Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 02:55 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
Even that won't work for guns. I've got a friend who got a pardon years after he served six months. Still can't get a gun.
Depends. Here is what happens:

State level felony pardon granted by some miracle:

rights restored on the state level. fed databases not updated/need further appeals and processing. firearms use federal and state data.

Federal felony as original offense:

you are up the creek.

Now keep in mind that you will never meet with the governor before he is out of office. You need to pass a bunch of boards and other evaluations before they let you anywhere near him, and before he even knows of your case. It usually works better if he is the one that initiates the process

Old 04-24-2010, 03:16 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
Unfortunately any crime that you commit will follow you the rest of your life. Felons cant get govt jobs & cant even vote. Keep in mind if you get caught with a firearm you will go to prison....guaranteed.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:27 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,571,826 times
I somehow think the OP knows the downsides of a felony record.

What is most bothersome about our "system" is it is easy to get an arrest record. It doesn't go away even if you were not charged, indicted or convicted of anything. You still have the arrest record. That makes it interesting filling out job applications. "Arrested on suspicion of........".

Old 04-26-2010, 03:51 AM

5 posts, read 46,767 times
good breain food so far, thanks, mine was a sate Felony thank goodness, but boy..I SO KNOW how FOULED up the system is--years after the whole thing was done and over with I was still volunteering at -anti-Drug meetings, personal consultations, shelters, even schools, on my way back from one such-I was pulled over for a brake light being out--when they ran my name I was informed I had a Warrent for my arrest !! My mind was blown away trying to think what I had done wrong-forgot my last fine payment? ect.--but when they got me to the police station--there was total confusion on why I was there, turns out there was NO WARRANT!--I bugged my old Probation officers for weeks afterwards to keep searching the data bases ect. on why it happened, nothing ever came up (I came to think that a newly hired dispatch officer had made some kinda mistake and they where just "Covering his/her hinney")-but boy it kept me on "Edge" for awhile.
found a bit new GA Law on the matter= an Lawyer showed me the papaers to "Cleaning up you're record, it had a ***FUNNY OPTION = you can put in the papers for a FULL Pardon/restoration of ALL rights, OR JUST THE RIGHT TO CARRY/BUY A FIREARM--but still have a "Record !!"(= cant vote ect.)
so as far as GA. is concerned, it looks like the right to own/buy a Firearm is more important than being a voting citizen..haha, NOW that is just GEORGIA LAW, and as mentioned above probebly does not count if you're felony was a Federal one.
wierd..

Removed by moderator - making such a request is not allowed.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 02-03-2011 at 07:45 AM..

Old 02-02-2011, 06:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,222 times
Gun/felony laws are federal

Old 02-02-2011, 07:41 AM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times
There ought to be a better way to restore someone's rights if they've paid their debt and are truly rehabilitated. For one thing, that encourages people to become productive members of society again. That's especially true in cases involving non-violent crimes.

Knocking people permanently out of society clearly has a lot to do with social class. Powerful people commit crimes all the time and are often not prosecuted, given light sentences or pardons.

And I don't say this as some sort of bleeding heart. I've got zero tolerance for dangerous people. They need to be stopped cold, and some of them are beyond hope. But it doesn't make sense to create a permanently disenfranchise everyone who has ever been convicted of a crime. Particularly those who've done their time and turned themselves around. Get 'em back in the game.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:24 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
There ought to be a better way to restore someone's rights if they've paid their debt and are truly rehabilitated. For one thing, that encourages people to become productive members of society again. That's especially true in cases involving non-violent crimes.
How can you determine when this is true?

A set time period without any indications, perhaps? With harsh penalties for those who slide back? That would make sense to me, anyway.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:16 AM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post

A set time period without any indications, perhaps? With harsh penalties for those who slide back? That would make sense to me, anyway.
That might work.

The truth is we really never know when someone might commit a crime. We only have to open the paper to see that zillions of people do it every day, and typically their friends and family say, "I can't believe he/she did that! They've never shown any signs that they might commit a crime!"

The argument could be made that someone who's served their sentence and been under close supervision for a number of years might even be a lower risk. I'm not entirely sure that's true, but it does underline the difficulty in trying to predict human conduct.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:10 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post

Some states do just that. Clean record for 10, 15, or 20 years, and you can ask for a clean slate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: