild, but heard one once in some thick grass ahead of me while fishing at lake oconee. I felt it was best to avoid curiousty and take another path to the lake.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:22 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,274,493 times
Absolutely...
don't know which part of GA you are referring to, but on Friday, I saw 3 snakes (2 dead in the road, 1 alive trying to cross the road) in my subdivision alone. I've never had any in my yard, but I am one of the few in my subdivision that does not have a wooded lot (and that was my preference) because of this very reason. I have two small children and snakes and ticks concerned me greatly so I decided against buying a wooded lot...
Around here we have black rat snakes, copperheads, common garden snakes, and we have seen timber rattlers...

Old 06-10-2007, 08:39 AM

1,459 posts, read 4,468,698 times
I have seen 2 or 3 black snakes in my yard over the past few years, and have seen a couple of baby copperheads. This is in a Gwinnett county subdivision, with a wooded yard.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:38 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,791,049 times
West Cobb here. 9 out of 10 times what you'll see around here is a Rat snake or an "Earth Snake" (brown or gray, look like big worms only with snake heads). Not a problem for people and most of the time get killed by dogs. There are Copperheads around but since me and most of my neighbors have dogs, they tend to stay away.

As others have said, you mostly have to go to North Georgia to see Rattle snakes, and supposedly they're "extinct" in metro Atlanta, but people now and then say they see them. A couple of years back a guy was bit by one on the Silver Comet Trail in Smyrna when he picked it up (Duh).

Old 06-11-2007, 11:14 AM

348 posts, read 945,833 times
We live in a subdivision and my kids found a large black snake in the yard last weekend. They are building a subdivision next to us (the joy of living in Georgia, everyone moving here = thousands of subdivisions taking over the beautiful land ) This snake was about 4 feet long. I figured it was a harmless rat snake, but didn't want it in my yard so I was chasing it out with the hose, my kids said it looked like it was going to strike me and the inside of its mouth was white (cotton mouth) we have a creek that's a short distance from us, plus the retention pond a few houses up. I read that water moc's can be some distance from water, plus the drought we are experiencing probably dosn't help matters. My neighbor came over and relieved us of the snake

Old 06-11-2007, 03:11 PM

726 posts, read 3,338,347 times
Quote:
2-year-old girl bitten by venomous snake still recovering
islandpacket.com | 2-year-old girl bitten by venomous snake still recovering (broken link)

islandpacket.com | How can you prevent a dangerous snake encounter? (broken link)

Old 06-12-2007, 01:00 PM

7 posts, read 45,273 times
I don't know how many people have died from a snake bite in Georgia since it was settled 300+ years ago but probably less than a dozen. Dogs and lightning kill many more people in Georgia. From what I've read most accidents are caused by religous snake handlers, "rattlesnake roundups", and drunk people. Everytime a subdivision gets put up there's going to be less venemous snakes (among other animals). Black rat snakes and garters don't seem to mind them as much.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:15 PM

138 posts, read 565,912 times
I've lived in GA my whole life pretty much, and I've seen maybe 10 snakes? Seen maybe 2 venomous snakes at a lake at most.

We currently live in Buford and had a black snake in our pond a few years ago but haven't seen him in a while. (Wonder if the cat or dogs got him?)

They really aren't that big a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or