U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 01:57 AM

5 posts, read 45,678 times

Advertisements

got a Non-Violent/Non Weapon related Felony over 15 years ago, and have only gotten a single seat belt ticket since (Its wierd the way most of us think when we're young, and bullet proof), well my Father always took me fishing and hunting, and when I found out that an ex-felon cannot own a Gun or even a single round of ammo, I handed over my small gun collection over to a relative (who has since sold them), I was more interested in girls at the time anyways, but now, I really miss being able to Collect Firearms, especialy since my wife and two of my sons are interested in learning how to Maintain/Clean, and "hit the Gun Range" (I was the highest scoring Marksman in my pre-military class, I loved practice shooting). So is there a time limit, or anything I can do to have my firearm rights restored ? I have read alot of firearm Laws, but havn't found anything "Georgia" specific.
Any links or knowledge backed advice is Greatly Appreciated.
Please keep on subject, political/personal ranting /spamming is a waste of space.
Criminals know how to get a gun no problem, I am a Tax paying adult with a "Dunce" Hat Mark (Funny thing is, I finished and got my collage degree with a 4.0 GPA, says something about youth), and I cant believe that such a non violent/weapon Felony over 15 yrs ago would still prevent me from collecting firearms. Please dont ask why, many men & women "Collect" things, its just something we do, I just love firearms of all kinds, my Father & his Father did too, for some reason Fishing didnt "Hook" me though

Last edited by guttrender; 04-21-2010 at 02:05 AM.. Reason: repeating statment

Old 04-21-2010, 02:00 AM

58,549 posts, read 77,475,915 times
felonies count. paying taxex does not make them go away.
no you cant have a gun. too many post on cdf --- they feel a felony is no big deal and most wana gun. not good.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:19 AM

1,352 posts, read 3,964,593 times
Never expires. You need to appeal to have your rights restored.

If it was a drug felony.. dont even bother looking up the restoration procedure.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:04 PM

Thank you both for you're imput, though Huck's was more opinion which i was trying to avoid, if you want to go down that road, what is a Felony today (and then there is State and Federal) will not be tomarrow, and though many are solidly-moraly based others are NOT, some examples= Oral "Fun" is-I think- Still Illegal here in GA., another, a non-professional friend of mine got a Felony for getting caught taking home some kind of fish that is not legal to catch-so many years ago cant remember what the fish was named, another Law still on the books is you cant have any kind of frozen dairy food in anything considered a pocket (that one has me really confused) and if "so many saying just because they are paying they're taxes" is you're way of saying one person is better than another then my career is -Saving Lives..litterly- I save more lives in a month than a brain surgen does in a year, and since my kind of health service costs ALOT, unless you have a plat. kind of health inssuance the kids & adults that need it, cant afford it, so in almost every case I cut my part to peanuts or nothing or even donate what I can for the "outter costs" (X-Ray-early hospital-post recovery & just bills ect. since a person cannot work for the proceedure period), so at the end of the year I'm doing low middle class tax brackets, when other more stone cold accosiates are making 6-7 digits, and I spent 10 years of my younger life so I could do this, I have also gotten into the "Anti-Drug" fight, by spending my two "Call-in days off" doing shifts at a local shelter doing counciling, since the local county votes year after a year not to put any money into Healthcare(The Churches are the only reason such shelters can operate+ since I'm the only person in a 3 county area with any credentials willing to give my time -FOR FREE) but I beleive All AMERICANs to be Equal, thats why I really wanted this to stay on topic= IS THERE ANY WAY a person with an old non-weapon/violent Felony can regain the right to buy firearms.
CITY= Great imput, my local political pull in the anti-drug fight has made me old friends with the sheriff and the "Drug Judge"(our county puts ALL Drug related arrests/cases under one Judge, but the Sheiff after winning every election for over 10+ years, finaly lost to a new guy just this last election) and though Idid have my citizen rights restored with the help of other good people, when I looked more deeply into the paperwork ect. it never mentioned firearms, and that is why I began this thread. you hit the nail right on the head with the "Drug charge thing'" - I did not use "drugs", but the felony was caused by me Prescribing a MEDICATION just before I got my Legal lisicense, and though it was NOT a Pain medication that is now considered a "Drug", it really rides the fence on "White collar or Drug" type of Felony.
I've been looking into other "Blog" type information on the subject, still cant find anything for state of GA., but I'm starting to think this FORMAT for such serious issues is just a "Playground" for unknoledged prancing, and talk to my old friends, I was just hoping to avoid throwing money at another Lawyer, you're mentioning of it being a --DRUG CHARGE or not is a great asset to take with me into such an expense, or saving there of Thanks!

Old 04-21-2010, 03:26 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,189,016 times
Apply for a full pardon from the Governor. Since it is his last term, you never know. You might get lucky.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:21 PM

248 posts, read 395,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
Never expires. You need to appeal to have your rights restored.

If it was a drug felony.. dont even bother looking up the restoration procedure.
Even that won't work for guns. I've got a friend who got a pardon years after he served six months. Still can't get a gun.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:28 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,189,016 times
Respectfully, I think something is amiss with your friend's example. A full pardon reinstates all civil rights as if the crime never occurred. I suggest the OP check with an attorney. If he has local politicians who know him and can vouch for him, he may have a shot with outgoing Gov. Perdue on a pardon. Nothing to lose.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:48 AM

Thanks Ollie and everyone else, whats funny is I actualy DID correspond with the Gov. a bit back on another matter (a land value taxing issue--I have always tried to catch city & county meetings when I can, we had a bad zone taxing problem here awhile back). I Agree, a FULL pardon should do it, I just wish I could find out more about GA. Laws on the subject.
I did recieve a Pardon years back in the mail-almost threw it into the junk mail lol, totally suprised me, I guess one or more of the people I helped put in for it, but I didn't look over it very well except to be happy I could vote again. I need to get it out of my safe and maybe make a few calls if need be.
THANKS EVERYONE !!!

Old 04-22-2010, 04:59 PM

248 posts, read 395,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Respectfully, I think something is amiss with your friend's example. A full pardon reinstates all civil rights as if the crime never occurred. I suggest the OP check with an attorney. If he has local politicians who know him and can vouch for him, he may have a shot with outgoing Gov. Perdue on a pardon. Nothing to lose.
Obviously I'm getting this second hand, but according to him, there was a law passed that negates a pardon with regards to buying a firearm, and he has consulted an attorney.

Now, I don't claim to be an expert at all on this. What I'm reporting is hearsay...and not even very good hearsay because I don't have the details. I haven't been in that position (Thank God).

Old 04-22-2010, 11:30 PM

Yeah I'm very confused myself, even about my side of it (havn't found out if my felony is a form of "Fraud or Drug, ect.")but I've gotten some info.--a bit old though I think, that it is actualy Legal in the state of GA. for a person to privatly sell/trade a firearm to another person as long as the buyer does not know the firearm is going to be used in a Felony action (pre-planned I guess?)
Now this absolves the seller of any wrong doing, though even a handwritten note of sale is a good idea, but I have still not been able to nail down the "Buyer-Owner's" position.
I want to say 1st thanks for all the help recieved on this thread, and 2nd the reason why I'm useing this form of "Finding out", is I guess I don't want to go into a shop and get embaressed, like picking out the stereo you wanted and finding out at the register that you have a block on you're store credit with 3 other shoppers in line behind you
Whats strange is I prefer "Used/older" firearms over brand new ones anyways, the "Feel" of a used Rifle/Pistol has always interested me, what it might have went through, or "Brought down", My Father & I used to go "Picking" when i was a kid, like that show on history, mostly abonded big farmhouses, it was neat all the stuff we found, he collected old Glass "Canning Jars", but we also found 3 firearms (2 old shotguns, one an over/under!, and one nice Revolver, and 12 rolls of Confederate money! just some of the coolest stuff)
SO I think I can buy/trade a used firearm privatly, just not sure how a person can find out who is wanting to sell/trade an old gun, never seen a newspaper "Wanted" add for one lol
I still have my Fathers Cleaning & tools for taking firearms apart kits, I loved taking them apart, then cleaning & oiling parts & putting them back together, like taking care of a Car but without the backache.
Hopefully an expert in this matter will happen upon this thread soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or