U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you could move to any of these with your kids, which would you choose ?
Peachtree City, GA 8 100.00%
Asheville, NC 0 0%
Louisville, CO 0 0%
Prescott, AZ 0 0%
Sedona, AZ 0 0%
Page, AZ 0 0%
Kingman, AZ 0 0%
None of the above, I would choose_____. (Please explain why) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 12:26 PM

55 posts, read 229,131 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I came across Peachtree City, GA and it sounds like such a nice place. I was wondering to all those who live there (or spent any period of time there) a few questions.....

What is the humidity like there yearly ? Is the summer very hot and humid ? Are the winters cool and damp ?

What about bugs ? I hear there are a lot of them in G.A. (down south), what have been your experiences with this - are there lots of cockroaches ? Do you need to put all of your food/cereal in the refrigerator (I know in places like florida/hawaii you needed to keep everything in the fridge or you would have ants/roaches in your stuff) - how is it in G.A. ?

Are the residents in this area very welcoming to new transplants ?

What are the public schools like ? Which elementary, middle and high school would you recommend ?

Is there a 'better area' in the Peachtree city (and places you would avoid living/going)?

Are these towns similar in Anyway to Peachtree city:
*Tyrone
*Sharpsburg
*Fayetteville

Would you consider living in any of those other towns, or is Peachtree city the best ?

On this site Moderator cut: link removed you can do a city compare - and with Peachtree city, GA under 'climate' it shows this:

CLIMATE
Rainfall (in.) 51
Snowfall (in.) 1.2
Precipitation Days 111
Sunny Days 216 277
Avg. July High 89.6
Avg. Jan. Low 33
Comfort Index (higher=better) 30
UV Index 5.1
Elevation ft. 933

Moderator cut: link removed

Peachtree City showed quite a low 'comfort index' compared to the national average - so I was wondering why that would be - is it because of high humidity there ?

If you had the opportunity to live anywhere in the continental U.S. with your kids - would you consider Peachtree City, GA ? Or would you move elsewhere ? I am flip flopping between this place and possibly out west somewhere (like Arizona: Prescott, Sedona, Page, Kingman). Wonder your thoughts on these questions....

Thanks so much for any help/insight you can provide !!

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 06:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 05:55 PM

248 posts, read 395,221 times
Well, I can't comment much on Arizona other than to say that Flagstaff is really nice to tourists who come down with kidney stones. Past that, all I can say is that it's a really boring state to drive across.

As for Georgia, yes, humidity is horrible here. Just can't get around it. That's why residents stay inside in the A/C during the summer.

But the flip side of that is mild winters, mild falls and springs that have to be seen to be believed. Yes, you pay the price for three months during the summer, but for the rest of the year you get it back with interest.

No, you don't need to keep your food in a refrigerator, unless you really live like a pig...and then not much of anything will help. Sure, we have bugs, but I've never been anywhere that didn't.

As for Peachtree City, it's a bit different. It's a planned community from the start. It's got trails all through the city and many residents get around primarily by golf cart. It's a really nice place for a family.

For that matter, so is Fayetteville, but Fayetteville is more your typical small town that grew up rather than being a planned community. The Fayette County school system (which services both Fayetteville and Peachtree City) is one of the better ones in the metro Atlanta area.

Personally, my big gripe with both of them is that you can't get to them. As long as you live and work there, they're both great. But if you have to drive to Atlanta to work...it's a major pain because no interstate goes through either of them.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:35 PM

22 posts, read 46,202 times
I was hoping you'd have more replies to your question 'cause I've been thinking about moving to PTC ever since I first learned of it over a year ago. I haven't been there yet and have no answers, just the same questions you have, and also concern over the drive time to Atlanta. I'd be working from home but would still like to be able to access the city easily, preferably by public transportation, first choice being a train which seem to be few and far between in the South.

I've lived on the CA coast for many years and have become spoiled as far as bugs and climate go, but would prefer getting back to the south. Would also like a place where a nice home is more affordable. What really appeals to me are the trails and the walkability of PTC; and think it would be so nice to not have to drive a car everywhere I go.

Have been having a rough time finding a community similar to PTC in my home state - TX, where sidewalks are almost non-existant outside of dense urban areas. The Woodlands north of Houston is the closest "thing" (or place) I've found to PTC, but golfcarts aren't allowed on the trails, and it's hotter and more humid than GA. Getting into Houston is a nightmare due to the traffic. Most of the homes are a bit far from the downtown part of The Woodlands to do on a daily basis, especially for running errands (like carrying groceries), without a golf cart, and in the Houston weather. It's bigger and more crowded than PTC, with more traffic. Not sure it would be safe for my son in his wheelchair to drive around on the trails, since there are still big streets to cross. In PTC there are bridges over some of the bigger streets, at least that's my impression.

Let me know what you learn, and decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia