Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 07:34 PM

7 posts, read 27,356 times

Advertisements

I considered a move to California from Ohio, however, after some research I've decided the high of living and lack of jobs there just won't cut it...
Warm climate, reasonable housing cost, good schools, good job market and culture are important to me, not necesarrily(sp?) in that order..Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 10:50 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzradie View Post
I considered a move to California from Ohio, however, after some research I've decided the high of living and lack of jobs there just won't cut it...
Warm climate, reasonable housing cost, good schools, good job market and culture are important to me, not necesarrily(sp?) in that order..Any thoughts?

You really need to explain what your looking for. If you have a 'carpet bagger' mentality, then you should stay away from GA. The...'well back in Cali we did things this way' attitude will not get you far at all, here.

Now if you're just asking whether GA would be better than Ohio, than that's pretty much hands-down, GA is better than Ohio in every way imaginable.

The climate here is warm, but it does get cold sometimes...Housing is reasonable, at least compared to Cali, but you may not necessarily find the same things here that you would find in Ohio or Cali.

Here housing is very boring...Most of the 'affordable' housing is in the very bland and boring suburbs...The '8 tennis courts and a pool, everybody has 2.3kids that play soccer (or lacrosse the new wannabe yuppy sport of choice), I'm some type of sales exec or a uppper mgmt weenie, gated, ' type of neighborhoods. So no you won't find very many 'real neighborhoods, but you will definately find safe, comfort, and good schools. Culture, there really isn't much unless you go inside the perimeter. Job market, not sure, i've heard things are so rough in Atlanta, but at least for what I do, I feel safe knowing I can always find a job in the metro area. In fact 'jobs' are the main thing that have kept us from moving out of here. There are a few places we would love to relocate to, but have just never felt nearly as secure about the job situation if we moved there vs. staying in the ATL area.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:15 AM

Thank you.. you gave exactly what i was looking for.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:29 AM

44 posts, read 111,096 times
I have lived in Georgia and now Ohio. I would agree with GAisGreat above that Georgia in my personal opinion is a very great state to live in. The weather is nice and I loved the mild winters. The Southern hospitality my family experienced in Georgia was great. We were only fortunate to live in Georgia for three years.My husband was transferred last summer to Ohio and it has been an adjustment. However, there are things we like about Ohio npw. I am a native of West Virginia so I am a transplant to both Georgia and Ohio. But as an transplant, I can say that Georgia was easier to adjust too than Ohio. My children miss Georgia alot and my youngest wants to go back. We had a wonderful time living in Georgia some of the fondest of our lives to date. Good luck on your decision. I would say that the summers in Georgia are really hot and humid and it was a big adjustment at first, but you just get used to it. We also got more house for our money in Georgia compared to Ohio. Taxes were less in Georgia compared to what we pay here in ohio for real estate and the additional local tax you pay to the town your work in here. We didn't have a tax(local) like that when we lived in Georgia that I can remember.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJW View Post
I have lived in Georgia and now Ohio. I would agree with GAisGreat above that Georgia in my personal opinion is a very great state to live in. The weather is nice and I loved the mild winters. The Southern hospitality my family experienced in Georgia was great. We were only fortunate to live in Georgia for three years.My husband was transferred last summer to Ohio and it has been an adjustment. However, there are things we like about Ohio npw. I am a native of West Virginia so I am a transplant to both Georgia and Ohio. But as an transplant, I can say that Georgia was easier to adjust too than Ohio. My children miss Georgia alot and my youngest wants to go back. We had a wonderful time living in Georgia some of the fondest of our lives to date. Good luck on your decision. I would say that the summers in Georgia are really hot and humid and it was a big adjustment at first, but you just get used to it. We also got more house for our money in Georgia compared to Ohio. Taxes were less in Georgia compared to what we pay here in ohio for real estate and the additional local tax you pay to the town your work in here. We didn't have a tax(local) like that when we lived in Georgia that I can remember.
thanks for the input..where in Georgia did you live?

Old 06-23-2010, 05:58 AM

18 posts, read 37,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJW View Post
I have lived all over this country including Cali(Ex-Navy Brat) and I have to say GA is the best place to lay down roots.
Since my family and I have moved here from VA we get more bang for our buck. The cost of living is great and yes you pay local tax but it is so low you could care less. There is so much to see and so much to do.
I love it so much here that I get sick when I have to leave but as soon as I see that Welcome to GA sign on 85 I get well real quick.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:17 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,914 times
Yes GA is a great place to raise a family. With our children, we lived a short time in Michigan also, which is very similar to Ohio. In just a few months up there, our kids experienced things far worse than they ever have in GA. And we were in one of the top areas in the state. In elementary school they saw things that most high schoolers aren't exposed to here. People are far more 'rough' up north than here. In general they are very miserable and curt. It's just a totally different mentality in places like Ohio, MI, Indiana, New England. The union mentality of the majority of people there play's a big part.

It is very easy to find many places in GA that are perfect for raising a family. Our biggest complaint is just the fact that we want to be close to the ocean, we have no problem with the economic, crime, schools, etc. situation, just not where we want to be the rest of our lives. And affordable housing is abundant. Yeah it's boring, but you're raising a family...Would you rather spend $2000/month on a dump up north that 'has character' and likely enough crime to make you feel uncomfortable and likely gang problems? Or for $2000/month you can easily find a place around Atlanta that you feel safe enough to not lock your doors at night and the worst thing your kids will see is some high school kid smoking a cigarette?

Old 06-24-2010, 11:27 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times
Grew up in PA, but lived in ATL for 7 years. I would highly recommend living in Atlanta GA over mostly anywhere. The people are more diverse, there is much more to do, and of course the weather is much better. You'll never get bored in ATL. People are upbeat and educated. You can find lots of culture and affordable housing. Move from Ohio to GA, and you will be so happy with the change that you may never return to Ohio again, unless to visit family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: